Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

i doubt there are fans of any other team that could devote almost 50 pages of arguments to how we screwed the pooch on a UDFA, that no team - including the one he's playing for - thought enough of, to draft in the first place..

this place should have it's own reality show.. :doh:

id venture if you want to most other teams boards you would be amazed what they have threads on. this one has been especially long because it isnt just a fresh 6 page thread every week, people have kept the talk contained to one location.

id also guess 3 pages of the 50 are "i cant believe this is 8, 12, 18, 22, 40 50 pages"

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See the post above and my prior comments on the theory why Marrone let Rogers go. It was a bigger issue than waiting for Rogers' talent to emerge. Marrone & rest of the coaches obviously felt the risk vs reward weren't there in their juncture with the organization. Blame timing on this stroke of bad luck. I'm highly confident that if Rogers was in Bills' camp last year, Gailey would have extended a longer leash, just like if Rogers was in camp in 2014, Marrone would also have a different outlook.

I don't blame Marrone for having a lot more priorities in building his first roster than worrying what to do with a talented but UDFA WR.

I'm not so sure of that. Rogers' football acumen, dedication, and attitude, not to mention performance in camp and pre-season games, made it pretty obvious why he was cut at the time. That would have been apparent to most coaches. Can't blame a coach for not wanting to spoon feed a player with a checkered past and big question marks coming in who was doing more to prove why he had those question marks than vice-versa, when he has others that don't require that special attention. Especially in his first year as a head coach as you point out. It's beyond me why this is so hard for some to understand.

GO BILLS!!!

id venture if you want to most other teams boards you would be amazed what they have threads on. this one has been especially long because it isnt just a fresh 6 page thread every week, people have kept the talk contained to one location.

id also guess 3 pages of the 50 are "i cant believe this is 8, 12, 18, 22, 40 50 pages"

haha

I'm not so sure of that. Rogers' football acumen, dedication, and attitude, not to mention performance in camp and pre-season games, made it pretty obvious why he was cut at the time. That would have been apparent to most coaches. Can't blame a coach for not wanting to spoon feed a player with a checkered past and big question marks coming in who was doing more to prove why he had those question marks than vice-versa, when he has others that don't require that special attention. Especially in his first year as a head coach as you point out. It's beyond me why this is so hard for some to understand.

GO BILLS!!!

which is odd, cause his college position coach says hes the smartest football player not named cris carter that hes ever coached.

"He’s the smartest football player I’ve ever coached besides Cris Carter,” Baggett said. “Cris Carter was the smartest as far as studying and knowing game and understanding the game. If Da’Rick learns to study the game, he’ll be the smartest football player on the Colts.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/2596/rogers-had-to-learn-from-past-mistakes

Even reading that article you get the impression that hes still a young kid with growth to be done -- but its not the lazy ass that cant be bothered to practice image that i think many want to paint as much as the insanely talented and not used to having to put in as much work and learning what that means. that he was a project shouldnt have surprised anyone. im not sure why we brought him in if we wanted a finished product from day 1.

Edited by NoSaint

Failure to succumb to peer pressure is highly frowned upon.

in that case i retract my puny comment . thanks for the clarification

sorry to say, that like you, i'm living proof.. just don't understand what's accomplished from beating dead horses.. dead Patriots, maybe.. B-)

Could you rephrase your postion please ?

and then reiterate it .

I would imagine we are not talking about the nearly famous now DR as much as value systems as applied to the Bills ( via the fanbase )

: )

which is odd, cause his college position coach says hes the smartest football player not named cris carter that hes ever coached.

"He’s the smartest football player I’ve ever coached besides Cris Carter,” Baggett said. “Cris Carter was the smartest as far as studying and knowing game and understanding the game. If Da’Rick learns to study the game, he’ll be the smartest football player on the Colts.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/2596/rogers-had-to-learn-from-past-mistakes

Even reading that article you get the impression that hes still a young kid with growth to be done -- but its not the lazy ass that cant be bothered to practice image that i think many want to paint as much as the insanely talented and not used to having to put in as much work and learning what that means. that he was a project shouldnt have surprised anyone. im not sure why we brought him in if we wanted a finished product from day 1.

