World War 2: has all been forgiven?

birdog1960

Wondering what he would have said regarding the Mercedes Benz plant in Alabama or the Toyota plant in Texas.

it's a different world. as a pragmatist, he'd undoubtedly think it was a necessary evil. i think he'd be disappointed that the us car industry had fallen so far but he witnessed that first hand. i think we'd all rather see chevys being made in tokyo or stuttgart than vice versa. he still wouldn't be driving either of those brands. and many of his contemporaries wouldn't either.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i need to tell a true story here: at our wedding, a latvian friend of my wife"s family was present. my dad and he both fought in WWII in europe. they were comparing where they were at various times and it quickly struck my dad, "you fought with the germans". there was no animosity. in fact, they talked for a very long time. the latvian man was conscripted. but mercedes benz...whole different thing. incredible times and i'm very thankful for those that saved the world from a very dismal future and to all those that have served then or at any time.

I always like stories where former hated enemies during war end up having respect and forgiveness for each other. Its always fascinating to me when watching a documentary or something on the history channel and they interview American and German soldiers or have joint commemorative ceremonies. It's moving to see former bitter enemies like that

Wondering what he would have said regarding the Mercedes Benz plant in Alabama or the Toyota plant in Texas.

It's a different world. Many "foreign" brands are actually more American than "domestic" brands. So I know people can easily justify buying an American made product built by Americans with predominantly American components even if its a foreign brand.

That's why I always scratch my head when I see bumper stickers complaining about foreign cars. The guy driving it probably doesn't realize his Ford or GM was probably built in Mexico or Canada and my Nissan was built in smryna Tennessee . But that's another story....

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

just watched the andrews sisters clones sing the national anthem at mercedes benz stadium. just slightly ironic and i suspect galling to many remaining WWII vets. i know my vet dad would be upset if he were around to see it. he absolutely refused to consider any german or japanese car and mercedes http://en.wikipedia....ki/Daimler-Benz were especially disliked. i know of others from "the greatest generation" that felt the same. so with so few WWII vets remaining, is all forgiven or forgotten? anyone here bothered by the (likely accidental) symbolism on veteran's day eve?

Coming from Buffalo, I've always been curious how feelings ran in WWII considering the strong ties many of the European ethnic communities had to their ancestoral countries.

I think in any aspect forgiveness is the ultimate goal, but to coin a common phrase "never forget."

I do dislike the "we're evil for bombing Japan" crowd. My wife works for a Japanese company so I'm constantly exposed to " the Japanese are nicest people on the planet." I try to point out that she (they) are confusing polite with nice and they should really read more into the histoy of that part of the world especially considering the influence it has/will have on the world we live in.

Edited by Kevbeau

Coming from Buffalo, I've always been curious how feelings ran in WWII considering the strong ties many of the European ethnic communities had to their ancestoral countries.

I think in any aspect forgiveness is the ultimate goal, but to coin a common phrase "never forget."

I do dislike the "we're evil for bombing Japan" crowd. My wife works for a Japanese company so I'm constantly exposed to " the Japanese are nicest people on the planet." I try to point out that she (they) are confusing polite with nice and they should really read more into the histoy of that part of the world especially considering the influence it has/will have on the world we live in.

i think it's a sign of the times that last night's game and the vintage accapella group performed at a corporate named stadium and not "veteran's field". global corporatocracy may not be fully developed yet but we're clearly heading that way. i for one, don't much like it.

I went to the WWII museum in New Orleans this summer. All I could think while going through the Pacific Ocean portion of the museum is how so little of that half of the war is taught. School pretty much just mentioned Pearl Harbor and then jump to the bombs, nothing in between. There was some truly brutal stuff on display at that museum.

I went to the WWII museum in New Orleans this summer. All I could think while going through the Pacific Ocean portion of the museum is how so little of that half of the war is taught. School pretty much just mentioned Pearl Harbor and then jump to the bombs, nothing in between. There was some truly brutal stuff on display at that museum.

