The Future of the TE Position

b-unit

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been saying for awhile we need a top flight TE. Athough somewhat kidding, let's go to the NBA tryouts, draft, whatever, and ask every one who does not get drafted, "hey have you ever played football" sign a bunch as undrafted free agents, and see if one pans out. Basketball players are some of the best athletes and if one has played both sports their whole life, they probably wold work out.

Seriously though, I see us picking up the best CB in round 1, TE in rd 2, and G in round 3. Best player available afterwards, and if we hit on our first three picks like we have in the last two years, we really improve this team. EJ would have a full season of ota's, and pre-season, and we see him grow and develop. I want an older QB to back him up who is game ready, Thad as our third as he proved this year he is a decent third stringer. Tuel is a tool and at best practice squad.

Seriously though, I see us picking up the best CB in round 1......

This isn't the first time that I have seen this proposed.......and I just can't understand the logic of it.

What are your reasons behind it?

Eric Ebron is the TE I really like this draft. The potential there is huge, he's that big athlete in the mold of Graham. The big question is if he'll continue to grow in strength so he can make those tough catches in crowds. I don't care for Amaro at all, he's not even a TE at Tech, he's a slot WR that requires no press coverage, i.e. a fancier David Nelson.

So you think that he won't be able to get off the LOS as a traditional TE in the NFL?

When I think of drafting a tight end.. I keep thinking about the bust known as Tony Hunter... For every Gronk in the draft there are just as many Tony Hunter's... It makes shy away from that position with a number one pick.. I would much rather take a stud O-lineman or a top shelf Linebacker.. But I am just a fan and most likely am totally wrong... Just my humble opinion on the subject...

And...Byrd for Graham??! Can you imagine?

Saints just drafted Vaccaro (who has been great) & Malcolm Jenkins is the other safety. They have no interest in that deal. It would cost you at least Byrd & 1st to even get them to pick up the phone on Graham (and that is if they needed a safety). Trying to get Graham from them would be like trying to get Thurman Thomas from the Bills in the early 90's. They believe (as do I) that he is a top 5 skill position player in the NFL on a Super Bowl contender.

When I think of drafting a tight end.. I keep thinking about the bust known as Tony Hunter... For every Gronk in the draft there are just as many Tony Hunter's... It makes shy away from that position with a number one pick.. I would much rather take a stud O-lineman or a top shelf Linebacker.. But I am just a fan and most likely am totally wrong... Just my humble opinion on the subject...

I get that viewpoint. I think recent history has been pretty kind to highly drafted TEs though...

I may not be recalling correctly, but at the moment I cannot think of too many early-round TEs that have been glaring busts. Maybe Pettigrew, Hendricks...any others you can think of?

I read somewhere that he's going back to school for another year. Not sure if it's true.

Did a search and it sounds like he's waffling. I'd have to think that being rated the #1 TE would make him declare, but you never know. I don't think returning for his senior season to try and win a championship that's not happening is a smart move.

I get that viewpoint. I think recent history has been pretty kind to highly drafted TEs though...

I may not be recalling correctly, but at the moment I cannot think of too many early-round TEs that have been glaring busts. Maybe Pettigrew, Hendricks...any others you can think of?

I've had a quick look at 1st round TE stats & it appears that you are quite correct. Though I don't have the knowledge to incorporate the TE's blocking abilities, there seems to be a very low bust rate. Even Pettigrew has had impressive stats compared to the average TEs. In his 2nd & 3rd year he was 71-722-4 & 83-777-5.....and then injured in his third season. (I don't know who you are referring to with Hendricks though).

It seems that like most positions, TEs often need several years to become good/solid/top players......with the difference being that even in the years where they are learning, 1st round TEs seem to have stats that are similar or better to the average TE(all Bills TEs).

In my view, if there is a highly rated TE worthy of 1st round selection that is available when the Bills pick, we should select him.

For those interested, here is the list of previous 1st round TEs.....with links to each player's stat page.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=1936&year_max=2013&type=&round_min=1&round_max=1&slot_min=1&slot_max=500&league_id=&team_id=&pos=TE&college_id=all&conference=any&show=all

Real question, is it a low bust rate, or just that even bad ones are passable? Many here argue that chandler is potentially top ten while others think he's merely an adequate backup- what other positions have such a wide spread on a single guy?

Is it talent levels being relatively close or fans being worse at evaluating them or?

Real question, is it a low bust rate, or just that even bad ones are passable? Many here argue that chandler is potentially top ten while others think he's merely an adequate backup- what other positions have such a wide spread on a single guy?

Is it talent levels being relatively close or fans being worse at evaluating them or?

That was pretty much my point though. Even the ones that don't become probowlers put up better stats than Chandler.

If you are looking at a likely minimal upgrade.....with potential to obtain a star.....that is a very safe pick to make.

I think when healthy Chandler is a quality complementary piece but he's not a weapon who's going to take over the game, the Bills could really use a top 5 type guy at TE or WR my take is It'd be easier to get a guy to knock Chandler to 2nd TE Then to get a WR better than SJ, RW. MG,- Right now I like the Idea of Mack in the first round and then getting one of the top three TE's with our next pick even if we have to trade up a little bit - the thing with the Bills is that If they can bring everyone back and if they can stay reasonably healthy (two huge ifs) they are very close to being a playoff type team - an upgrade at LG and another weapon on offense and Mack on defense ( could be like the addition of Cornelius Bennett) continued development of EJ oh and maybe a punter = one damn fine team

its black and white. theres no chance he sees the door.

they will restructure or get rid of harper and smith, and pay graham. obviously nothing is certain with the nfl but this is about as close as you get. they are ready to take care of him and have been planning for this for years now, his contract is no surprise to the front office, even if it takes the tag to get it done he will be a saint.

just like the pats took care of gronk despite having money in brady. you keep cornerstone players and graham is an absolute cornerstone.

What he said.

Good news is, there may be 3 tight ends with 1st round potential in this draft. I keep hearing Amaro, Ebron and Jenkins mentioned. No matter where we pick, a good one will likely be available.

I think when healthy Chandler is a quality complementary piece but he's not a weapon who's going to take over the game, the Bills could really use a top 5 type guy at TE or WR my take is It'd be easier to get a guy to knock Chandler to 2nd TE Then to get a WR better than SJ, RW. MG,- Right now I like the Idea of Mack in the first round and then getting one of the top three TE's with our next pick even if we have to trade up a little bit - the thing with the Bills is that If they can bring everyone back and if they can stay reasonably healthy (two huge ifs) they are very close to being a playoff type team - an upgrade at LG and another weapon on offense and Mack on defense ( could be like the addition of Cornelius Bennett) continued development of EJ oh and maybe a punter = one damn fine team

Chandler is a big target with good hands, but he offers almost no YAC ability.

Our offense has good running backs, fast deep threats, and strong possession receivers. A big/athletic target in the middle of the field is the biggest missing piece.

Dave Casper was a great TE drafted high, but then there are Junior Miller, Lonnie Johnson, Kyle Brady, Paul Coffman, Tony Hunter (As noted above).. drafting TEs high is a crap shoot.

there isn't a position in the league you can't play that game with.

This draft looks loaded with good TEs. Perfect year to grab one. A young QB needs a good TE. Chandler is solid but is limited. A field stretcher and mismatch at TE could take this offense to the next level. Next to QB, this is the position the Bills have neglected for far too long.