Johnny Football vs. Duke (Possible draftees)

BringBackFergy

Quite the gamble for a guy whose own father doesn't like golfing with because of his inability to handle adversity without breaking clubs and causing scenes on the course, several alcohol related incidents, and of course a style of play that may not transfer to the nfl.

This guy is the real deal and he knows exactly what it takes to win. Sure, he's definitely immature and young (21 years-old), and college/NFL players have been accused of doing much worse. Who would you rather have; a "grown up" QB who sucks (EJ) or an immature 21 year-old who plays lights-out every time he touches the ball? Everyone grows up at some point, but not everyone improves their QBing skills.

I would trade our 1st pick, EJ, Byrd, Johnson, and Dareus just to be able to draft this guy. He'll instantly make every game winnable and exciting. I would get Ralph's opinion. He'll get this done.

Edited by kas23

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite the gamble for a guy whose own father doesn't like golfing with because of his inability to handle adversity without breaking clubs and causing scenes on the course, several alcohol related incidents, and of course a style of play that may not transfer to the nfl.

Fortune favors the bold.

We are all focused on the team getting back to the playoffs.........but ultimately the bigger picture is that the team needs to re-build the brand.

A couple cracks at the wildcard with a pedestrian QB isn't going to do much.

For a franchise with new ownership incoming........and a mortgage to pay.......needing a new stadium commitment in the next 8-10 years.........a gamble on greatness at the QB position makes all the sense in the world.

I like EJ and wish him the best but there has been nothing in his past to create a parallel to greatness at the QB position.

If they think Manziel is the guy.......then go get him if they can.

My guess is they can't....the best QB's should come off the board fast and with little hesitation. Clowney or now Clowney.

The Rams would be crazy to pass on a high quality QB whether they like Bradford or not. It's nice to have tons of first round picks but beside the fact that high picks have hardly been a cure-all for the Rams.......even if you do get a lot of good players with all of those picks you can only pay to keep so many of them for so long. Quarterbacks are in their prime 8-9 years into the league......for so many reasons they are the ultimate franchise building option.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

What part of his game on display yesterday would not transfer to the NFL?

About a half dozen hits that would end his season? Not being able to run around as effectively against better athletes this taking away some of those miracle second chance plays he gets?

About a half dozen hits that would end his season? Not being able to run around as effectively against better athletes this taking away some of those miracle second chance plays he gets?

Russell Wilson has no trouble running away from NFL defenders. As for running, A and M changed the offense significantly this year and limited his planned run plays. Manziel is fast--and fast is fast, even in the NFL. He will also likely have a far better O-line in the NFL.

This guy is the real deal and he knows exactly what it takes to win. Sure, he's definitely immature and young (21 years-old), and college/NFL players have been accused of doing much worse. Who would you rather have; a "grown up" QB who sucks (EJ) or an immature 21 year-old who plays lights-out every time he touches the ball? Everyone grows up at some point, but not everyone improves their QBing skills.

I would trade our 1st pick, EJ, Byrd, Johnson, and Dareus just to be able to draft this guy. He'll instantly make every game winnable and exciting. I would get Ralph's opinion. He'll get this done.

Everyone grows up at somepoint, eh?

You're no fun :P

He may well adapt to the nfl, but I can't say its a gimme. He's played very well in a very good conference. He's also got some real question marks if seriously discussing him though.

Russell Wilson has no trouble running away from NFL defenders. As for running, A and M changed the offense significantly this year and limited his planned run plays. Manziel is fast--and fast is fast, even in the NFL. He will also likely have a far better O-line in the NFL.

Russel Wilson is also 27 y.o and light-years more mature than "Johnny Football". Wilson may also have a better arm. To be sure, I didn't expect Wilson to have a lot of success in the NFL due to his size, but with at GREAT defense and some good WRs with a very good run game, he is excelling.

I was turned-off by Manziel's "leadership" on the sidelines last night. Now, I recognize that maybe I am wrong and his teammates may have been completely motivated, but I wonder how that goes over with NFL players.

I have also seen him throw up "hope for a miracle" balloons and that will certainly not fly in the NFL.

