List of Washington General moments by the Buffalo Bills

1B4IDie

Who was the Bills linebacker that was juked out of his shoes by an embarrassingly slow QB a few years ago?

Eddie Robinson...vs. Chad Pennington.

Also, Drew Bledsoe naked bootleg vs. the Pats in Buffalo. Sack, fumble, touchdown, game over.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McLovin ran it out to get the game to the two-minute warning so the Bills could run out the clock. It was the right move sans the fumble.

PTR

He ran it back because he had a few good returns and wanted to show off on national television. When the non selfish thing to do was take a knee and let the offense pick up one first down.

Oh god. Seriously...Its bad when I stop and think of all the heartbreaking games over the years. Let me add a couple.

2004 - vs Jacksonville - Jacksnoville Touchdown as time expires...Lose 13-10

2005 - vs Pittsburgh - Week 17...all we need is a win vs. their 3rd stringers to make the playoffs...and we lose.

2007 - MNF vs Dallas - Tony Romo throws 5 INTs, and the bills lose after Dallas scores 9 points in 20 seconds

Ugh. Why do I like this team...

Those are All heArt breakers. But I'm going for those moments where someone passes to the wrong team obviously, like the Washington Generals. Those games were just all general bad play.

Also, Drew Bledsoe naked bootleg vs. the Pats in Buffalo. Sack, fumble, touchdown, game over.

That's the spirit.

Now how is a LB supposed to fall over himself from the worst okie-doke in history by one of the slowest NFL players in the history of the NFL.

It can't be real.

this list is sad and funny at the same time... i mean there are other pi$$ poor franchises (lions, browns, jags to name a few) and they have their struggles, but do they have lists like this? do other bad franchises have heartbreak endings like this, or are they just bad from start of game right through to the end? I often wonder that. Does it seem worse than it is to us because we're Bills fans? I ask my friends (fans of other teams) if they happened to see how the 'Bills blew it this time' and they never seem all that impressed. So I think maybe this happens to all teams but we're just noticing our team's misfortune, then I think, 'no way, its just us'.

NO way. He should have taken a knee, and not returned that kick.

And give the Pats an extra time out and time to score if we went 3-and-out? Yeah, I'm sure we all would agree that would have been a brilliant strategy.

He ran it back because he had a few good returns and wanted to show off on national television. When the non selfish thing to do was take a knee and let the offense pick up one first down.

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realize you can read minds through the TV.

Forgot about that game, but I think that was against the Jets.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Even our most recent trips to the playoffs have been Washington General moments...

1999 Season: Wild Card loss @ Tenn (we lost on a trick play fer God's sake!)

1998 Season: Wild Card loss @ Miami (opening play fumble by Moulds/Reed ejected/Flutie sacked to end the game)

1996 Season: First ever playoff loss at Rich Stadium PLUS our Hall of Fame QB is carted off the field in what would be his final game

1995 Season: Bruce Smith misses the divisional round at Pittsburgh b/c he got the flu (did he not get his flu shot? you tell me...)

No need to rehash the Super Bowls, right?

PTR

Not sure which you're referring to, but obviously the Pennington juke was against the Jets.

The Bledsoe naked bootleg call was at home in mid season against the Pats*, in what I recall was one of the high profile "rematches" of Bledsoe against his former team. The Bills kept it close but, as I recall, needed a score in the 4th quarter to stay in it, and faced a tough 3rd or 4th down conversion. Some jackass called a naked bootleg for Bledsoe, of all people, and it was easily snuffed out. He was crushed, ball came out, and returned for a TD to seal it. !@#$ing bastards.

EDIT: ah yes, here is a great summary of the game from 2004 by David Staba from the NF Reporter. I used to love reading his pieces. Here is the URL:

http://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/billstuff20046.html

Edited by Rubes

Not sure which you're referring to, but obviously the Pennington juke was against the Jets.

The Bledsoe naked bootleg call was at home in mid season against the Pats*, in what I recall was one of the high profile "rematches" of Bledsoe against his former team. The Bills kept it close but, as I recall, needed a score in the 4th quarter to stay in it, and faced a tough 3rd or 4th down conversion. Some jackass called a naked bootleg for Bledsoe, of all people, and it was easily snuffed out. He was crushed, ball came out, and returned for a TD to seal it. !@#$ing bastards.

