Fred Jackson's last game at the Ralph?

oman128

Fred Jackson isn't getting any younger and this could be the year that the Bills finally cut the cord and release or trade Fred.

Fred is a warrior and has been for the last several years but he is clearly slowing down and its not the same guy he was just two years ago when he was leading the league in rushing. Hopefully the Bills feed him the ball all day long so that if it is his last game at the Ralph he goes out with some great memories, thanks for everything Fred you've been a great Buffalo Bill.

Edited by oman128

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred Jackson isn't getting any younger and this could be the year that the Bills finally cut the cord and release or trade Fred.

Fred is a warrior and has been for the last several years but he is clearly slowing down and its not the same guy he was just two years ago when he was leading the league in rushing. Hopefully the Bills feed him the ball all day long so that if it is his last game at the Ralph he goes out with some great memories, thanks for everything Fred you've been a great Buffalo Bill.

Your off by a long shot. Fred Jackson is the heart of the Bills, their unquestionable leader, and is still productive with a cap friendly contract to boot. He's not going anywhere unless he decides to retire.

BTW, dont the Bills have a top 5 rushing attack?

Edit: I just realized the inevitable myriad of these types of threads to come....fml

Edited by It's in My Blood

yeah I know Fred's contract is cap friendly, I know the bills are a top-five in Rushing yards, and I know he's a Captain and the heart and soul of the team.

He hasn't had a hundred yard game since I can't even remember when. We get excited when he gets 50 or 60 because of his age and because he splitting carries with Spiller. He has 1 year left on his contract, I think the Bills would be wise to release or trade him in the off season.

yeah I know Fred's contract is cap friendly, I know the bills are a top-five in Rushing yards, and I know he's a Captain and the heart and soul of the team.

He hasn't had a hundred yard game since I can't even remember when. We get excited when he gets 50 or 60 because of his age and because he splitting carries with Spiller. He has 1 year left on his contract, I think the Bills would be wise to release or trade him in the off season.

No

If you get rid of Fred at the end of the year you have to replace him. I think he has 2 good years left. Thanks to C.J. taking some carries off his body.

He isn't worth anything trade-wise, at least not enough to trade away such a team leader. He doesn't cost that much, so why release him? It's not so much about the total yardage he picks up, but often when and how he picks up those yards. He is very reliable to get positive yards when we need them and is a fantastic blocker.

it was a sad day when we released Bruce Thurman and Andre all on the same day. Releasing Freddy who is this point in his career is simply an average back. Doesn't seem like such a big deal but I'm sure you guys on here on make it into a big deal, because you think he's way better than he is he's not the Fred Jackson of 2 years ago.

Edited by oman128

Your off by a long shot. Fred Jackson is the heart of the Bills, their unquestionable leader, and is still productive with a cap friendly contract to boot. He's not going anywhere unless he decides to retire.

BTW, dont the Bills have a top 5 rushing attack?

Edit: I just realized the inevitable myriad of these types of threads to come....fml

Wait til the trade Fred for a 3rd rounder posts start to pop up. I gaurantee there will be at least 3 this offseason.

you'd be lucky to get a 6th tound pick in a trade, I just think we need a fresh set of legs heading in the next season. Fred will go down in Buffalo Bills history as the third best back behind Thurman and OJ.

So you want to draft a RB who might suck, to replace a Fred Jackson who is the most reliable and consistent player on our offense.

I don't even know what to tell you.

There is a little more to it. He is a really good blocker, and is pretty good at catching balls out of the back field. We have 2 RB's on this team. SO the position is split. If Freddy was our primary back then i am sure you would see games over 100 yards. Maybe look at his alll purpose yards seeing running backs do more than just run the ball. FredEx isnt going anyplace and rightfully so. He will retire a BIll in 2 to 3 years. If it aint broke u dont fix it. Our running game is really really good, why would u want to change that. Having a Rookie OC and QB i am sure has weight in his rushing yards. This team has had a lot of 3 and outs and most teams stack the box to challenge EJ to throw!

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills draft a running back relatively high, 3rd or 4th round. You have to prepare for Jackson to lose effectiveness, Spiller will be in the last year of his contract and I can't see him getting a big deal unless he has a tremendous season next year. They could quickly be without both of these backs. It's prudent to get a good prospect this coming draft.

I would only want to see Fred Jackson leave if he got to go to a contender, maybe somewhere huge and popular so the world can see what a great guy we have in him.

Also, since I've been reminding everyone...some guy here was really high on Fred Jackson this past offseason, said he'd have a better year then CJ Spiller, if I recall.

Cut Fred Jackson? What are you talking about? He has the most rushing TDs of his career this season, and his YPC is around his career average. Where do you see him slowing down?

The only way you may be right is because the Bills have historically been shown to be incompetent when it comes to player evaluation. If they do cut him, it would be a stupid mistake.

I would only want to see Fred Jackson leave if he got to go to a contender, maybe somewhere huge and popular so the world can see what a great guy we have in him.

Also, since I've been reminding everyone...some guy here was really high on Fred Jackson this past offseason, said he'd have a better year then CJ Spiller, if I recall.

As did I. He is and always has been a better player than CJ. And Lynch, for that matter.

Freddy's game is not speed based. Obviously he had an extra gear back in 2010 and 2011, and has slowed down some, but because his game isn't based solely on speed and quickness (ala CJ Spiller), I still think he ahs a lot to offer. Although a bit more talented I liken Freddy's game to a guy like Kevin Faulk of the Patriots, who retired 2 years ago at the age of 35. Their games are similar in that they are both versatile, leaders, shifty and chain movers, Freddy is also excellent at picking up the blitz. Barring a serious injury (especially to the lower body), and his knees due seem to be weakened, I'd expect another 2 maybe 3 years out of Freddy. If he was a player like CJ, I'd say, yes, possibly he could go because once a speed guys speed is gone he's done (see Lee Evans), but he's clearly not that type of player. His contract is up after the 2014 season, so we'll see what the Bills do at that point. At this point in their careers (not looking at potential and years left) I strongly believe Freddy is a better back than CJ Spiller.

Edited by Estro

As much as I think they should trade Spiller I don't think they should do anything with Jackson. It has nothing to do with their individual abilities but their value. Jackson has no value in a trade. There also is no value in cutting him. The only way he is not a Bill next year is if he does something stupid and holdout for a contract extension.

Spiller on the other hand should be moved. He will not net a first round pick unless some team moved down in the draft and acquired an extra late first founder. He might net a second though.

My offseason :

Get serviceable RB, RT and LG in FA.

Resign Byrd.

Trade 2014 and 2015 #1's for Larry Fitzgerald

Trade Spiller for a second.

Use second round picks on TE and LB.

Buy season tickets!