Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

I think the point here is that the team was vocal about Rodgers needing to put forth his best effort; what kind of message does that send to the team when the new coach overlooks effort and performance in practice in favor of the raw talent of an UDFA?

What does it say to the team when the guy making plays over the top all spring is an early cut in favor of Chris hogan?

You don't think its possible there might've been a couple players watching yesterday that watched yesterday and thought "figures."

That knife could easily cut either way.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does it say to the team when the guy making plays over the top all spring is an early cut in favor of Chris hogan?

You don't think its possible there might've been a couple players watching yesterday that watched yesterday and thought "figures."

It really depends on what those players saw from Da'Rick while he was with the Bills. They may know exactly why he got cut, saw it first hand in his daily effort and in meetings, etc.

The Bills coaches cant control what Rodgers goes on to do. Maybe getting cut by his first team was another learning experience he needed.

It's honestly not even a debate. This should be a one page thread. Cutting Rogers was a mistake. Period. End of story.

You don't cut guys with that kind of talent without giving him some time to grow into it.

I like Marrone and the FO, but they made a mistake there. Sucks, but what's done is done.

What I'm not seeing enough of, in this beaten to death thread, is why every other team passed on him? Are they all idiots too?

It really depends on what those players saw from Da'Rick while he was with the Bills. They may know exactly why he got cut, saw it first hand in his daily effort and in meetings, etc.

This is very much true. It would be interesting to hear what some of the players were saying/are saying about him. If Kyle Williams was quick to dole out a sniping comment at Marcel Dareus for missing some start times to meetings then I would be curious who would have said what about Rogers. Losing culture and all, I think these guys might have turned in to cannibals going after each other for such petty things if a lot of this behavior was going on.

I agree with this post, but...

I can't agree here. Especially when a first year coach is trying to change a losing culture. It's not just about talent and potential, unfortunately. The team just isn't established enough to take chances on keeping slackers around. Yet.

I have no firsthand knowledge if what went on. But if I was building a team and needed a big, physical receiver for the franchise and saw the potential in Rogers, just before the final cuts, here's what I'd do:

I'd bring him in and say. Kid, look, you've got a lof of talent and I know you've had some trouble in your past. But you're in the NFL now and teams aren't going to have much patience. I'm giving you one chance to show me you belong here. You need to work you arse off. Watch Kyle Williams and how he works. You emulate that and stay out of trouble and maybe you'll make it off the PS. I see you dogging it for one minute and you're gone. On the spot. Capice?

I don't think anything you do with the 6th WR or practice squad guy is going to send a message to veterans or highly touted rookies.

I don't know that I totally agree with the 6th WR bit, but I find it hard to believe that any player's going to look at a guy with that skill set playing on the practice squad and infer anything other than bad behavior can keep you off the 53.

The Bills coaches cant control what Rodgers goes on to do. Maybe getting cut by his first team was another learning experience he needed.

It definitely depends. It just seems like everyone in the anti-Rogers camp assumes the players needed or appreciated the message that was allegedly sent. Maybe, maybe not.

Another wildcard is that woods was allegedly a very good friend and a big part of what got him here potentially after working out with him pre-draft. Sounds like a guy that saw the potential. Could also be a guy you want to shield from a bad influence though (to tell both sides of it, as we truly don't know).

I'll admit its possible that he does nothing for us, or that he might've messed up worse than we heard behind the scenes- it amazes me how few in the opposite camp will say maybe our front office screwed it up (especially after he's drawn really positive comments in Indy and his position coach here was fired)

Edited by NoSaint

I figured this thread would get some traffic after last night.

I don't suppose any of us has enough info to make a fully informed assessment of Marrone's decision to cut Rogers, but there's certainly reason at this point to question his judgment. If Rogers truly was a malcontent showing up the coaches and undermining their authority, it's hard to argue with the decision. If, however, it was merely a case of immaturity, it's hard to defend the decision not to at least sign him to the practice squad (which if a little humbling was all he needed, playing second fiddle to Hogan might have been just as humbling as getting cut).

The wisdom of this decision, or lack thereof, remains to be seen. If this time next year we're cracking cold beers waiting for the Bills game to start then I for one won't be questioning anything Marrone has done. If, on the other hand, we're talking about who to take with the number 9 pick and Da'Rick is coming of a pro-bowl season, then it's going to be real damn hard to defend Marrone.

I can't imagine the kid is going to the Pro Bowl next year, but if he has that kind of turnaround, I'll be happy for him. It'd be hard to defend Marrone, but I think we also need to remember that at the moment Rogers was cut, he was a free agent. Getting him on our practice squad was not a process of claiming - they would have to have signed him.

If Rogers felt this wasn't a good fit, or that he was perpetually in Marrone's dog-house, I could see why he'd try to latch onto another practice squad - with a winner and with a premier QB in tow.

We're just missing so many details - details we're never going to get - about why the kid didn't stay here. I agree that cutting him and keeping Hogan looks like a REALLY poor move in retrospect. But given the responsibilities of a 5/6 receiver, I can understand the desire of the coaching staff to have everyone on the same page and not take a developmental flyer on a kid with promise and trouble written all over him.

I have no firsthand knowledge if what went on. But if I was building a team and needed a big, physical receiver for the franchise and saw the potential in Rogers, just before the final cuts, here's what I'd do:

I'd bring him in and say. Kid, look, you've got a lof of talent and I know you've had some trouble in your past. But you're in the NFL now and teams aren't going to have much patience. I'm giving you one chance to show me you belong here. You need to work you arse off. Watch Kyle Williams and how he works. You emulate that and stay out of trouble and maybe you'll make it off the PS. I see you dogging it for one minute and you're gone. On the spot. Capice?

