You're the GM - 2014

dubs

Probably too early, but yesterday was disgusting and it might help to move forward.

I was checking our 2014 free agents, the list is actually pretty decent. http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/buffalo-bills/

Jairus Byrd 27 $6,916,000

Dan Batten 25

Alan Branch 28 $3,000,000

Dan Carpenter 28 $555,000

Alex Carrington 26 $846,000

Mike Caussin 26 $358,000

Scott Chandler 28 $2,975,000

Tashard Choice 29 $620,000

Chris Hogan 25 $405,000

Jim Leonhard 31 $555,000

Thaddeus Lewis 26 $391,764

Antoine McClain 23 $285,882

Arthur Moats 25 $1,351,000

Brian Moorman 37 $391,765

Frank Summers 28 $480,000

Thomas Welch 26 $630,000

Jamaal Westerman 28 $555,000

Who would you want to resign?

Obviously I would love to resign Jairus, but that may not be as easy said as done. Branch would be a good resigning, so would Carp and Carrington. I think Chandler is gone. Choice would be a good resign for something similar to what he's on for now. Summers would be nice to have also. But no one on there is irreplaceable.

First thing first is getting Mario and Stevie to restructure. The dead money from cutting Fitz (7 mil), Anderson (3) and Lindell (1.375) is a killer for next year's available space.

And for everyone in the "Cut Stevie" boat I would love to inform you that cutting him would save the team a whopping amount of.........$25,000 off the 2014 cap. So there's that. Mario as a cut would save the team 600,000 and his cap # next season is 18.4 million. Yikes.

The biggest savings would actually come from Kolb retiring (3.1) or cutting Kyle Williams (3.9), Pears (2.9), or Freddy (2.7). Only one of those (maybe two) are in any way logical.

Edited by JM57

First thing first is getting Mario and Stevie to restructure. The dead money from cutting Fitz (7 mil), Anderson (3) and Lindell (1.375) is a killer for next year's available space.

And for everyone in the "Cut Stevie" boat I would love to inform you that cutting him would save the team a whopping amount of.........$25,000 off the 2014 cap. So there's that. Mario as a cut would save the team 600,000 and his cap # next season is 18.4 million. Yikes.

The biggest savings would actually come from Kolb retiring (3.1) or cutting Kyle Williams (3.9), Pears (2.9), or Freddy (2.7). Only one of those (maybe two) are in any way logical.

nice post!

Luckily it looks like the core of this team (which is primarily young), will still be intact. Kolb really needs to retire for his sake and ours.

Also, Eric Decker is a Free Agent next year. Probably going to be tough to get, but he's the type of receiver we need. Big, physical, makes tough catches.

Those salaries are low so most of those guys can stay. Branch, Chandler, and Moats can all go. Those positions will be easily replaced in the draft for less money. Byrd is gone, you guys are nuts if you think he is staying. Someone will pay him stupid money like how we paid Mario stupid money

Those salaries are low so most of those guys can stay. Branch, Chandler, and Moats can all go. Those positions will be easily replaced in the draft for less money. Byrd is gone, you guys are nuts if you think he is staying. Someone will pay him stupid money like how we paid Mario stupid money

I hope Branch stays. Would you like to see him go or do you think he's going to get let go?

I agree and think Byrd is likely gone, unfortunately. I'd like him to stay but not sure he's worth top-3 safety money.

Keep:

Chris Hogan 25 $405,000

Jim Leonhard 31 $555,000

Byrd goes to another team.

Carrington only comes back if he can prove healthy/productive.

Branch, I'd like to keep, but not sure if the price is right for a backup DT/DE. He's played decently though.

Choice, Hogan, Leonhard, Thad, Moats all good depth.

Summers seems to be fine at FB.

Moorman, he stays unless we find a better punter.

--

Reality is, though, it doesn't matter who we keep, who we drop, who we sign, who we draft... we're going to continue to fall short unless we get the mental game right.

Edited by Dorkington

double YIKES!

Keep Stevie, keep Branch.

Chandler basically lost that Atlanta game with his fumble, and is wasn't coming off an injury. He needs to be replaced in the draft.

Probably too early, but yesterday was disgusting and it might help to move forward.

I was checking our 2014 free agents, the list is actually pretty decent. http://www.spotrac.c.../buffalo-bills/

Jairus Byrd 27 $6,916,000

Dan Batten 25

Mike Caussin 26 $358,000

Scott Chandler 28 $2,975,000

Chris Hogan 25 $405,000

Jim Leonhard 31 $555,000

Antoine McClain 23 $285,882

Thomas Welch 26 $630,000

Jamaal Westerman 28 $555,000

Who would you want to resign?