I will grant that he is definitely elusive and has a decent arm with a very quick release.

I do very much wonder how he'll handle adversity in the NFL and I suspect that off-field issues may de-rail him in the "league".

Wait....your earlier comment about Manziel and the SEC wasn't sarcasm?

No, he's just a hater.

Russel Wilson is also 27 y.o and light-years more mature than "Johnny Football". Wilson may also have a better arm. To be sure, I didn't expect Wilson to have a lot of success in the NFL due to his size, but with at GREAT defense and some good WRs with a very good run game, he is excelling.

I was turned-off by Manziel's "leadership" on the sidelines last night. Now, I recognize that maybe I am wrong and his teammates may have been completely motivated, but I wonder how that goes over with NFL players.

I have also seen him throw up "hope for a miracle" balloons and that will certainly not fly in the NFL.

I will grant that he is definitely elusive and has a decent arm with a very quick release.

I do very much wonder how he'll handle adversity in the NFL and I suspect that off-field issues may de-rail him in the "league".

C'mon Oldtimer, you can't be down on him for that kind of leadership, Marsha does it all the time. Johny's a smart kid he will know when to turn it up or down. Adversity will not faze him in the NFL, like he said last night after the game he didn't care about the halftime score it was 0-0 and just come out like dogs and play, how can you not love that. He was totally unfazed by possible year long suspension, this kid is a gamer.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Well now, we know that when a QB is drafted in the top five, he's automatically guaranteed to succeed in the NFL. :rolleyes: Stick with BB, he knows QBs. :lol:

Only Tebow won it in the SEC. None of those were considered 1st rd QB's. While Manziel will be probably be gone in the top 5.

No, he's just a hater.

His game IMO will not translate to the NFL for long term success. If that means I'm a "hater", then so be it. I have plenty of company out there.

Just like Charlie Ward, Gino Torretta, Eric Crouch, Jason White, and Tim Tebow. :lol:

You don't really think any of those guys are in Manziel's league do you?

Without predicting anything about Manziel's NFL career, and I do understand he has his critics who are justified, it's very clear he's a MUCH better Pro prospect than any of the QB's you listed there... B-)

Bingo! - I posted this in another thread:

My feelings on the matter aside, X's and O's aside, and back to the business end of this:

Would he sell seats?

Would the league and the networks be compelled to show more Bills games to a wider audience?

Would he sell merch?

Would he be a marketable personna for the team? the league?

Would the franchise become more valuable as a result?

Finally, does the Bill's FO have an appreciation/affinity for the marketing side of the business? ;)

If his skills translate to the pros, an entire new generation of fans of that team would be instantly created….talk about expanding the target market.

He'd sell seats for 7-8 games, then not if they aren't winning - like all other prospects.

Would the Bills be on TV more? Maybe, maybe not, but not long unless they are winning.

Would he sell much? What would he sell? I doubt the team would get rich on his jersey sales....

He would be marketable for half a season and not after unless he was the "real deal" - and I am not sure they'll be able to tell without better WRs, TE and OL play.

Would he be exciting? - Yes, for a while - a long while if he is winning, not long if he isn't....

You don't really think any of those guys are in Manziel's league do you?

Without predicting anything about Manziel's NFL career, and I do understand he has his critics who are justified, it's very clear he's a MUCH better Pro prospect than any of the QB's you listed there... B-)

I don't, but when someone mentions winning the Heisman, I just point out those guys to show that it means zilch as a predictor of success at the NFL level.

Well now, we know that when a QB is drafted in the top five, he's automatically guaranteed to succeed in the NFL. :rolleyes: Stick with BB, he knows QBs. :lol:

His game IMO will not translate to the NFL for long term success. If that means I'm a "hater", then so be it. I have plenty of company out there.

I think he will be hurt all the time as a result of his size and style of play. If he is forced to play a different style as a result, I do not think he will be as good as he was in college and could struggle. Combined with his red flags of already drinking to deal with his "celebrity" which living in College Station... being an attention whore... he is just not the type of QB I would want leading my franchise for the next 10 yrs. Not saying I am right, just my gut feeling. Loved watching him in college, Edited by YoloInTheBlo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.