Agreed again. However, IIRC, it was eluded to in a couple of interviews that Marrone and Whaley did just that to begin with when they signed him as a UFDA.

It definitely depends. It just seems like everyone in the anti-Rogers camp assumes the players needed or appreciated the message that was allegedly sent. Maybe, maybe not.

Another wildcard is that woods was allegedly a very good friend and a big part of what got him here potentially after working out with him pre-draft. Sounds like a guy that saw the potential. Could also be a guy you want to shield from a bad influence though (to tell both sides of it, as we truly don't know).

I'll admit its possible that he does nothing for us, or that he might've messed up worse than we heard behind the scenes- it amazes me how few in the opposite camp will say maybe our front office screwed it up (especially after he's drawn really positive comments in Indy and his position coach here was fired)

It is possible that Hilliard screwed this up, and Marrone was simply listening to his charges, no?

Agreed again. However, IIRC, it was eluded to in a couple of interviews that Marrone and Whaley did just that to begin with when they signed him as a UFDA.

They certainly did, and I trust k9 that Ike did too. The flipside is he's incredibly physically talented, has had coaches refer to him as a very smart football player... Is the line really one strike with a kid like that? And if you tell him he's ons strike is it shocking that he gets down on the situation when he messes up?

Kid was thought to be a work in progress not a model player from day 1

It is possible that Hilliard screwed this up, and Marrone was simply listening to his charges, no?

We may never know.... But I'd feel better if Ike did a fantastic job with our WRs and had everyone singing his praise today.

I saw this idea posted elsewhere too, and it's a good point. It's just a wild guess, but so is every other part of this discussion.

Watching Hard Knocks shows that position coaches have a large say in who ends up making a squad. It could be that Hilliard went into it with a hard eye on Rodgers, and advised against him. Now, Hilliard is facing the consequences.

They certainly did, and I trust k9 that Ike did too. The flipside is he's incredibly physically talented, has had coaches refer to him as a very smart football player... Is the line really one strike with a kid like that? And if you tell him he's ons strike is it shocking that he gets down on the situation when he messes up?

Kid was thought to be a work in progress not a model player from day 1

We dont know how many strikes he was given, or how many he whiffed on. Oh well. :)

Yes, he was a star in springtime OTAs while wearing shorts.

Training camp and preseason, not so much. He was outperformed daily.

And he wasn't an early cut in favor of Hogan. He was cut in favor of Kaufman. And I wouldn't call it early, either. Second to last cuts isn't considered early.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, he was a star in springtime OTAs while wearing shorts.

Training camp and preseason, not so much. He was outperformed daily.

And he wasn't an early cut in favor of Hogan. He was cut in favor of Kaufman. And I wouldn't call it early, either. Second to last cuts isn't considered early.

GO BILLS!!!

Any insights on why Ike was cut?

Any insights on why Ike was cut?

I'm hearing things came to a head after the Tampa Bay game.

I get the distinct impression the Rogers decision was unanimous among the offensive staff.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm hearing things came to a head after the Tampa Bay game.

I get the distinct impression the Rogers decision was unanimous among the offensive staff.

GO BILLS!!!

Any idea what they came to a head over though? I don't think its linear that Rogers had a good game so he got axed. More so I'm curious what weaknesses ike was perceived to have (not just for this thread, but my own frustrations with the entire group)

Any idea what they came to a head over though? I don't think its linear that Rogers had a good game so he got axed. More so I'm curious what weaknesses ike was perceived to have (not just for this thread, but my own frustrations with the entire group)

I'd just be guessing at this point. My hunch is that the film review after the game showed the receivers probably had their worst game as a group and in every facet.

To reiterate, Rogers had nothing to do with it. The whole staff wants to see him do well. Just wasn't a good fit.

GO BILLS!!!

Why is this so difficult for u guys to understand, Rogers could of easily been put on the practice squad. His job was taken by Streeter not Hogan even though he is also garbage. The Bills should of given Rogers more time to develop, this kid was playing division 3 football the previous yr. He needed time to learn and develop. But he also showed lots of flashes during ota's and training camp. He connected on a ton of deep balls with Ej. The Bills made a big mistake not keeping.this kid

Potentially, I do. They lost 2 games in OT an another 1 or 2 in the last couple of minutes. Tht means to me 1 play could have changed a game or 2. He may have been able to make one of those.

This right here is ridiculous to me. You THINK he could have. Is that the coat tails you want to ride? A guy who had one catch in the Colts game, had one other good game, was going to win us 2 games this year? I don't get it, Hogan didn't play much, if Rodgers took his place on the roster, I'm willing to be he would have had the same role as Hogan and wouldn't be on the field much either. Would coulda shoulda, get over it!

This thread has once again spun out of control. The bottom line is that he is better than the guys ahead of him. He was capable of making a couple of plays a game and the Bills lost a lot of close games. In addition, he has way more upside than the CFL scrubs ahead of him. No one thinks that he is a HOFer but those defending Da'Rick think that the team would have been better with him than CH.

I dont get how one can be so matter of fact about these things? I think those ahead of him didn't have enough time to prove themselves this year. Who's to say in our offense that Rodgers would not have been just as invisible? This is an absolutely ridiculous thread, and for some reason, I keep it going by responding. This thread is laughable. If Rodgers becomes something amazing, oh well! He wasn't right for our team at he time, and its not like this type of thing had never happened in the history of the NFL, and its not like its only happened to the Bills!!!

Best of luck to Rodgers, but he's not on our team anymore. Worst of luck to Rodgers when he plays us. Lets stop dwelling in the past.