Pelileu, okinawa, Marshall islands, marianas islands, Philippines, Singapore, makin island, battan death march, coral sea, wake island, new guinea, guadalcanal, midway, hell the Japanese even invaded some of the aleutian islands of Alaska. There are so many interesting campaigns and battles. For whatever reason the pacific never gets the attention Europe gets on the western front. Even more brutal and terrible with even less coverage was the war on the eastern front.

In my opinion some of the more interesting events of the war in the pacific is the USS Indianapolis (how it was almost torpedoed before it delivered the atomic bomb, and the tragedy as it was later sunk on its return.

Or just some of the sheer luck and decisions involved in the battle of midway (including cracking the Japanese code)

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

Average American history of WWII:

Hitler invades Poland.

Hitler invades France, France surrenders.

Hitler invades Russia.

Japan attacks Pearl Harbor. World War II actually begins.

The US invades Normandy, meet up with the Russians.

Hitler shoots himself. We win.

Roosevelt nukes Hiroshima. We win.

Americans are idiots. Hell, we have a distorted view of OUR OWN war history (bet you didn't know that the US Army suffered about 3x as many casualties in three days at Kasserine in Tunisa as the USMC did in four months at Guadalcanal?), why should we understand anyone else's?

Hitler invades Poland.

Hitler invades Russia.

Americans are idiots. Hell, we have a distorted view of OUR OWN war history (bet you didn't know that the US Army suffered about 3x as many casualties in three days at Kasserine in Tunisa as the USMC did in four months at Guadalcanal?), why should we understand anyone else's?

Wait....WWII battles were fought in Africa? And Rommel isn't just the name of my neighbor's Rottweiler?

Hitler invades Poland.

Hitler invades Russia.

Twice as many sailors died at Guadalcanal than did soldiers. 1000 sailors alone at Battle of Savo Island on the first night of the campaign. Wasp and Hornet lost, hell of a campaign for an island that smelled like chit

I was not aware of this Tom, I will have to read up on that................Thanks.

As an aside, I always thought of places like Cold Harbor, Shiloh, The Wilderness, etc: Tens of thousands killed in hours,

whenever I saw the "politically" used Iraq casualty countdowns on many Leftists sites.

Not that any life taken was not worth noting, but the countdowns were not used to "honor" anyone.

Twice as many sailors died at Guadalcanal than did soldiers. 1000 sailors alone at Battle of Savo Island on the first night of the campaign. Wasp and Hornet lost, hell of a campaign for an island that smelled like chit

Shut the !@#$ up, you shitbird troll. I have literally forgotten more about this subject than you know, so much so that even when you try not to troll, I am entitled to tell you "shut the !@#$ up, you shitbird troll," because there is no point you can make that is of any value whatsoever.

Shut the !@#$ up, you shitbird troll. I have literally forgotten more about this subject than you know, so much so that even when you try not to troll, I am entitled to tell you "shut the !@#$ up, you shitbird troll," because there is no point you can make that is of any value whatsoever.

You know more than Admiral Mullen too! :lol:

The bigger their ego is...

Edited by gatorman

You doubt that Gatorman could have been working at McDonalds well into his 30s or 40s?

Or maybe gatorman was in his early 20's and and his father was 47 when he was born? That puts gatorman's father as being born in 1923 or so... 18 in 1941... Heck, those are conservative numbers... How many vets fudged their age to get into WWII? I work with a guy who's father was born in the 1800's (1896 to be exact). The guy I work with was born in 1956... The father (natural father) was 60 when my co-worker was born.

It has been going on since the dawn of time...Old guys having sex with younger gals of childbearing years.

Why is gatorman busted? I was born in 1968 and my father was in during Korea. The war didn't wipe out his dick. :thumbsup: Let the insults flow... MNaybe it should have! :P

You know more than Admiral Mullen too! :lol:

The bigger their ego is...

Yes, I do. So shut the !@#$ up. I'll let you know when you can be taken seriously...it won't be soon.

I work with a guy who's father was born in the 1800's (1896 to be exact).

Ask him how his dad's doing. I haven't seen stuckincincy in a while, I've been worried.