The Toronto game may have cost the Bills a shot at the playoffs

dave mcbride

And that is precisely why Ralph and OBD are a penny wise and a pound foolish. They greedily take the easy money that the Toronto deal offers, and in the process they may be giving up on the harder, but equally lucrative (if not more lucrative) cash that they could achieve by actually building a winning program that plays home games in January. You build a winner and the fans come out, and they buy merchandise, and you sell boxes, etc. It happens regionally. Just ask the Patriots.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that this loss is more meaningful, it's that the location itself contributed to the loss. In the other losses, players' mistakes contributed to the loss. In Toronto it was the players and the dome location that gave Atlanta the edge.

So what about home losses to NE, Cincy, and KC? Why does the Toronto game matter more?

Also, it was no surprise to the Bills who they were playing and the conditions that exist in Toronto. If they can't prepare and execute they need to look in the mirror.

Most important game they blew was that Pittsburgh game. Pittsburgh was on the ropes, self destructing, the crowd was turning on them, but Buffalo let them stay in the game by being even worse and ended up getting blasted.

Im not going to blame the Tampa Bay game on Toronto. They just beat the crap out of the Bills. If it was a "preparation issue" for that game, well, heck, there is your win to be in it right there. Thats on the team/coaches.

The Toronto game, by itself, hurts the Bills. It is very obvious that the Bills hold a very strong home field advantage by looking at recent seasons especially. I would say they had an 80-90% chance of beating Atlanta at home, and maybe 65% at a neutral site.

I do think this was the season that the "competitive disadvantage" was exposed to the world though as we see with Brandon actually addressing the "issue" publicly.

So what about home losses to NE, Cincy, and KC? Why does the Toronto game matter more?

Also, it was no surprise to the Bills who they were playing and the conditions that exist in Toronto. If they can't prepare and execute they need to look in the mirror.

No one is saying that it "matters more." It's that the Bills were playing a bad team that is terrible in the outdoors and hadn't played in a cold weather game since 2010 or so. They lost a nail-biter that they probably wouldn't have lost if not for the location. The other losses can be chalked up to bad plays by the players and coaches.

There are several games they should have won this year, but didn't. It's not Toronto's fault Stevie and chandler fumbled the game away.

It's not Toronto's fault they were embarrassed vs Tampa and Pittsburg. It wasn't Toronto's fault they gave Kansas City 14 point with horrible turnovers.

Stop right there. I'm sure Tuel was thinking about Toronto as he was throwing his pick-6 against the Chiefs. So yes, that too should be blamed on Toronto.

Being angry about the Toronto games is kinda like cutting you're nose off to spite you're face. I don't like it either, but it's better than watching the L.A. Bills.

How about we just accept it as a neccsary evil. At least we don't have to go to England every year.

Edited by JaxBills

Most important game they blew was that Pittsburgh game. Pittsburgh was on the ropes, self destructing, the crowd was turning on them, but Buffalo let them stay in the game by being even worse and ended up getting blasted.

Im not going to blame the Tampa Bay game on Toronto. They just beat the crap out of the Bills. If it was a "preparation issue" for that game, well, heck, there is your win to be in it right there. Thats on the team/coaches.

The Toronto game, by itself, hurts the Bills. It is very obvious that the Bills hold a very strong home field advantage by looking at recent seasons especially. I would say they had an 80-90% chance of beating Atlanta at home, and maybe 65% at a neutral site.

I do think this was the season that the "competitive disadvantage" was exposed to the world though as we see with Brandon actually addressing the "issue" publicly.

It's a disadvantage, but I think if the team was a true contender, the place would have a way better atmosphere. If the Bills were perennial contenders (with a superstar on the roster) I think they could be a big draw for that one game in TO. Of course, they have to get good first, and the TO game is a hurdle right now.

I know that won't be a popular opinion, but I think it's true.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

It's a disadvantage, but I think if the team was a true contender, the place would have a way better atmosphere. If the Bills were perennial contenders (with a superstar on the roster) I think they could be a big draw for that one game in TO. Of course, they have to get good first, and the TO game is a hurdle right now.

totally agree

I dont think they ever get that kind of support there. There will always be that large contingent of Toronto "fans" that will root for the other team no matter who it is just to spite Buffalo and/or think they are hip/cool/funny. Even on its best day, it wouldnt compare to RWS as far as crowd noise/support.

I would also say that the Bills do have 2-3 "star" players now. M Williams, Spiller/Jackson. You can also make a case this year for Alonso.

