Texans Hire Bill O'Brien as Their Next Head Coach

26CornerBlitz

Well...true...although I would argue that mcgloin didn't really play his way out of the job. He played decent enough. Probably Better than Manuel this year.

Regardless, if you asked me 2 years ago, I would have said mcgloin was a 3rd stringer at penn state, with ZERO chance at an nfl practice squad. Instead he broke penn state records after Obrien came on. It's stunning he STARTED an nfl game this year. 5 star qbs are lining up at penn state because of mcgloin and Obrien, who is getting the reputation as a great QB coach.

I think the tea leaves are lined up that he states at penn state this year. But i can see where this Houston job is tempting. But at the end of the day, I think Houston goes with lovie smith.

With a chance to grab the top QB in the draft along with a proven QB developer I can see why the Texans wouldn't mind paying the buyout.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me add one more layer since this is a bills board. Obrien and Doug marrone are best friends (I.e. best man in each others weddings - or at least in one of their weddings...I can't recall). Marrone came out last month and said he doesn't see Obrien leaving either.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/06/doug-marrone-says-bill-obrien-not-leaving-penn-state-for-nfl/

More plot thickening.... George oleary is a close friend of obriens. Together they set up a game (psu vs ucf) in Ireland next year, billed as o'brien vs o'leary. I gotta think Obrien is looking forward to that...although its probably the last reason to not take an nfl job.

Shefter is a bum. A week ago he was finally "able to report" that Obrien reduced his buyout making him more attractive to nfl teams. While grew, this was not breaking news, and not worthy of espn's home screen. Anyone following penn state knew this 6 months ago.

Schefter fluff piece: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/92044/obriens-reduced-buyout-widens-nfl-door

Real story from June: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/20/bill-obriens-buyout-would-be-affordable-for-an-nfl-owner/

The. Schefter comes out and says Obrien is the top guy and they are working on a deal (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10205777/bill-obrien-penn-state-nittany-lions-coach-working-deal-become-houston-texans-head-coach)

Then the owner of the texans says: not true. More interviews coming. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/28/texans-owner-says-other-candidates-will-interview-next-week/

Obrien tells 5 star recruits recruits and star QB not true. I'm staying.

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2013/12/28/5252328/bill-obrien-penn-state-houston-texans-thomas-holley-chirstian-hackenberg

Ten penn state picks up a new 3 star commit http://victorybellrings.com/2013/12/28/penn-state-football-recruiting-nittany-lions-add-3-star-ol/

Now the are interviewing wisenhunt, and people think its because talks broke down... This is ALL espn spin. It's house of cards...nfl style. Which coincidentally would make a great miniseries somewhere.

Based on everything I think i know of Obrien, the man is not going anywhere. Last year he did basically the same thing, telling his recruits he is not going anywhere. http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2013/01/bill_obrien_is_staying_at_penn.html

I gotta believe this is all smokescreens (by all parties). http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/28/beware-smokescreens-and-misdirections/. I'll believe it when it's announced. Not until then.

If O Brien leaves, PSU will have to get someone big. Pettine might be the right guy , I have no idea but if I am the AD I am calling Tressel.

I always thought OSU's violations were minor and over blown or is it too soon to bring in a guy that was busted for organizational control issues?

Edited by agardin

If O Brien leaves, PSU will have to get someone big. Pettine might be the right guy , I have no idea but if I am the AD I am calling Tressel.

I always thought OSU's violations were minor and over blown or is it too soon to bring in a guy that was busted for organizational control issues?

3 names likely to be discussed for psu.

1. Mike Munchack - psu grad

2. James Franklin, Vanderbilt HC

3. Greg Schiano

3 names likely to be discussed for psu.

1. Mike Munchack - psu grad

2. James Franklin, Vanderbilt HC

3. Greg Schiano

Yep.

OSU did its own investigation for the NCAA and if they had left it up to them nothing would have been done, like at Oregon and Miami. Yes, the violations were very minor compared to what has happened at other schools. Tress lied to the NCAA and that was why they happened and he has a show cause penalty. He is an outstanding coach. I think he will coach again. I would be surprised if it was in the B10 but you never know.

With a chance to grab the top QB in the draft along with a proven QB developer I can see why the Texans wouldn't mind paying the buyout.

