Official Pre-Game Thread: Week 14, Bills at Buccaneers

Dan

Week 14: Buffalo Bills at Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 1:00pm

TV Network: CBS (TV Map)

Announcers: Spero Dedes and Steve Beuerlein

DirecTV: 711

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Joe Buscaglia (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - Sportsnet 590 The Fan

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WTKW (99.5/WTKV 105.5)

Sirius: 128

=================================================================

Game Preview:

Key turnovers last week saw the Buffalo Bills' slim playoff hopes all but evaporate. Untimely giveaways also cost the Tampa Bay Buccaneers a shot at a four-game winning streak. Both will look to take better care of the ball in Sunday's meeting in Tampa Bay.

The Bills (4-8), who are 1-4 on the road, coughed up the ball on their final two possessions of Sunday's 34-31 overtime loss to Atlanta in Toronto, all but guaranteeing their NFL-worst 14th straight season without a postseason appearance.

Buffalo is tied with Tampa Bay -- and Houston -- for the league's most losses via blown leads with seven.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scouting Report: Week 14 (from Buffalo Bills.com Chris Brown)

NFL.com Video Preview

Buccaneers Insider - A look at this week's matchup.

NFL.com Game Center

Team Stats:    Bills            Bucs

Total Yds/Game.... 337.2         295.2

Total Rush............. 139.2         106.2

Total Pass............. 198.1         189.1

Points/Game..........  22.2           18.1

Time of Poss..........  27.9           30.8

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 354.1         352.8

Rush Yards........... 121.5         106.8

Pass Yards........... 232.6         246.0

Points Allowed........ 25.6           23.8

Source: NFL.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS

Chandler, Scott        TE     Not injury related     -        DNP      -                   -

Goodwin, Marquise  WR           Calf                  -         LP       FP           Probable

Williams, Kyle           DL            Achilles         DNP      FP       FP           Probable

Source: BuffaloBills.com

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS

Gibson, Gary             DT           Calf                  -         LP       LP          Questionable

Jackson, Vincent       WR          Hamstring      DNP     LP      LP           Questionable

Joseph, Davin            G             Knee              DNP    FP      FP           Probable

Nicks, Carl                 G             Foot               DNP    DNP   DNP         Out

Owusu, Chris             WR          Hamstring       -           -        LP           Questionable

Revis, Darrelle           CB          Chest/Shoulder FP     FP      FP           Probable

Spence, Akeem         DT           Wrist                 FP     FP      FP           Probable

Source: Buccaneers.com

Practice Status                                                                                         Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice                                                      Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps                    Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions                Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play                                                                          Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available                                          (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Buccaneers -2.5

Over/Under: 42.5

Source: The Linemakers

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas.

My Take on the Matchup:

Well it took a little longer than some expected, perhaps.  But, the Bills are all but eliminated from playoff contention... again.  They're also doing their best to ensure a 9th consecutive losing record.  And so here we go into the game against the vaunted Bucs. 

By all accounts, the Bills should be the better team.  The Bills should get the win.  The Bills should be able to gain some positive momentum to end the season.  However, this is the Buffalo Bills; they rarely do what they should.  Hence, I'll be surprised if we win.

Yet, as its coded into my DNA, I'll be watching the game. Here's my list of things to watch for:

1. EJ.  Yes, this season really does come down to the development of EJ.  He still has quite a bit of learning to do.  Let's hope he continues to do well and progress as a QB this week.

2. Marrone.  Will he ever learn how to manage the clock at the end of the half?  I've all but lost hope on this one.  Although the offense, looks good at times; it grinds to a halt far too often.  Will Hackett still have lapses in his situational game awareness?  I'm guessing he will.  

3. Can the defensive backfield prevent a rookie QB from looking like a future HOFer?  If we can get some decent coverage on 3rd and long, just maybe we could get a road win.

4. Detroit at Philly. That has the makings of a decent game; as does Indy at Cincy.  Chances are quite good that from time to time, I'll be flipping over to one of those games before half time to keep me awake.

5. The crowd.  It'll be nice to see the Bills play in front of a live crowd again.  I'm fairly certain last week's Toronto game was played in front of a few thousand cardboard cut outs. 

Go Bills!!

I know a lot of people are rooting for us to lose so we can get better draft picks but not me. I would love nothing more than for us to win out starting with a 34-10 beat down today. I don't think playoffs are realistic but I'm not giving up hope until we are mathematically out. Why? I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. Also, the weeks following losses are the worst, and rooting for us to lose doesn't make me any less dejected when we do.

GO BILLS!!!

2 things that stood out to me.

1-4 on the road. Ej has struggled in the road this year. I'm interested to see if that is any different returning to Florida. His development is what these last 4 games are all about!

