I want answers on phantom call on Williams

tedstrong

I'm going to be a homer on this and say that Robey only grabbed the jersey after the WR pushed him.

Exactly...On his way down to the turf, after being pushed, he clearly grabbed the WR...But only after...Plus...Like the announcers questioned, it's hard to imagine the Ref who threw the flag could have seen Robey's grab the way he was positioned...Maybe he did though...Still...I think that call goes back to the point made earlier on this week about the steady rise in Defensive PI percentage, in comparison to Offensive PI which has remained about the same...It's getting a bit ridiculous...

I do find it funny though that an Atlanta DB got away with an obvious tug on Goodwin's shoulder earlier on when Goodwin clearly had a step and was targeted on a deep ball...The DB reaches out with both hands, pulls down on Goodwin's shoulder when he turned back to look for the ball, and that move clearly broke Goodwin's stride...That could have been 6 easy...There is no consistency...And that is the biggest problem IMHO... B-)

We've bitched about the refs for what…about 10 years? You get the calls when you are better.

True...But in this case we're playing a 2-9 team...So... B-)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be a homer on this and say that Robey only grabbed the jersey after the WR pushed him.

Both players were being physical with one another and it is odd that this gets called at a time it does when much worse infractions do not at other times.

I don't disagree, that's why I called it ticky tack. They were battling each other, but, when the ref sees the jersey suddenly pull away from the receiver's chest I'm not at all surprised at the flag.

I don't disagree, that's why I called it ticky tack. They were battling each other, but, when the ref sees the jersey suddenly pull away from the receiver's chest I'm not at all surprised at the flag.

There are definitely some things the refs key on that may draw a flag over what feels like a more blatant violation. Jerseys pulling, arm bars, etc.... over sometimes far more extreme jostling. I haven't watched a replay in this case though.

this----^

Or the fact that when your better, a few small calls in the opponents favor don't equal losses.

I guess that's what I was trying to say….

I can't remember 1 bad call between the years 1988 and 1994.

I guess that's what I was trying to say….

I can't remember 1 bad call between the years 1988 and 1994.

Facemask on Bruce against the Bengals (Easiason) in the 1988 AFC Championship game when he actually just had the front of the jersey.

When your winning, you don't remember the bad calls.

True...But in this case we're playing a 2-9 team...So... B-)

Looking for motive? Well I've got one for you. Both teams were either dead or close to it when it comes to the playoffs. The game was on a neutral site. 80% of the public bet on the Bills. Vegas set the line real low at first (-3) in order to reel in as many fish as possible. The spread moved to -4.5 by game time. The fix was in. And if you don't believe Vegas in concert with the NFL can fix games then I don't know what to tell you.

Looking for motive? Well I've got one for you. Both teams were either dead or close to it when it comes to the playoffs. The game was on a neutral site. 80% of the public bet on the Bills. Vegas set the line real low at first (-3) in order to reel in as many fish as possible. The spread moved to -4.5 by game time. The fix was in. And if you don't believe Vegas in concert with the NFL can fix games then I don't know what to tell you.

So I'll ask the same question I always do with these accusations- if you believe that, why watch?

The refs in the league can turn a game....I am a grey haired fan, and have watched for decades (original season ticket, still) I actually gave up watching the NFL for a year in the 80's because the officiating was so bad...but instant replay has helped some of that...and I was back pretty quickly. But, the officiating is again getting bad....there are calls in other games that are clearly as bad (or no calls, like the Tomlin deal last weekend) It seems to me that the officiating needs a quality control effort again to insure the credibility of the game. I watch Williams on that play...he (maybe unfortunately) did not touch anybody (even close) on that play. Thats OK, he has to play his position....and it was a phantom call. Was it somebod else with a similar or close number...? Maybe the Bills should not group the position numbers together....give some teens, one in the twenties, one in the thirties etc etc.Harder for the officials to mix up numbers then.

The refs in the league can turn a game....I am a grey haired fan, and have watched for decades (original season ticket, still) I actually gave up watching the NFL for a year in the 80's because the officiating was so bad...but instant replay has helped some of that...and I was back pretty quickly. But, the officiating is again getting bad....there are calls in other games that are clearly as bad (or no calls, like the Tomlin deal last weekend) It seems to me that the officiating needs a quality control effort again to insure the credibility of the game. I watch Williams on that play...he (maybe unfortunately) did not touch anybody (even close) on that play. Thats OK, he has to play his position....and it was a phantom call. Was it somebod else with a similar or close number...? Maybe the Bills should not group the position numbers together....give some teens, one in the twenties, one in the thirties etc etc.Harder for the officials to mix up numbers then.

The only solution?

Become good enough that a call here or a call there won't matter. Obviously in big games like Conference championship games and the Super Bowl the teams are usually evenly matched so this might still come into play, but there was no valid reason for us to lose to a struggling Falcon team after building a quick 14-0 lead

I know this might slow down the game a bit... But why not allow coaches to challenge everything including penalties. Keep the same number of challenges (2) and keep the same rules regarding challenges. Refs often huddle and talk about a call, why not challenge them and make them look at it again, not just talk about it. I don't think you would get coaches throwing the challenge flag a whole lot more considering you wouldn't increase the amount of challenges. They'll still need to be smart about which ones they challenge.

In a situation like the one that happened with the Bills or perhaps the one the happened on Monday night a couple weeks ago, those were calls or no calls that could decide the game. Why not make sure you get it right?

So I'll ask the same question I always do with these accusations- if you believe that, why watch?

Just hoping our turn to benefit from the shadiness will come one day.

We had plenty of opportunity to win the game even with the bad calls. We only have ourselves to blame. This ref B word fest every year is stale.

True. I agree, the refs didn't cost us the game, but you gotta admit the NFL has it out for us. Far too many examples points towards that.

Williams literally wasn't within 5 yards of any Falcon player on that penalty call, WTF was the official looking at??

I looked over the play on All 22. There shouldn't have been a call on anyone on that play.

Williams literally wasn't within 5 yards of any Falcon player on that penalty call, WTF was the official looking at??

Yeah it's a truly bizarre call. And some posters here have reviewed the all 22 and there were no penalties on any Bills on that play, so it wasn't a wrong number.

You do realize, at some point, if you axe them for every bad call your going to start running out of the ones that are actually decent quickly. That's not to say there's no room for improvement but I also think, generally speaking, the best candidates are ending up in the nfl already.

Plus, if we win, no one cares about that call like they do now.

Monitoring and holding the worst Officials accountable by way of actual mistakes doesn't mean your axing them for every bad call.