SPIN !

He was so smart he decided with his actions not to play for the Bills ?

I read that comment before.

"He's the smartest football player I've ever coached besides Cris Carter," Baggett said. "Cris Carter was the smartest as far as studying and knowing game and understanding the game. If Da'Rick learns to study the game, he'll be the smartest football player on the Colts."

http://espn.go.com/b...m-past-mistakes

A bit of a contradiction?

"He's the smartest football player I've ever coached besides Cris Carter," Baggett said. "Cris Carter was the smartest as far as studying and knowing game and understanding the game. If Da'Rick learns to study the game, he'll be the smartest football player on the Colts."

http://espn.go.com/b...m-past-mistakes

Big if.

I would expect his coach to be effusive in his praise but it's too bad Rogers didn't exhibit enough of those qualities while in Buffalo.

And I wouldn't characterize his attitude as a laziness that doesn't want to practice. It's more of a laziness born out of selectivity. There were times he hustled and times he didn't. Times when he knew his playbook in film review and times he didn't. Times when his concentration was rewarded with good play and times when his lack of focus hurt his chances.

Bottom line is he was too inconsistent while others clearly outperformed him. And he was growing more and more impatient with the diminishing reps as a result of being outperformed by the very scrubs everyone likes to mock. That says more about Rogers than it does about any scrub he didn't beat out when he had the opportunity. I can only imagine how frustrating that was for Rogers at the time.

Maybe the kid was pressing too hard knowing he was coming in with all those marks against him. That's perfectly understandable. But so is knowing, as a coach, that I've got to reward those that have done more to earn further opportunities moving forward.

GO BILLS!!!

A bit of a contradiction?

i took it as him naturally being very smart on the field from the second he steps on it, and if he continues to learn the good habits to go with his natural gifts he will be the most educated on the roster. not contradictory in that sense.

and between his immense physical talent, the game coming naturally to him, his short (and interrupted) college career, and yes that it was a known issue that he never had developed those habits in his 2 years at tennessee -- its not shocking that hed be lacking polish in the film room or practice field. we drafted a WR that worked with him all spring, id assume we surely spoke with coaches and teammates that likely said very similar that he was sharp as a tack, but still putting together the professional half of professional athlete.

as i said before, id think that would be 100% expected that youd have to spend extra attention getting him in good habits that less gifted guys almost certainly already have established to get to this point and if you didnt want to work with him on those qualities why bring him in from the get go?

Edited by NoSaint

i took it as him naturally being very smart on the field from the second he steps on it, and if he continues to learn the good habits to go with his natural gifts he will be the most educated on the roster. not contradictory in that sense.

and between his immense physical talent, the game coming naturally to him, his short (and interrupted) college career, and yes that it was a known issue -- its not shocking that hed be lacking polish in the film room or practice field. we drafted a WR that worked with him all spring, id assume we surely spoke with coaches and teammates that likely said very similar that he was sharp as a tack, but still putting together the professional half of professional athlete.

as i said before, id think that would be 100% expected that youd have to spend extra attention getting him in good habits that less gifted guys almost certainly already have established to get to this point and if you didnt want to work with him on those qualities why bring him in from the get go?

Are you suggesting the Bills staff didn't work with Rogers?

Are you suggesting the Bills staff expected a polished professional the minute Rogers hit the field?

Tell me, other than them being a bunch of really stupid people that are clearly out of their depth in the NFL with no clue about talent assessment , why did Marrone and Co. decide to cut Rogers?

GO BILLS!!!

and between his immense physical talent, the game coming naturally to him, his short (and interrupted) college career, and yes that it was a known issue that he never had developed those habits in his 2 years at tennessee -- its not shocking that hed be lacking polish in the film room or practice field. we drafted a WR that worked with him all spring, id assume we surely spoke with coaches and teammates that likely said very similar that he was sharp as a tack, but still putting together the professional half of professional athlete.