EDIT: ah yes, here is a great summary of the game from 2004 by David Staba from the NF Reporter. I used to love reading his pieces. Here is the URL:

http://www.niagarafa...stuff20046.html

I found the game: Dec 14, 2008. 2:06 left, Bills up by 4, JP Losman gets sacked, fumbles and Shawn Ellis runs 11 yards for the TD. Bills lose 31-27.

Go to the 3:30 mark of this video to see that play:

http://www.newyorkje...56-acc8e62813e9

Then there's the 2002 home opener against the Jets that went to OT and the Bills gave up a TD on the kickoff to lose 37-31.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2007 Broncos down by 2 with about 3 and half minutes to go. Bills get the ball back and go 3 and out. Denver gets the ball back, at one point the Broncos had a 3rd and 23. Which of courses they convert. Broncos...no timeouts, Javon Walker is tackled in bounds as the final 14 seconds tick away. Of course Denver ran the FG team out, got the kick off with 1 second to go, Elam kicks drills a 42 FG for the win.

Peters got beat bad on the blitz on JP's Jets fumble.

Edited by billsfan714

http://www.niagarafa...stuff20046.html

Staba was the best. Is he still writing for the NF Reporter? I haven't read an article by him in several years now.

And give the Pats an extra time out and time to score if we went 3-and-out? Yeah, I'm sure we all would agree that would have been a brilliant strategy.

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realize you can read minds through the TV.

PTR

The game is not over if McKelvin runs it back for a TD.

The game is over if McKelvin sits on the ball and the Bills offense gets 1 first down.

You play to win the game. Running it out does not help you win the game.

The game is not over if McKelvin runs it back for a TD.

The game is over if McKelvin sits on the ball and the Bills offense gets 1 first down.

You play to win the game. Running it out does not help you win the game.

Thanks for the slogan. What if you don't get a first down? Ever hear of clock management ?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Thats not what the history books say.

S.Gostkowski kicks 72 yards from NE 30 to BUF -2. L.McKelvin to BUF 31 for 33 yards (P.Woods). FUMBLES (P.Woods), RECOVERED by NE-S.Gostkowski at BUF 31. S.Gostkowski to BUF 31 for no gain (J.Wendling).

I watched the highlight before posting that. He caught it back peddling at the goal line and stopped at the -2. I would have taken it out too just to be safe

#5 - George Wilson drop. The Football Gods have evened this one out. On Sunday George Wilson, now playing for the Titans, dropped an easy interception which hit him in the numbers. The Colts held on to win the game.

But another, cannot recall the exact date but it was at the beginning of the Brady era in NE. The game tied in overtime the NE receiver catches the ball on the right sideline. A big hit by the Bills secondary jars the ball loose, The hit also knocks out the receiver. The ball laying on the ground is recovered by the Bills. But replay show the NE receiver's helment hit out of bounds and then his heel touched the ball meaning the play was dead at that point and NE maintained possession. A few plays later they kick the OT FG. Only play in league history were an unconscious receiver recovered a fumble as his lifeless body hit the ground.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

1997: Denver at Buffalo. Losing 20-3 going into the 4th quarter, we suddenly turn it on. Behind Alex Van Pelt, no less.

A 27-yard pass from AVP to Andre: 20-10.

A 30-yard Christie FG: 20-13.

A 31-yard pass from AVP to Quinn Early: 20-17.

And finally a 55-yard FG by Christie with seconds left to tie it, 20-20, and send it to OT.

We get the ball in OT with ALL of the momentum. You know this is going to be an epic win.

Antowain Smith and Thurman Thomas absolutely gash the Broncos D right down the field. And then, with the Broncos on their heels and the Bills already knocking on the door of FG range... here it comes....

AVP drops back seven steps...and it's a freaking END-AROUND. A gimmick play when we had had nothing but success ramming it down their throats. Andre gets the ball and there, right in his face, completely unblocked, is Denver DE Alfred Williams. Boom. Loss. Two pass attempts and we punt.

Given new life, Elway marches Denver right down the field for a chip shot FG and the game is over.

Little did we know back then that that was NOTHING compared to what was to come.