No one is saying that it "matters more." It's that the Bills were playing a bad team that is terrible in the outdoors and hadn't played in a cold weather game since 2010 or so. They lost a nail-biter that they probably wouldn't have lost if not for the location. The other losses can be chalked up to bad plays by the players and coaches.

i could not agree with you more! that money grab has bothered me since its inception.. as for all the sarcasm on here regarding your point, ignore it. lots on here just like to be the "smart glib guy".. it permeates the site unfortunately.. Edited by dwight in philly

I dont think they ever get that kind of support there. There will always be that large contingent of Toronto "fans" that will root for the other team no matter who it is just to spite Buffalo and/or think they are hip/cool/funny. Even on its best day, it wouldnt compare to RWS as far as crowd noise/support.

I would also say that the Bills do have 2-3 "star" players now. M Williams, Spiller/Jackson. You can also make a case this year for Alonso.

It will never compare to RWS (I didn't even imply that it could), but after a couple of playoff seasons, the team could at least pack the stadium. If the Bills were good, it'd be possible to make an event of it, and it wouldn't be such a hurdle.

You aren't a true superstar (to me) until you are winning. Every team has "star" players. I also said they need the combination of superstar AND winning.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

We are a 6-9 team. One game being played in a dome a few hours up the road didnt knock us out of the playoffs.

Really, until somebody looks to see if we would even be alive with that win and ending in a 5 way tie, it seems extraordinarily pointless to point the finger there. Yet alone assuming we win and 4 teams lose next week.

We are 6-9.

Admittedly, I don't know where the Bills fall along the tiebreaker spectrum vis-a-vis the five 8-7 and 7-8 AFC teams, but if they had played the Atlanta game in Orchard Park, the Bills would in all likelihood be 7-8 right now. If that was the case, next Sunday's game against NE could be be truly meaningful. Someone needs to raise that with Brandon. The Toronto series has to end.

not really.

The Cinny loss was more important because it was the AFC. And we had them at the Ralph. Win that game and we still be in it.

But maybe Russ ought to consider giving up a game in Sept. instead of Dec.

Maybe the dome could be open air for that game in T.O. if you had it in Sept. ...just saying. At least it would semi- feel like a home game if it was outdoors.

You singled it out as the game of focus, why? Every loss matters the same when it comes to the playoffs.

I want the Bills to get there as much as anyone. My point is simply the Bills gave away several chances this year for a multitude of reasons. If they want to knock NE off as the division leaders or to win, much less get to, a playoff game they have got to figure out how to cut out the stupid mistakes, penalties and lack of execution. Look at the woods ejection yesterday, a stupid move given how thin the Bills were at receiver. Just one example of many where the Bills fail to account for the situation.

It's two part problem. One they still have a couple of holes on the roster. Two, they lack discipline and maturity. All of these are correctable but it begins by this team developing leadership and accountability. Excuse making doesn't get you there.

I'd go so far as to say that the team did seem deflated after the loss in toronto, it just looked like they could have used a home game, or a good crowd before travelling to Tampa, so maybe that POS, idiotic, steaming pile of crap toronto series game damaged momentum for the next week.

Sorry to say, but that game seems to have a ripple effect on the team every year. It sucks, it's not helping in any way, unless of course you have bought into the lie that WNY can't handle an NFL team as sold to you by the devil himself, but my point is that no team will ever be able to overcome playing less home games than the rest of the league, and that's the bottom line.

It seems like even Russ Brandon is prepared to examine how much truth there is to this proposition.

I'm hoping he sees the wisdom of bringing this team home to its fans, to its advantage, and into a better position to bring playoff games to the Ralph. That will be the most lucrative scenario of all. They need to make the Bills a hot ticket - not just a fun one or a regional one.

Stick with this program, end the Toronto series mistake and go for playoffs at all costs in 2014. The fans and the team's veterans deserve it.

It seems like even Russ Brandon is prepared to examine how much truth there is to this proposition.

I'm hoping he sees the wisdom of bringing this team home to its fans, to its advantage, and into a better position to bring playoff games to the Ralph. That will be the most lucrative scenario of all. They need to make the Bills a hot ticket - not just a fun one or a regional one.

Stick with this program, end the Toronto series mistake and go for playoffs at all costs in 2014. The fans and the team's veterans deserve it.

If he is smart, he will find a way to cancel Toronto game and bring it back next year to Buffalo. This would be the best way he could ever imagine to sell out every home game.