Considering that 18 teams never contacted Rogers, it's safe to say that Bills had an idea of who they were getting. Suffice to say that they were probably as surprised as anyone by his lack of total dedication to make the roster, given the hill he needed to climb. Looks like the cut and snub by Miami finally woke him up, because it certainly didn't look like he was ready to do it in Buffalo.

And that's the part you could be missing. What if, after getting into town, he decided he didn't like the staff and the opportunity, and he decided to slack off. Would you still blame the staff for cutting a player who gave a half-hearted effort?

I just want to applaud NoSaint and Kirby Jackson for being totally on point and 100% correct in their assessment of the Da'Rick situation and the Bills mistake. You guys are a beacon of hope in this raging blizzard. Good work.

GG, I'm sure you're a great guy but your arguments are based almost totally on speculation. You may be in fact correct, but buffalo's glaring deficiency at wr, lack of production from hogan and Easley, and Rogers progress in the colts organization say otherwise.

Edited by dubs

I just want to applaud NoSaint and Kirby Jackson for being totally on point and 100% correct in their assessment of the Da'Rick situation and the Bills mistake. You guys are a beacon of hope in this raging blizzard. Good work.

GG, I'm sure you're a great guy but your arguments are based almost totally on speculation. You may be in fact correct, but buffalo's glaring deficiency at wr, lack of production from hogan and Easley, and Rogers progress in the colts organization say otherwise.

Good guy or not, I understand how organizational decisions are made when you have to account for talented but mercurial malcontents who could spoil the entire business environment. Even in retrospect, it was the right decision.

Good guy or not, I understand how organizational decisions are made when you have to account for talented but mercurial malcontents who could spoil the entire business environment. Even in retrospect, it was the right decision.

If an undrafted rookie had any sort of influence over anyone in the locker room there are much bigger issues with this team than what we are discussing.

Are you suggesting the Bills staff didn't work with Rogers?

Are you suggesting the Bills staff expected a polished professional the minute Rogers hit the field?

Tell me, other than them being a bunch of really stupid people that are clearly out of their depth in the NFL with no clue about talent assessment , why did Marrone and Co. decide to cut Rogers?

GO BILLS!!!

im suggesting that they seemingly valued production week 1 of 2013 over the long term potential too heavily (common coaching issue)

im questioning whether they weigh too heavily towards the "program" over long term potential that comes with hiccups and hard work along the way(common coaching issue)

that our coach might let likability or personality cloud professional opinions (common everyday problem)

and based on the performance of our offense, our WRs coach being fired, and more, whether they may have simply blown the decision

i do question whether they had expectations in line and the correct plans in place, and i dont think thats as unreasonable as you are trying to frame it. are you suggesting that because they took the action, it should be regarded the right action?

Edited by NoSaint

Don't know if anyone posted this already but Marrone getting rid of talented players is nothing new. He preached accountability at Syracuse as well. He booted his best WR (TB'S Mike Williams) during the season because he kept making poor choices. He was a proven college receiver that was a finalist for the Belitnikoff. It looks like he practices what he preaches (Crossman excluded pending reports to the contrary).

Again, you may be right or you may be wrong. I'm saying that your opinion is based totally on speculation. Basically saying that Marrone and co had to have cut him because of X, Y, and Z. There's just no evidence to support that then the cut itself.

It's equally speculative to say teams including buffalo have to much of a short term view of things and not enough patience with players that need time to develop. Both points are simply guesses.

What we do know based on observations is that:

1) buffalo lacks a big, physical receiver

2) we had a guy that could potentially fill that role

3) we cut him

4) he's developing nicely in Indy as evidence by his increase in playing time and incredible clutch catch he made in a playoff game.

3) we cut him

4) he's developing nicely in Indy as evidence by his increase in playing time and incredible clutch catch he made in a playoff game.

The only point I would disagree with is that I think injuries played the biggest role in his increased playing time.

