Marrone and the TE Position

jjmac

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think our TEs as a whole are a lot better than they get credit for. Chandler is a good but not great all around TE. He's not a dynamic receiver, nor is he a proficient blocker, but he does both adequately - most guys do one or the other. Lee Smith is a very good blocking TE, he's just not that good as a receiver. Gragg is a 7th rd rookie who can't block for **** but may develop into a good pass catcher. And Moeaki is a big ?, but when healthy he's produced in the NFL. It's not a terrible squad, just one lacking star power.

These are good assessments, but I feel like most of us are on the same page with them (unless I'm missing a lot of comments of late). Chandler is an ideal #2 TE... a star at the position would likely help everyone out.

chandler is slightly above average hands with below average blocking.

lee smith is a mental midget and a penalty waiting to happen.

who knows what the other two can do.

I showed him this post and gave him your address so he could go over there and kick your ass. Lucky for you he just chuckled that someone would call a man of his size a midget.

Well I think the TEs fall Amaro, Ebron, A Seferian-Jenkins- I thought that Seferian-Jenkins might make it to our pick in the second round but with Gronk being injured again I think New England will take a TE high so we have to move ahead of them in the first round - I think Amaro will be there at 9 and the BIlls might move back into the mid-teens and still get him but you'd be taking a risk- I think Ebron goes in the mid-twenties, btw I think Ebron is very good but my preference is full sized TEs who can block, move the chains, good in the red zone and can split the seam occasionally (maybe more Jason Witten than Vernon Davis) I want a mixture of dangerous guys (Spiller, Goodwin) with grinders (SJ, Chandler, Amaro) in fact if I had a gripe with Chandler it'd be more about his blocking than his receiving - Colt is a 5th round gamble big talent and big character concerns - one thing I'd like the Bills to be able to do with their up tempo offense is to show a bunch of 6'5- 6'7 260-270lbs guys one play and a bunch of WRs who run 4.40, 4.36 and 4.27 the next .

I can respect that. I mean I want ebron. Even though he was made for Gailey style ball. But my order is Ebron just to add athletes. ASJ because I think he may be the best all around traditional style TE. And then Amaro. I think Ebron would fill the te void. Plus he looks the part of that big wr. I just dont know enough about Amaro honestly

#13 is not the top 1/3 of the league :) Also, he's way down the list for first down & TD catches, which is very odd for a TE of his physical stature.

The Bills can't be in the top 3rd of the league at all positions. People overstate how bad Chandler is. He's not great but he's a decent TE and while I wouldn't mind an upgrade if a good prospect drops in the draft I also don't expect the Bills to make it a priority as they have too many other areas in more dire need of a fix.

The Bills can't be in the top 3rd of the league at all positions. People overstate how bad Chandler is. He's not great but he's a decent TE and while I wouldn't mind an upgrade if a good prospect drops in the draft I also don't expect the Bills to make it a priority as they have too many other areas in more dire need of a fix.

They actually were in the top third on TE. Chandler was 13th in catches with 53 and 12 th in yards with 655. That is not bad production at all from the TE. The problem is he was the Bills leading receiver. Chandler has been a very good player for this team. That said, I would not be opposed to moving on given his age and lack of overall athleticism but it will be difficult to replace his production. Given other priorities for top draft picks, I would not be surprised if he was brought back if reasonably priced while they develop the younger more explosive guys on the roster.

He does fairly well as games progress, but seems to struggle at clutch times near the end. I'm not sure if he is just trying to hard or if he can't handle the immense pressure all of the team must feel. I am hopeful that the FO, and coaching staff can make proper assessments with all of their free time in another disappointing offseason, to ensure that us steadfast Bills fans have something to look forward to next January. I am thinking a first round bye would be a nice way to forget the pain of the last 14 years. Go Bills.

I showed him this post and gave him your address so he could go over there and kick your ass. Lucky for you he just chuckled that someone would call a man of his size a midget.

that dang auto spell correct is always getting me in trouble......

i tried to type ....lee smith is a mental might and a pentacle waiting to happen.

Btw, I was trying to do a little research on Lee Smith. The guy had more penalties than catches!! He had 5 catches (I know that he is a blocker) but that is wild. I cannot find his number of penalties but I think that I remember more than 5.

Wow. That's a surprising statistic.

Doug Marrone talks about accountability: this guy should not be on the roster next year. Period