Kiko - Rookie wall or worse?

I know it is blashpemy to criticize Kiko, but he has not played well for a month. I've posted my concerns about his lack of size before so this is not a reactionary post from the loss yesterday. Love his athleticism but I am worried about his ability to hold up and stop the run long term. With that said, it has been more bad angles and overpursuit have been the cause of some of his bad plays. I'm hoping this is just him hitting the wall and an off-season training program will make a big difference. Oregon graduates late so he had even less time in Buffalo.

Anyone else worried?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Kiko, and am not overly worried about him, but honeslty, he had some pretty rough games early in the season, even though he was racking up huge tackle stats. The defense, as a unit, still has issues... improved, but not there yet... Kiko is just one part of it.

It was Kiko who was late to the hole on the 80 yard TD run by Rainey. Other than that, I don't recall him being badly out of position, although my head was hanging for most of the game due to the pitiful performance by the offense.

I like him a lot but he is an OLB and only playing middle because we have nobody else.

Why do you think he'd be a better OLB? Why are people running with this ridiculous notion? A few weeks ago he was a stud at MLB now after a few down games he needs to get moved?

Going to the Pro Bowl. Candidate for DROY but let's move him?

Edited by Bangarang

Really, minus two runs, the defense played well. What do you expect when they start nearly all the scoring drives on our side of the field.

If we can't field a team that can't get first downs at all on most drives, the defense will get beat. Do you think the offense plays so many snaps because the move the ball? Or because the defense actually gives them more chances to fail.

Marrone's or Pettine's fault in yesterday's game was going into a 46 defense. We dont have the personnel for that. Kiko made one mistake and yes, it cost us. But did you see the way he tackled on other plays? The way he stuck with his assignment and sniffed the screen? Kiko is not on my list of Bills problems. Honestly, we wouldn't have 4 wins at that if Kiko wasn't on the squad.

Manny Lawson is another great pickup for us but I'm not fooled by Hughes's sack stat. The guy isn't focused on the line of scrimmage at all. Have you even heard Bradham's name being called out there? I think Kiko is just fine. There are other issues on D.

I think OLB comes up because he is not big enough to play MLB. As others have posted OLB in a 3-4 and a 4-3 are different animals. He has speed and coverage abiltiy. He is a very good third down MLB. He is more of a Sam Cowart than a Patrick Willis. Maybe that is ok.

He's the same size is Keuchly and a few pounds lighter than Willis. Give him a year of NFL strength and conditioning and he can bulk up to fill out his frame. Saying he isn't big enough to play MLB is false.

Really, minus two runs, the defense played well. What do you expect when they start nearly all the scoring drives on our side of the field.

If we can't field a team that can't get first downs at all on most drives, the defense will get beat. Do you think the offense plays so many snaps because the move the ball? Or because the defense actually gives them more chances to fail.

You could say the same thing about the Falcons game the week before...Falcons had two eerily similar long runs against Kiko and company which nailed down the game for them. Not blaming Kiko, completely, but on all three long runs in the two games combined, Kiko was out of position to make a play on the runner...and safety help was nowhere to be found.

He is still the best screen destroyer I have ever seen, literally being in the backfield with the RB before the OLine can block him almost every time...

Yeah, he missed badly on 2 run fills the last two werks one resulting in a 50 yard TD and the other an 80 yard TD, but he has been mostly solid if not spectacular most of the year

He's the same size is Keuchly and a few pounds lighter than Willis. Give him a year of NFL strength and conditioning and he can bulk up to fill out his frame. Saying he isn't big enough to play MLB is false.

In what world is 6' 3" 243 lbs not big enough to play MLB?

Perhaps I am looking at it the wrong way. It seems most teams are playing some form of hybrid defense and certainly are in the nickel a great deal of the time. Maybe being fast and a bit under-sized is what the Bills/Petine want. Maybe the MLB I am thinking about no longer exists or only plays obvious run downs.

Perhaps I am looking at it the wrong way. It seems most teams are playing some form of hybrid defense and certainly are in the nickel a great deal of the time. Maybe being fast and a bit under-sized is what the Bills/Petine want. Maybe the MLB I am thinking about no longer exists or only plays obvious run downs.

You know that Urlacher was a converted safety right?