Don't know if anyone posted this already but Marrone getting rid of talented players is nothing new. He preached accountability at Syracuse as well. He booted his best WR (TB'S Mike Williams) during the season because he kept making poor choices. He was a proven college receiver that was a finalist for the Belitnikoff. It looks like he practices what he preaches (Crossman excluded pending reports to the contrary).

But Da'Rick didn't actually do anything wrong while he was on the Bills rosters.

Would be stupid to punish a guy for things he did several years ago, in college, on a different team.

But Da'Rick didn't actually do anything wrong while he was on the Bills rosters.

Would be stupid to punish a guy for things he did several years ago, in college, on a different team.

I don't think being cut is a punishment. I think it is a result of a number of different things. I loved Bryan Scott. I don't think that him being cut was a punishment. I think he just wasn't performing like they wanted him to. I feel Da'Rick was cut, not based on ability, but for reasons we can only speculate on.

My speculation on the reason: The coaches were stupid enough to think TJ Graham would be a good WR that they should keep on the roster.

Should have frickin cut TJ Graham,

In fairness to TJ, he did get open quite a bit. But, he did also love jump catches and getting in fights with the ball so you could be right. Maybe jump catches look better when they're wearing shorts. :lol:

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Again, you may be right or you may be wrong. I'm saying that your opinion is based totally on speculation. Basically saying that Marrone and co had to have cut him because of X, Y, and Z. There's just no evidence to support that then the cut itself.

It's equally speculative to say teams including buffalo have to much of a short term view of things and not enough patience with players that need time to develop. Both points are simply guesses.

3) we cut him

I an baying my speculation on the public accounts and the word of a poster who's built up enough credibility on this board. Everyone whining about the cut is looking at it in hindsight, as if Rogers one game break out performance is indicative of a future pro bowl career.

I look at it from the spectrum of August and what Rogers did up to that time. Teams do incredible amount of scouting and research on players who are invited to the combine. So for a player who blew away the combine not to even get drafted and then not even get contacted by 18 teams hints that there may be bigger baggage than a few failed pot tests at UT. So that's the framework that Bills had to work from the start. Take that, and add a very half hearted effort in the summer, and it makes the decision to cut him very easy, despite the physical gifts.

As for having a rookie influence the rest of the team, of course it does. If the guy didn't earn a rightful spot and doesn't have the confidence of his QBs, what kind of message does that and to the rest of the team of he made the roster?

Sorry, but if I was the boss, I would also cut Rogers and move on without regret.

im suggesting that they seemingly valued production week 1 of 2013 over the long term potential too heavily (common coaching issue)

im questioning whether they weigh too heavily towards the "program" over long term potential that comes with hiccups and hard work along the way(common coaching issue)

that our coach might let likability or personality cloud professional opinions (common everyday problem)

and based on the performance of our offense, our WRs coach being fired, and more, whether they may have simply blown the decision

i do question whether they had expectations in line and the correct plans in place, and i dont think thats as unreasonable as you are trying to frame it. are you suggesting that because they took the action, it should be regarded the right action?

I'm suggesting we all try to make the best decisions we can at the time with the information available. No more, no less. I am perfectly satisfied there was ample cause to cut Da'Rick Rogers at the time. More than ample, in fact. No less consideration went into that personnel decision than any others. He was outperformed by a considerable margin by guys far less physically gifted. That's on Rogers, not the coaching staff. I fully understand just how tough a sell it is to the guys that DID earn their spots, based on merit, only to tell them we're keeping this guy instead. Now it sucks for Rogers that he didn't have the benefit of having ANY draft pick invested in him, let alone a high one. But given his body of work while with the squad, I'm not sure that would have helped, either. He just wasn't good enough. Eye-popping physical tools or not. Or put another way, he got the least out of more than anyone else at the position. And that's on Rogers, too.

If he goes on to realize his potential, and I don't know anyone that doesn't hope that's the case, he really should write a thank-you note to Marrone and Co. If anything, their candor helped set the kid straight.

GO BILLS!!!

My speculation on the reason: The coaches were stupid enough to think TJ Graham would be a good WR that they should keep on the roster.

