Official Playoff Possibilities Thread

eball

I think everyone posting in this thread is aware that in order to have a chance the Bills need to win at least 4 more games (meaning every game is the "game of the season" for the Bills). The point is to see what else needs to occur for them to have that shot.

Absolutely, the whole point of this thread, I think is to look at the possibility of a playoff shot. I think everyone is aware that the Bills need to handle their end by winning. I'm just trying to point out that the Bills may not be simply playing for the last wildcard spot. Taking the division is actually a valid possibility. Long shot but not as far fetched as some would think. There is a lot of football left before the post season. If NE loses their next two games, I'm sniffing a division championship. They don't need to lose out, but they do need to lose 3 of 5 before us and if it's 4 of 5 even better.

Correct on the last part, but not quite right on the first part--if they lose to the Broncos tonight, they'd need to lose two more out of the last 4 games before falling to the Bills in Week 17. That would put us both at 9-7--not sure about the tie breakers beyond that, but head to head would be even. They have the Ravens and Fins and Texans and Browns in those other 4. I'd say that at least the Fins and Birds could possibly beat them. Not saying this is happening, but it's not completely impossible, especially if they should lose tonight. The tougher part is obviously us stringing together 5 wins, including against them at home in Week 17. The chances of all of this happening--probably less than 2-3%....

That percentage changes exponentially with every Bills win!

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that after this week, SD and Pitt both look like the teams to beat. Both have relatively easy schedules (almost as easy as ours) and they'd reasonably have to lose two or more games.

The Bills aren't out, but I'm suspecting that they really might have to win out if they hope to make the playoffs.

What matters is that the other games we wanted went our way today, and 9-7 has a good chance at the #6 seed without complicated scenarios and a million upsets.

That doesn't mean Lombardi trophy, but it means coming out of our bye against a weak Falcons team with meaningful December football. I don't expect to beat New England in New England in week 17, but I am really excited to creep closer to that being a game that matters and not playing any meaningless football this year. That would be a big deal to the growth of this team.

5-7 and still alive here we come!

Who said anything about upsets? NE ain't "all that". I think it's kind of hilarious how it's permanently inscribed in everyone's brains that NE is the division champ without even thinking about it. They are far from wrapping up the division. Edited by Rockinon

Playoff picture after Week 12's games.

6. Titans 5-6

7. Steelers 5-6

8. Ravens 5-6

9. Chargers 5-6

10. Jets 5-6

11. Dolphins 5-6

12. Raiders 4-7

13. Browns 4-7

14. Bills 4-7

Here is Week 13's critical games:

Thanksgiving

Raiders @ Cowboys

Steelers @ Ravens

Sunday

Titans @ Colts

Jaguars @ Browns

Dolphins @ Jets

Bengals @ Chargers

Edited by Mark Vader

Who said anything about upsets? NE ain't "all that". I think it's kind of hilarious how it's permanently inscribed in everyone's brains that NE is the division champ without even thinking about it. They are far from wrapping up the division.

Absolutely, the whole point of this thread, I think is to look at the possibility of a playoff shot. I think everyone is aware that the Bills need to handle their end by winning. I'm just trying to point out that the Bills may not be simply playing for the last wildcard spot. Taking the division is actually a valid possibility. Long shot but not as far fetched as some would think. There is a lot of football left before the post season. If NE loses their next two games, I'm sniffing a division championship. They don't need to lose out, but they do need to lose 3 of 5 before us and if it's 4 of 5 even better.

That percentage changes exponentially with every Bills win!

Last week I thought maybe you were crazy for thinking this was possible.....but so far today I'm a Billiever!

I think everyone posting in this thread is aware that in order to have a chance the Bills need to win at least 4 more games (meaning every game is the "game of the season" for the Bills). The point is to see what else needs to occur for them to have that shot.

I said Atlanta is the game of the season for us because that's the game I'm concerned about in the upcoming schedule. I'm more comfortable going up against the Bucs...

AFC Playoffs......