7 blown leads?!? I knew it was a few but that number is crazy. Yet Hackett can't catch a break and pettine is great in many peoples view.

It's Sunday and I only have 4 of these left. Can't wait!!!

Pull for the win. Crazy things have happened before. Sometimes you wake up and its like wow.....How'd that happen. They're in! For example? Auburn sucked last year, fired their head coach that won a National Championship (w/Cam Newton), had an amazing season this year (beat Alabama) and a certain team didn't take care of business (Ohio State). Now, Auburn is most likely in the National Championship game. Their fan base is enjoying the out of nowhere, elite level success.

2 things that stood out to me.

1-4 on the road. Ej has struggled in the road this year. I'm interested to see if that is any different returning to Florida. His development is what these last 4 games are all about!

7 blown leads?!? I knew it was a few but that number is crazy. Yet Hackett can't catch a break and pettine is great in many peoples view.

It's Sunday and I only have 4 of these left. Can't wait!!!

Well, many will argue that the blown leads are a direct result of Hackett's/the offense's shortcomings putting more pressure on the defense. Quick 3 and outs and turnovers via bad play calls are definitely a part of why we haven't been able to close out games. Edited by ko12010

It's going to be pretty cool to see the two best rookie QBs (IMO) going head to head today in Manuel and Glennon. Alot of folks around here thought Buffalo should have drafted the kid from NC State. I'm looking forward to this aspect of today's game, records be damned. This is about the future for both teams.

Pull for the win. Crazy things have happened before. Sometimes you wake up and its like wow.....How'd that happen. They're in! For example? Auburn sucked last year, fired their head coach that won a National Championship (w/Cam Newton), had an amazing season this year (beat Alabama) and a certain team didn't take care of business (Ohio State). Now, Auburn is most likely in the National Championship game. Their fan base is enjoying the out of nowhere, elite level success.

That's right, stranger things have happened. It's a funny-shaped ball & it can bounce in strange ways. Go Bills!!!!

Well, many will argue that the blown leads are a direct result of Hackett's/the offense's shortcomings putting more pressure on the defense. Quick 3 and outs and turnovers via bad play calls are definitely a part of why we haven't been able to close out games.

My take on the Hackett/Marrone/EJ thing is that they've generally done a pretty good job of developing him.

I think it's a very fine line and hard to do perfectly.

That said, the offensive production for a rookie QB has been pretty good but I agree with you that the Bills have tended to be a bit overly conservative on offense.

The first drive after the 2nd half kickoff last week was an example of this. The offense had been playing very well and they came out run, run, pass, punt. I really didn't like the playcalling on that opening drive.

@ChrisBrownBills

Matchup I like a lot today; Kyle Williams vs Bucs backup LG & former #Bills signee Jamon Meredith. Carl Nicks is out. #BUFvsTB

@buffalobills

#Bills INACTIVES: 7 QB Tuel, 38 FB Summers, 44 DB Smith, 62 OL Asper, 73 OL McClain, 82 TE Moeaki, 93 LB Westerman

Interesting CB.

Summers being inactive means what? More passing and less running? Summers is a big cog in the special teams too so it's pretty interesting.

Also, Moeaki being inactive lends further creedence to the idea that his addition is more of a long term project than a short term fix.

we really only have two concerns right now - our inconsistent downfield passing game and our D's pass coverage.

both are related to inexperienced players at key positions, but i'm more concerned over Gilmore than Manuel.. are all his problems injury related? he has to be able to play on an island for Pettine to open things up.. just as our attack has to make Tampa's DC pay for sacrificing coverage for pressure

My take on the Hackett/Marrone/EJ thing is that they've generally done a pretty good job of developing him.

I think it's a very fine line and hard to do perfectly.

That said, the offensive production for a rookie QB has been pretty good but I agree with you that the Bills have tended to be a bit overly conservative on offense.

The first drive after the 2nd half kickoff last week was an example of this. The offense had been playing very well and they came out run, run, pass, punt. I really didn't like the playcalling on that opening drive.

Interesting CB.

Summers being inactive means what? More passing and less running? Summers is a big cog in the special teams too so it's pretty interesting.

Also, Moeaki being inactive lends further creedence to the idea that his addition is more of a long term project than a short term fix.

Looks like they want to see what they have in Evan Rodriguez, as he's active. I'm sure he will see some snaps today.

Not sure who Rodriquez is but that's interesting.

I'm also thinking that Wingo will probably take over some of The Tank's duties on special teams.

He's the FB/TE they picked up mid-season. Drafted in 2012 by the Bears. He's got lots of speed ran a 4.58 forty at the combine. He's an interesting prospect but has some off the field issues.