Should have frickin cut TJ Graham,

Da'Rick Rogers should have outperformed a previous 3rd round draft choice, then. He should have outperformed two other UDFAs, too.

He didn't.

Not on the field and not in the classroom.

Maybe if he were a little less indifferent to playing special teams and actually busted his ass trying to make an impression there, like others did, like ALL low round draft picks and UDFAs HAVE TO DO, perhaps he'd have stuck.

Other than being big and athletically gifted, he didn't bring as much to the table as other players competing for spots on the team. Simple as that.

GO BILLS!!!

We really don't know what happened. For all I know he ASKED to be cut.

Not in so many words. But his overall performance certainly begged the question.

GO BILLS!!!

I can't believe I am reneging on my promise, but I want to put this out there.

If the Chiefs didn't lose five guys including Jamaal Charles, I don't think we would be talking about Da'Rick Rogers quite so much.

Playoff wins draw attention.

That said, if the Indy D plays like that next week, they are toast.

Could you rephrase your postion please ?

and then reiterate it .

I would imagine we are not talking about the nearly famous now DR as much as value systems as applied to the Bills ( via the fanbase )

: )

hmmm.. thank you,sir... in that case i'll head back to the bench ;)

rogers1.gif

This GIF is the first time I noticed that Sean Smith, KC's 6'3" cornerback gets his hands on the ball first.

Speaking of GIFs,

I wish I had some way of starting a slow clap. This post is excellent.

url-1.gif

That's the one Big Cat introduced us all to.

There's this one too:

slow_clap_vanderbeek.gif

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Failure to succumb to peer pressure is highly frowned upon.

I said earlier that I believe that DR needed a final wake up call and that his release from the Bills followed by no teams immediately claiming him was what he needed. He is talented, there is no question about that but the Bills staff had a rookie 1st RD QB amongst all the other things that go into a huge turnover of employees. They may have felt that the effort it would take to turn DR into a pro was too much and would be better spent other places. I was pumped when they signed him and not pleased when he was released but there is a lot we don't know. I hope he has a terrific career (not against the Bills) and that it shows the staff that extra effort may be worth it for certain players.

Da'Rick Rogers should have outperformed a previous 3rd round draft choice, then. He should have outperformed two other UDFAs, too.

He didn't.

Not on the field and not in the classroom.

Maybe if he were a little less indifferent to playing special teams and actually busted his ass trying to make an impression there, like others did, like ALL low round draft picks and UDFAs HAVE TO DO, perhaps he'd have stuck.

Other than being big and athletically gifted, he didn't bring as much to the table as other players competing for spots on the team. Simple as that.

GO BILLS!!!

Not in so many words. But his overall performance certainly begged the question.

GO BILLS!!!

You're so right because it was all about the Bills' 2013 Super Bowl readiness. No consideration for the long view should have entered into the equation with Rogers because the team was complete, mature, and poised for multiple years of deep playoff runs with the hope of finally grasping the Lombardi and holding a long awaited WNY parade in February. :rolleyes:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

You're so right because it was all about the Bills' 2013 Super Bowl readiness. No consideration for the long view should have entered into the equation with Rogers because the team was complete, mature, and poised for multiple years deep playoff runs with the hope of finally grasping the Lombardi and holding a long awaited WNY parade in February. :rolleyes:

Spot on. Marrone saying that he basically wasn't taking guys with potential, but guys who can play (poorly) now is just short sighted. Was he nervous about being canned after one season? Why not develop young talent?

You're so right because it was all about the Bills' 2013 Super Bowl readiness. No consideration for the long view should have entered into the equation with Rogers because the team was complete, mature, and poised for multiple years of deep playoff runs with the hope of finally grasping the Lombardi and holding a long awaited WNY parade in February. :rolleyes:

There are plenty of players on the active roster, as well as the practice squad, who are here because of future potential rather than their imediate impact in 2013. If the release of Rogers was due simply to the inability of the of the organization to "consider the long view" and their tunnel vision in regard to 2013 production...then how do you explain their decision to keep any players that clearly were not going to make any type of significant contribution in 2013?