Baring a mjor collapse....it looks as if NE, CIN, IND, DEN, and KC make the playoffs....one wild card is up for rabs.

After games on Sunday November 24.....the last Wild card spot.....C/W and C/L are conference wins/loses (second tiebreaker between teams of different divisions if they havent played each other.

team w l C/W C/L 13 14 15 16 17

MIA 5 6 4 3 nyj pit NE buf NYJ

NYJ 5 6 2 6 MIA OAK car CLE mia

BUF 4 7 3 6 ATL tb jax MIA ne

BAL 5 6 5 4 PIT min det NE cin

CLE 4 7 3 5 JAX ne CHI nyj pit

PIT 5 6 4 4 bal MIA CIN gb CLE

TEN 5 6 4 4 ind den AZ jax HOU

SD 5 6 3 5 CIN NYG den OAK KC

OAK 4 7 4 4 dal nyj KC sd DEN

In order to make the playoffs you need to be in 2nd place in your division (3rd place in the west)

next 3 weeks Buffalo has by far the easiest schedule where with most teams they play other teams either battling for playoffs or likely in the playoffs.

Buffalos wild card shot hasnt changed much....

without getting deep into scenarios....

They need to :

1. win out

2. have Jets lose to Miami in one game or if they beat MIA then lose 2 other games

3. PIT & SD & TEN lose 2

4 OAK & CLE lose one

5 BAL lose 1 or NE lose to DEN and MIA before week 16 NE @ BAL game

with #5---it would mean BUF still has a shot at the division title if NE can lose to MIA and either to DEN or at HOU (not both)

TEN has 3 difficult games in the next 3 weeks ...they need to lose 2. Their last two are winnable playing JAX and HOU.

SD has a difficult stretch playing KC, DEN, CIN, NYG, and OAK

PIT has a difficult stretch as well playing at BAL, at GB (with a likely healthy Arron Rodgers), and hosting CIN, MIA, and CLE

CLE still has a difficult 4 games left playing at NE as the likely loss. JAx they should win, their other 3 games will be against fellow teams battling for playoff spots.

OAK are at DAL and JETS, before playing all their divisional rivals---them losing one isnt that much of a reach.

If Jets dont lose to MIA, and only lose one, then it gets into potentially complicated tiebreakers.

Edited by djp14150

I said Atlanta is the game of the season for us because that's the game I'm concerned about in the upcoming schedule. I'm more comfortable going up against the Bucs...

Every game from here on out better be the game of the season or we're toast.

NFC playoff.......

team w l C/W C/L 13 14 15 16 17

PHL 6 5 5 2 AZ DET min CHI dal

DAL 6 5 6 2 OAK chi GB was PHL

NYG 4 7 3 5 was sd SEA det WAS

WAS 3 7 1 6 NYG KC atl DAL nyg

DET 6 5 5 3 GB phl BAL NYG min

CHI 6 5 3 5 min DAL cle phl GB

GB 5.5 5.5 3.5 4.5 det ATL dal PIT chi

NO 9 2 7 0 sea CAR stl car TB

CAR 8 3 6 2 TB no JETS NO atl

SEA 10 1 7 0 NO sf nyg AZ STL

SF 6 4 3 3 STL SEA tb ATL az

AZ 7 4 4 4 phl STL ten sea SF

STL 5 6 2 5 sf az NO TB sea

SF @ WAS happens tomorrow night.....

The only locks on teams right now are SEA, CAR, and NO.

AZ as of now has one WC spot, if SF wins they will have the other.

SF/AZ game could be for a WC spot in week 17

PHL/DAL could be for division title in week 17

GB/CHI could also be for the division title in week 17.

Edited by djp14150

I keep seeing people say locks. Until you either see that little x or y in the win column there are no locks. Anything could happen. Colts could lose enough to be out of contention. Shoot, even NE could lose enough to not make the playoffs. It ain't decided until it is.

Playoff picture after Week 12's games.