Obviously I would love to resign Jairus, but that may not be as easy said as done. Branch would be a good resigning, so would Carp and Carrington. I think Chandler is gone. Choice would be a good resign for something similar to what he's on for now. Summers would be nice to have also. But no one on there is irreplaceable.

resigning byrd would be a statement of commitment to win. i'd pull out all the stops to get it done. bills fo likely won't even try. chandler should go. no way he's worth that money. moats is likely gone. branch should get paid. lewis should stay as should carpenter, moorman, choice and summers. guess i never realized the league minimum was so low. couldn't see literally risking my neck for that. finally, leonard probably gets resigned since byrd won't be.

resigning byrd would be a statement of commitment to win. i'd pull out all the stops to get it done. bills fo likely won't even try. chandler should go. no way he's worth that money. moats is likely gone. branch should get paid. lewis should stay as should carpenter, moorman, choice and summers. guess i never realized the league minimum was so low. couldn't see literally risking my neck for that. finally, leonard probably gets resigned since byrd won't be.

Did you see that loss yesterday? I wouldn't re-sign if I were him. You get a limited window in the NFL to play at a high level and win trophies. He's not getting any hardware in Buffalo. I actually feel sorry for good players who are forced to spend their careers here now.

Did you see that loss yesterday? I wouldn't re-sign if I were him. You get a limited window in the NFL to play at a high level and win trophies. He's not getting any hardware in Buffalo. I actually feel sorry for good players who are forced to spend their careers here now.

i agree. that's why i'd try to staunch the bleedinig right now, before woods' and alonzo's and manuels' (if he's proven to be worth something by then) contracts come up. but, yes, if i were the gm, i'd be watching for openings with better organizations, as well.

The 1st thing I do is give $10,000 to RW personal nurse to smoother him with a pillow to end his and our misery.

The I use the transistion tag on Byrd. Let him and his agent get the best deal they can, I'll match if it's not redonkulous.

Chandler can go as we'll be drafting a stud TE

I like Branch and Carrington for depth.

Keep hogan for camp competitiion.

I like Sanders as well..

I would like to keep carpenter as well. But we maybe outbid for him. He has an amazing year.

Lewis can stay as well as we found out his year you can never have enough QB's. Also Marone will be told to keep 3 on the roster and 1 on the PS (it will be this way as along as I am GM). PLus we will draft 1 every other year

that's a solid start to the offseason.

Priorities are to resign Byrd and Branch. Let Chandler walk. I would keep Carpenter and let Hopkins walk. Open competition for punter. I would like to keep Carringrom and Leonhard. Thad Lewis is fine for a back-up. The rest can go.

If I'm Byrd I don't resign unless they offer top safety money. If they don't want to pay that money then franchise him and trade him. Byrd has the leverage now. He can sit out until week 10 next year and show up for the final six games, claim he is injured and walk away from this nightmare franchise. Baltimore, NY Giants, Washington, Philadelphia would all make him highest paid safety in the league.

You generally only see a few "Stud" Free Agents each offseason and a bunch of middling, depth guys. There's a lot to happen between now and the free agent signing period, but here's a few of the WRs and TEs that, as of now, would be available via free agency.

Tight Ends:

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/tight-end/

Pitta, Fred Davis and Pettigrew are interesting. No way Jimmy Graham becomes an UFA and Gonzales will get re-signed or retire. He's not going anywhere.

Wide Receivers:

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/wide-receiver/

Decker, Boldin, and Nicks would fit the Bill for a big, physical, receiver. I'd be surprised if Decker makes it to FA. Boldin is getting up there in age. Nicks is super intriguing. I can't believe he's only 25. He's had a TON of injuries, but when healthy, guy is a monster.

Keep: Carpenter, Moats, Carrington, Branch, Leonhard, McClain, Thad, Summers

Tag Byrd and trade him for a 2nd (hopefully)

Sign: Olsen or Pitta, Wade Smith or Rhinehart, Toby Gehart, Kris Durham

Draft: Mack, Justin Gilbert, Cyril Richardson with your 3 picks in the top 2 rounds (includes Byrd trade)...draft another TE in the 3rd, Saftey in 4th, and best player available from there on out

Edited by Kirby Jackson

nice post!

Luckily it looks like the core of this team (which is primarily young), will still be intact. Kolb really needs to retire for his sake and ours.

Also, Eric Decker is a Free Agent next year. Probably going to be tough to get, but he's the type of receiver we need. Big, physical, makes tough catches.

CALL Russ Brandon and tell him to start spending the $20M in unspent cap money this year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- he's killing any chance this team has of building a sustainable winner ---

I hope Branch stays. Would you like to see him go or do you think he's going to get let go?

I agree and think Byrd is likely gone, unfortunately. I'd like him to stay but not sure he's worth top-3 safety money.

I think Branch is good but is he $3 mil per season good? I would keep him if he would take less money. I like when they line up Hughes opposite Mario. I realize that's not an every down scenario but if they drafted a run stopping DE or picked one up in free agency then I could see how Branch becomes expendable (especially with that salary)