WR Coach Ike Hilliard Released from the Bills' Coaching Staff

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but disputes are rarely simply one-sided. It was patently obvious that the WRs weren't on the same page as the rest of the offense at times well into the season. Ho-hum.

Kudos for the firing, I guess. :rolleyes:

Disputes probably have more facets then meet the eye for sure.

The offense was rarely in sync all around i might suggest. The running game was forced and did begin to become effective . But the passing game never looked natural. For a myriad of reasons i might suppose.

I hope the focus come offseason will be the offense.

Oh wait . maybe it already is ?

Marrone's big talk of accountability loses any meaning to me if he keeps his pal Crossman on as ST Coordinator. The guy has no track record of putting together ST schemes that consistently excel as part of a winning football program at the NFL level. A move by all rights is warranted IMO, but I'm not expecting it.

Cross Greggo Marrone and feel the wrath I guess. If Hilliard questioned the almighty Greggo Marrone he has to go. Crossman probably doesn't question him ever.

Hackett vouched for Ike when they brought him on and wouldn't apparently stick his neck out to save him... Mr. Hilliard was not universally loved during his 1 year coaching the Skins receiversI .remember his presser in DC when Mr. Hilliard was introduced to Skins fans and the local media and stated that " I command respect" when I walk into a room...knew he had not out grown the diva like attitude of a lot of today's receivers..good riddance, I know I don't like Ike

After the draft concluded, many of thought our WR corps were the best unit on the Bills. Unexpectedly, this year revealed that they were a weak link. Bye bye Ike. I also do believe he's a scapegoat.

One of many voids in our discussions here has been the subject of rookie wide receivers.

I've brought it up a few times but people would rather place the blame on passing inefficiency on a rookie QB and/or a rookie OC.

It was a commonly stated belief on this board PRIOR to this season that rookie wideouts usually have a very rough time of it.

Why is this common knowledge being disregarded now?

Name the rookie wideouts this season who made an appreciable impact:

Off the top of my head, Keenan Allen, Cordarelle Patterson, Terrence Williams.

JUST AS WITH ROOKIE QUARTERBACKS, rookie wideouts who have a veteran-like impact are very rare. Just as with rookie QBs, rookie wideouts who post good numbers are rare and are the exception, not the rule.

One of many problems the Bills offense had this year is that they leaned heavily on two rookie wideouts. This is a recipe for failure. When you add it to a rookie QB and a rookie OC, that's not a recipe for success.

I'm not sure what Marrone and Company expected Ike Hilliard to accomplish with what he was given but I do know that what he was given was a young, marginally talented, and unproven receiving corps.

It's hard to judge position coaches as a fan. I see the Bills one day a week. I don't know what goes on the other days in the locker room or on the practice field. I do know that our WRs were not very productive this season. Was that Ike's fault? Hackett's? The play of our young QBs? Or do our WRs simply lack talent. Hard to say but without evidence to the contrary, I have to trust Marrone on this one.

Marrone made an interesting comment that may hint at more moves, "We've already made one change. Ike Hilliard is no longer with us." I'm really hoping Danny Crossman is next. Marrone talks about accountability. Great. Hold Crossman accountable for crappy special teams.

Marrone made an interesting comment that may hint at more moves, "We've already made one change. Ike Hilliard is no longer with us." I'm really hoping Danny Crossman is next. Marrone talks about accountability. Great. Hold Crossman accountable for crappy special teams.

On the other hand, Marrone's comments could be viewed as offering Hilliard up as a sacrificial offering in hopes of satisfying the bloodlust of the masses.

Just playing devil's advocate.

Buffalo Bills website sez "philosophical difference" with Marrone

Nothing about another offer and nothing about someone else in mind

Usually don't fire a guy who is expected to get another offer in this business.

Ya philisophical difference was hilliard probably telling marrone: "hey dumbass, why you have TJ starting 90% of the snaps, he sucks"

Marrone couldnt bench Hilliard for a half like Dareus so he's just let go.

Ya philisophical difference was hilliard probably telling marrone: "hey dumbass, why you have TJ starting 90% of the snaps, he sucks"

Marrone couldnt bench Hilliard for a half like Dareus so he's just let go.

Perhaps Hilliard criticized Marrone for having Hackett serve as O.C. and Q.B. coach, asking Marrone if, perhaps, the lack of a Q.B. coach led to E.J.'s injury (not knowing how to slide) and lack of mechanical improvement. Perhaps Hilliard was then released for insolence, or "philosophical differences."

Or their "difference in philosophy" meant not letting his boys act like boys,

I recall training camp Vines, taunting penalties, game ejections and critical drops throughout the season from a unit that excelled most at acting like clowns. That's not the type of ship DM keeps...

On the other hand, Marrone's comments could be viewed as offering Hilliard up as a sacrificial offering in hopes of satisfying the bloodlust of the masses.

Just playing devil's advocate.

My bloodlust is no where close to being fulfilled yet... ;)

we will see - hopefully this is just a piece to the puzzle going into the offseason. im not sure why so many people are taking this as the only change that will happen. its still highly possible that between the friendship, and the higher level coordinator contract - its simply going to take a few more hours to finalize. perhaps he wants to handle it a certain way and giving it out at the press conference wasnt it.

You could be right. Maybe this is just a first step.

Maybe firing Hilliard was justified, I don't know.

Personally, I don't see the logic in keeping Crossman on the team.

I want to believe in Marrone, but if he keeps Crossman, he will lose a lot of credibility with his "Holding the team accountable" attitude.

Or their "difference in philosophy" meant not letting his boys act like boys,

I recall training camp Vines, taunting penalties, game ejections and critical drops throughout the season from a unit that excelled most at acting like clowns. That's not the type of ship DM keeps...

Now that you say that, I bet that Woods punch played a role in this.