Gilmore has been picked on by oppossing teams his entire career

Quite a bit when you cannot use one of your hands to jam at the LOS, subtly re-route receivers, tackle, and keep good balance (when the club was present) while in coverage.

Or miss an extended period of practice as a young player. Sometimes it takes a bit to get back to 100% physically and mentally when your already young routines are broken up. Plus the opportunities to pick up bad habits overcompensating etc.... Gilmore is a good player. I wasn't huge on the pick as early as we got him- but that doesn't mean I think he's a bust by any means either. Really he's played quite well quite often despite 2 totally different schemes, and a long stretch of missed playing time in the 18 months he's been a pro.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am confused by gilmore's play. I really don't know what to make of him.

I think there are times when he just lets up in coverage very slightly. But it's enough to create a 2 yard cushion for receivers to catch the ball.

I have never seen him make a great read or break on a ball for a pick.

I wonder if players are allowed to adjust. How many times did Gilmore need to be beaten on a 5 yard slant before he came up? If we are afraid of giving up a big play, should we really let them get first downs over and over and over?

Actually no it hasn't as hand technique and jamming at the line has nothing to do with a corners ability to stay with a receiver downfield especially when that corner is lining up 5-10 yards off the receiver to begin with

You hv yet to explain what his injury had to do with being able to stay with a receiver downfield especially when he lines up off the receiver to begin with?

Ur argument doesn't make any sense but you are obviously not getting that

Just stop man. Lol. I know where you are coming from. But you are gonna start a riot. You would thing because corners have to master the technique of BODY POSITIONING and ball tracking he wouldn't be a fish out of water with a bad wrist. Gilmore is very physical. Problem is its always an arm bar or jersey grab. I was sincerely hoping that the wrist injury would help him refine his man coverage skills. The wrist would keep him from ints and even tackling. But he just doesn't get in between the ball and his man enough for me. I wanna know where he wad on the Harry Douglass TD.

Just stop man. Lol. I know where you are coming from. But you are gonna start a riot. You would thing because corners have to master the technique of BODY POSITIONING and ball tracking he wouldn't be a fish out of water with a bad wrist. Gilmore is very physical. Problem is its always an arm bar or jersey grab. I was sincerely hoping that the wrist injury would help him refine his man coverage skills. The wrist would keep him from ints and even tackling. But he just doesn't get in between the ball and his man enough for me. I wanna know where he wad on the Harry Douglass TD.

On the Harry Douglass play you're referring to, Robey had coverage. Wasn't a TD as he was down inside the one upon review.

Blaming his injury for his play today, after he's gotten a pass the last few games is a bit annoying. I don't think his wrist was bothering him to the point where he can't read the slant pattern and jump on the ball like an "elite" corner would the tenth time the receiver runs that route.

It is technically too early to make any concrete judgements on Gilmore, but there's something about his game that makes him difficult to be excitable about. Mostly I think its knowing that he has not, and rarely looks like he's about to make a good play on the ball.

Hell, even though he drops it - McKelvin still gets his hands on the ball and tries to make a play on the ball.

From the Jets game last year to the Falcons game today.

It's been consistent for the first two years of his career, opposing teams purposely attack him in their gameplan.

Gilmore is just not that good. Lets be honest here.

It dates back to college. As a USC fan, trust me he was burned often in the SEC as well. He's good, but definitely not first round talent.

On the Harry Douglass play you're referring to, Robey had coverage. Wasn't a TD as he was down inside the one upon review.

I'm pretty sure I saw Gilmore lined up across from him. I'm pretty sure I saw Gilmore over run the route. And I'm pretty sure Gilmore took Byrd out. Could be wrong but Robey made the stop

The injury wasn't to his legs, it was to his wrist. Gilmore has struggled since he came in the league. He gets picked on every week because he is terrible. He is not athletic enuf to play corner. He gets called for holding or pass interference every single game. There is no way he should be starting for us. This is one of the many reasons we are a bad football team year after year. We draft guys like Stefan Gilmore w the 11th pick, and he looks absolutely lost playing the NFL game. McKelvin isn't great, but he is a much better athlete than Gilmore, and competes 10 times harder on every play. Gilmore looks worse now than the first time he suited up for us last year.

It took McKelvin 5 years in the league to look like he belonged on the field.

I was willing to give Gilmore a pass when he first came back, because of the club on his hand. But as the weeks go by, it's clear that his wrist injury has virtually nothing to do with the bad play.

His problem is not jamming or losing battles physically with opposing receivers. He's simply not covering well. Most plays, he's 5-10 yards away from the guy he's supposed to be on with no chance make a play on the ball. The only time he's close, it's usually because he's holding and/or interfering with the receiver.

Teams will always test the weakest link in the secondary. As a rookie, Gilmore was torched early in the season. Then teams started realizing that Aaron Williams was even worse and started picking on him instead. This year, Leodis McKelvin is playing very well on the other side. Nickel Robey is playing very well in the slot. Quarterbacks are testing Gilmore and proving he's just not very good.

I guess we could always look on the bright side. We could always move Gilmore to safety (Williams) or wait 5 seasons for him to develop (McKelvin).

The D is soft, always has been. Gilmore played poorly I thought, but the two long td runs are on Kiko. He missed badly and over pursed

the first one was Leonhard totally missing on the tackle. Alonso had next to no chance to make that angle. The OLB was too close to the line. It was a good play and read that beat an exposed defense

Gilmore is aggressive at the line with his press, and for weaker/smaller receivers in timing-based offenses, I'm sure he's disruptive as hell. I'm starting to think that's why he was over-drafted - he looks better against weak players.

But he's a mess against savvier route runners or bigger, physical WRs who don't get disrupted by his antics. Bowe abused him a few weeks ago. Roddy White had no difficulties beating the press yesterday. And once the WR gets off of the line, Gilmore seems to have to resort to clutching and grabbing in order to stay with his man, which is very, very alarming. He seems to joust more than cover, which also explains why he's nowhere close to making plays on the ball most of the time.

I'm pretty sure I saw Gilmore lined up across from him. I'm pretty sure I saw Gilmore over run the route. And I'm pretty sure Gilmore took Byrd out. Could be wrong but Robey made the stop

I was wrong. :oops: You had it right that It was Gilmore who lost coverage on Douglass.

He plays press coverage technique. Uses his hands to control WR and be physical down field. He has regressed this season and expect him to bounce back. Don't look to the draft for a Revis type. This upcoming CB draft class is deep but no top of the draft talent. I think the whole secondary is in need of better coaching.

You may have something there. I came to this thread to suggest attaching the nickname "cushion" to Gilmore as I just couldn't believe how far he was off the WRs, but maybe that's not his call. Too early to give up, but not to early to question.

Interesting point on Gilmore turning his back. I noticed it a few times in this game. I have never played the game so I don't know for sure, but it seems to me like a good DB should never have to do that. I am interested in a comment from someone who has some expertise here.