What did you do today?

Just Jack

A tight ship indeed. We modify, maintain and operate four DoD owned Gulfstreams. They are not luxury ships. Outfitted with sensors and comm equipment. Years ago when we begin the contract, we were required to conform to very strict FOD (foreign object debris) and tool control policies. Every last tool had to be inventoried or disposed of. The mechanics have to shadow their boxes so anyone can tell at a glance if anything is out of place, and all tools are accounted for at the end of every shift.

I am an engineer. I design the systems that the mechanics are supposed to implement. I do electrical and mechanical systems diagrams/blueprints, among other things. Most mechanics enjoy criticizing engineers every chance they get. Because, you know, engineers are idiots. I am the only engineer in the company who insisted on having my own small set of tools, because I got tired of borrowing things and dealing with contemptible attitudes every time I needed to survey an aircraft.

So, when I misplaced my flashlight, I was obligated to report it within two hours. I even suspect that I might have been sabatoged. The result so far has been personal ridicule, managers meetings, policy reviews, forms and paperwork. My god, you would think that I lost plutonium.

Yep... Thanks... I am operator and enjoy poking fun @ the engineers... ;-P ;-P

NEVER get engineering innvolved! ;-P ;-P I work for the DoD directly... Did I ever tell you about our $3,000 (20 years ago) "smoking shelter?" It's the gold standard in all things structural! I can take it out with a chainsaw in 30 seconds. Also, our 1/2 million dollar cooling/heating system in our $20,000 building? Contractor made a mint on that one, and all he did was slam the gov't the whole time he was working! My boss actually got local bids for 50-60 grand... Nope, engineering had to get innvolved! Like sticking 20's on '76 Ford Pinto.

Sorry.. You will get no love from me... LoL... All in good fun! ;-P

We will dewater the lock in under 45 days... I can't wait to see that clusterph***k... :-O The only saving grace is we are doing all the major work in house... Just having a few contractors come in and do stuff like set up the scaffolding, etc...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this was interesting.....

[queasy stomachs leave now]

Driving back to the hotel after dinner and it's dark out. I'm on a service road parallel to the highway. See a car pulled over up ahead and as I'm moving over to the far lane, I see a body lying next to the road. Pull over myself and find the other car saw the same thing. It was a hit and run. The woman that was hit was awake but bloody, broken bones, lacerations (you could see muscle/fat). The other couple that pulled over were already on the phone with 911 so I played traffic control since it was so dark, waving at cars to move over to the far lane until the pros arrived. Thank God I didn't try to look too closely, what I saw was enough.

Well this was interesting.....

[queasy stomachs leave now]

Driving back to the hotel after dinner and it's dark out. I'm on a service road parallel to the highway. See a car pulled over up ahead and as I'm moving over to the far lane, I see a body lying next to the road. Pull over myself and find the other car saw the same thing. It was a hit and run. The woman that was hit was awake but bloody, broken bones, lacerations (you could see muscle/fat). The other couple that pulled over were already on the phone with 911 so I played traffic control since it was so dark, waving at cars to move over to the far lane until the pros arrived. Thank God I didn't try to look too closely, what I saw was enough.

They call them "frontage roads" in this neck of the woods... :nana:

Sorry... Couldn't resist.

WOW Jack, crazy story. Will you be able to keep in touch and see how she is doing?

They call them "frontage roads" in this neck of the woods... :nana:

Sorry... Couldn't resist.

WOW Jack, crazy story. Will you be able to keep in touch and see how she is doing?

Service, access, frontage, it's all the same.

And no, I won't be keeping in touch. She wasn't a "would ya".

Looking out a window at work (in the ghetto) at the nearby intersection (lots of wrecks) we see a lady in a mini van slam on her brakes, right after passing through said intersection, and jump out of the car, and cause traffic to swerve around, and fling open the side door to fetch an infant.

Our first thought was "look at this, another idiot, blah, blah, blah." We grabbed our binoculars to watch.

She started screaming for help, and a couple of cars stopped to help. Turns out her infant was choking or something. Some dude took control and turned the baby upside down an gave it a heimlich. Several other cars stopped (closed down the whole intersection) and a couple of minutes later there was two fire engines, two ambulances, and two sheriff cars. From what I could tell, the baby was okay after all of this.

The kid and mom left an an ambulance. Fireman drove off in the van. I hope everything is okay.

...they was a tremendous crash at this intersection last friday. Our surveillance cameras caught the whole thing. It was wild to watch.

any word on the woman's condition? If she was awake and alert I am hoping she pulled thru???

I don't know. Police basically let us leave as soon as they arrived since no one was a witness. Local news had nothing about it either.

Went to a 2-year-old's birthday party from 12:30 - 2:30. Was able to watch a little of the game on a kitchen TV (13 inch) until someone turned it off. Listened to the game on the radio from 2:30-3:30 whilst driving to the apple orchard. Picked apples and lost cell service, but by then, I knew it was over for all intensive purposes.

Came home, cracked open a beer, grilled some boneless turkey chops and enjoyed some leftover Boyst meat.

Not a bad day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...