6. Titans 5-6

7. Steelers 5-6

8. Ravens 5-6

9. Chargers 5-6

10. Jets 5-6

11. Dolphins 5-6

12. Raiders 4-7

13. Browns 4-7

14. Bills 4-7

Here is Week 13's critical games:

Thanksgiving

Raiders @ Cowboys

Steelers @ Ravens

Sunday

Titans @ Colts

Jaguars @ Browns

Dolphins @ Jets

Bengals @ Chargers

Will the football gods be with the Bills another week?

I'd like to just leave it at - The Bills NEED to win out. Every game must be played like the Jets game. If they come out flat for one game (heck, look at Tampa lately - and Jacksonville - no teams should be dismissed), they are toast. So - as if it shouldn't have been so already - every game is a playoff game here out. No excuses, either, as far as I'm concerned. We've shown we have the talent to play with ANYONE. If we lose out on this playoff shot its because we aren't ready, as a team. I only hope we are. I know the defense looks to be ready.

The Bills have 4 winnable games coming up. If they take care of business they are 8-7 going into week 17 against Pats and probably with some playoff possibilities left.

Of those 4, I think TB is the game they are most likely to lose. Though this team has shown us Jekyll and Hyde even in the last 2 games so it wouldn't shock me if they lose 2 or more of these "winnable" games. Hope the Jets win was enough for this team to pull together and go on a run. It begins and ends with EJ. Unfortunately, there is no margin for error for him to be inconsistent, whicj a rookie typically needs.

The Bills have 4 winnable games coming up. If they take care of business they are 8-7 going into week 17 against Pats and probably with some playoff possibilities left.

Of those 4, I think TB is the game they are most likely to lose. Though this team has shown us Jekyll and Hyde even in the last 2 games so it wouldn't shock me if they lose 2 or more of these "winnable" games. Hope the Jets win was enough for this team to pull together and go on a run. It begins and ends with EJ. Unfortunately, there is no margin for error for him to be inconsistent, whicj a rookie typically needs.

Yeah - one good thing, this schedule, and our still being alive, however small the chances, will give us a good look at EJ, so long as he stays healthy. If he does, we'll have seen him play some good defenses, play with a wide cast of players, and shoulder the pressure of playoff hopes now that he's had half a season to get accustomed to playing in the NFL. That, to me, is the most important aspect of this season, that EJ is fairly evaluated, because there'll probably be starting caliber QB's to be had in the 2nd, and possibly 3rd round this coming draft.

NE's injuries tonight in the secondary really bring them down and they are not getting the same production from the RB's they had been getting earlier in the season. Brady isn't moving the ball like he used to - targets are part of the issue, not just Brady.

Tennessee is the last spot right now.

The AFCE is more open then people think, and at best the AFCE will be the 4th seed. It's not impossible at all for us to be first.

NE's injuries tonight in the secondary really bring them down and they are not getting the same production from the RB's they had been getting earlier in the season. Brady isn't moving the ball like he used to - targets are part of the issue, not just Brady.

Tennessee is the last spot right now.

The AFCE is more open then people think, and at best the AFCE will be the 4th seed. It's not impossible at all for us to be first.

Buffalo wins out...

Pats hold out to lose tonight

Jets lose to the Fins once, or twice to other teams not named MIA

and Patriots lose @ MIA in week 15 and week 16 @ BAL

Then week 17 is for the division title.

Buffalo wins out...

Pats hold out to lose tonight

Jets lose to the Fins once, or twice to other teams not named MIA

and Patriots lose @ MIA in week 15 and week 16 @ BAL

Then week 17 is for the division title.

I am looking at it as more we conrol our destiny without expecting much from NE. NE only losing one more game, I figure the Ravens.

Pats lose tonight, then Ravens and then against us they are 10-6. Easily possible. We win out...

and:

Pittsburgh must beat Baltimore. If they lose to Baltimore and win out they are in...

If they beat Baltimore then they can still lose 1 game (Fins, Bengals, @GB, Cle) and make it.

Edited by jboyst62