Howard and Simon this morning with Doug Marrone

He got aggressive with Howard and Simon (came across like he was calling them out on the air). It was very awkward with some of the questions about Graham, Hogan and the WR's. IMO Marrone came across as delusional. Just my opinion.

Marrone also admitted he is not keen using spiller in the passing game. Especially vertically. Said it's easier to hand the ball off to him. Only likes utilizing screens, very short stuff.

Yes limit our most dynamic talent on this team and limit plays which get him space. Sounds great!

As Dick Jauron said "its tough to win in the NFL".

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess that explains why they have not split Spiller out this year. To me it seems like a natural thing to do as it can help to create mismatches and it gets him in space.

I take that Marrone is beginning to feel the pressure of the job.

Could it be that the guy can't catch anything but dump offs?

In theory, it may be great to utilize the speed mismatch. But maybe based on practice, they know it will be Graham V 2.0 if they call those plays?

Guess that explains why they have not split Spiller out this year. To me it seems like a natural thing to do as it can help to create mismatches and it gets him in space.

I take that Marrone is beginning to feel the pressure of the job.

Couldn't agree more. I think it's probably starting to get a little warm under his collar.

Marrone gets a pass until he demonstrates total ineptability to manage the players, the game, and the schedule. Which, if it were to occur would not be known until the end of year 3...so far, I like what he's done overall but improvements definitely need to be made...I like the guy and his philosophy...I like his straight-forward approach to answers and his ownership for when he has made mistakes or recognizes areas he needs to improve personally...how that translates to actual game improvement remains to be seen...so, I'll reserve judgment until this time next year and then we'll see just how much progress this team has made...if none, I will begin to rally the cry for another new coach but hold off on asking for execution until the end of the third year.

Edited by BigBuff423

I had a completely different impression than the OP ..he was no different than any of his other weekly appearances. More busting Howard and Jeremy's chops about not being positive.

In terms of Spiller, he just said deep vertical routes for the RB are not in the offense, but the intermediate and screens are. He mentioned so roles and Bush might get deep on the wheel routes, but they are starting from the backfield as well.

Mentioned at end likes EJ in the weather cause he has big hands...said largest hands at the combine.

Always busting Howard to get more excited!

I had a completely different impression than the OP ..he was no different than any of his other weekly appearances. More busting Howard and Jeremy's chops about not being positive.

In terms of Spiller, he just said deep vertical routes for the RB are not in the offense, but the intermediate and screens are. He mentioned so roles and Bush might get deep on the wheel routes, but they are starting from the backfield as well.

Mentioned at end likes EJ in the weather cause he has big hands...said largest hands at the combine.

Always busting Howard to get more excited!

It's funny how people can hear things too different ways. I also people who classify someone as delusional because they don't argee with their opinion.

I actually like Simon and White. But the media can be a joke. Hindsight is always 20-20. They should have done the other thing. Given the injury situation, the QBs rotating in and out, and the young across the board on this team, I really don't know how a rational fan can trash Marrone. He's made his share of mistakes, but it's not like he has Drew Brees

Anyone who saw the photos Buscaglia tweeted of Spiller missing wide open holes straight up the middle would not call him the Bills' best talent. He may have the most talent physically, but he neutralizes it with his atrocious vision and lack of toughness. All important to being a talented football player IMO.

It's funny because Howard and Jeremy try to ask good questions that fans-media want to know and Marrone rips on them for their poor questions..

Marrone is trying to be optimistic & positive and that's his approach to these interviews....so he comes across a bit of a cheerleader and philosopher!

If they are gonna ask if Easley and TJ can step up to fill roles (while hinting they haven't proven anything yet) of course the coach is gonna go off. As he said they are on the team because he has 100% confidence in those guys to play and help win the game.

Anyone who saw the photos Buscaglia tweeted of Spiller missing wide open holes straight up the middle would not call him the Bills' best talent. He may have the most talent physically, but he neutralizes it with his atrocious vision and lack of toughness. All important to being a talented football player IMO.

Say what you want about Spiller, but I can't agree with the "lack of toughness" comment. The guy gutted it out on a high ankle sprain for four weeks when someone lacking toughness would have shut it down until healthy. Arguably, Spiller's "toughness" cost the Bills because they could have had Choice in there at full strength.

Marrone also admitted he is not keen using spiller in the passing game. Especially vertically. Said it's easier to hand the ball off to him. Only likes utilizing screens, very short stuff.

If this is true and I'm not doubting you then he has lost all credibility with me. Why on earth would you not want to utilize a guy like Spiller in every possible way

I really liked the Marrone hire but he is reminding me more and more of Jauron every day

Edited by Max997

Exactly. I thought they did an excellent job.

I honestly think he views those 2 as a couple on-air radio goofballs who act like critical fans when he is not on their show.

I bet Marrone acts differently with interviewers he respects more...like Murphy or some National guys.

He was 2nd in the NFL in yards after contact last year. http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2013/06/cj-spiller-ridiculous/

But let's ignore that he has 100+ yard games against 2 of the best defenses in the NFL. He has a high ankle sprain and is playing running back in the NFL. That might affect you jsut a bit. Spiller is a stud.

Marrone gets a pass until he demonstrates total ineptability to manage the players, the game, and the schedule. Which, if it were to occur would not be known until the end of year 3...so far, I like what he's done overall but improvements definitely need to be made...I like the guy and his philosophy...I like his straight-forward approach to answers and his ownership for when he has made mistakes or recognizes areas he needs to improve personally...how that translates to actual game improvement remains to be seen...so, I'll reserve judgment until this time next year and then we'll see just how much progress this team has made...if none, I will begin to rally the cry for another new coach but hold off on asking for execution until the end of the third year.

Last year when the Bills were in the market for a new coach, I felt Marrone was the best option. Not another retread, the choice was very un-Bills like. I think he does have to be given time. At this point if I could fault him for something, it would be Hackett. This young team and QB would have been better served with a veteran NFL OC and a QB coach.