I wouldn't be too excited about B O'B if I was a fan of the Texans or whoever hires him. His strengths as a HC at PSU won't really translate to the NFL game (recruiting, keeping a team motivated i the face of bowl ineligibility, beating bad Big 10 teams, overcoming scholarship reductions). He was coach of the year last year in the B10 but it should have been Urban who was undefeated. PSU went 8-4 but lost to the good teams they played. Same thing this year but managed to beat Wisky which is decent. Lost 63-14 or something to Buckeyes.... I think he has a ways to go as a HC. And we all know how well the former Pats assistants have done as HCs in the NFL. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

Houston Texans plan to hire new coach by Tuesday

The Houston Texans are taking advantage of firing Gary Kubiak before the season's end. Just as other NFL teams begin their coaching search, the Texans plan to be choosing their future leader.

The organization plans to wrap up its coaching search by Tuesday, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Saturday, per sources familiar with the team's thinking.

"The process continues," Texans owner Bob McNair told the Houston Chronicle. "We have other interviews scheduled next week. It isn't over."

As Rapoport reported earlier this week, the Texans interviewed Bill O'Brien on Thursday and the Penn State coach remains one of the team's top choices. O'Brien had his NFL buyout reduced from $13 million to $6.5 million in March. That news was made public in June.

Well...true...although I would argue that mcgloin didn't really play his way out of the job. He played decent enough. Probably Better than Manuel this year.

Regardless, if you asked me 2 years ago, I would have said mcgloin was a 3rd stringer at penn state, with ZERO chance at an nfl practice squad. Instead he broke penn state records after Obrien came on. It's stunning he STARTED an nfl game this year. 5 star qbs are lining up at penn state because of mcgloin and Obrien, who is getting the reputation as a great QB coach.

I think the tea leaves are lined up that he states at penn state this year. But i can see where this Houston job is tempting. But at the end of the day, I think Houston goes with lovie smith.

I have to totally disagree here.

I have to totally disagree here.

Dont want to turn this into mcgloin vs manual...but...

EJ: 180/306 58.8%

MM: 118/211 55.9%

EJ: 11TDs in 10 Games

MM: 8 TDs in 7 Games

EJ: 1,979 yards, 6.44 avg

MM: 1,547 yards, 7.33 avg

EJ: 77.7 rtg; 42.3 QBR

MM: 76.1 rtg; 49.5 QBR

Honestly, 2013 as a guide...the two were pretty damn similar in stats.

On O'Brien...the PSU channels are extremely quiet. Recruits who previously said "obrien told me today he was staying, ignore the noise" are now backing away, and all of them are using the same terminology "i have spoke to obrien and i am comfortable with the situation". almost appears as if it is talking points, and someone told them to back off on their rheteric. Other reports indicate obrien is negotiating with PSU *AND* houston, and that his demands of PSU are minor. The biggest sticking point appears to not be money, but additional football resources, which the university is afraid of providing in fear of stoking the "football culture" issue.

This sounds like a big bold power play by obrien against the PSU administration (which does not have alumni support i might add). I am about 60% sure he stays at PSU. Today should be interesting.

Dont want to turn this into mcgloin vs manual...but...

EJ: 180/306 58.8%

MM: 118/211 55.9%

EJ: 11TDs in 10 Games

MM: 8 TDs in 7 Games

EJ: 1,979 yards, 6.44 avg

MM: 1,547 yards, 7.33 avg

EJ: 77.7 rtg; 42.3 QBR

MM: 76.1 rtg; 49.5 QBR

Honestly, 2013 as a guide...the two were pretty damn similar in stats.

On O'Brien...the PSU channels are extremely quiet. Recruits who previously said "obrien told me today he was staying, ignore the noise" are now backing away, and all of them are using the same terminology "i have spoke to obrien and i am comfortable with the situation". almost appears as if it is talking points, and someone told them to back off on their rheteric. Other reports indicate obrien is negotiating with PSU *AND* houston, and that his demands of PSU are minor. The biggest sticking point appears to not be money, but additional football resources, which the university is afraid of providing in fear of stoking the "football culture" issue.

This sounds like a big bold power play by obrien against the PSU administration (which does not have alumni support i might add). I am about 60% sure he stays at PSU. Today should be interesting.

What "football resources" don't they have at Penn State?

I have a family member who has committed to Penn State to play football next year and he hasn't heard anything from O'Brien about him leaving or not. All he's said about it is that he's not going to worry about something he has no control over. I'm hoping O'Brien stays as he is fantastic for Penn State and he is a great coach, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave either.