Worst play call ever...

Armchair GM

The problem with that play is that TJ Graham is absolutely abysmal at picking up the ball in the air, and absolutely abysmal at adjusting his route while running, and absolutely abysmal at timing his jumps.

Oh, and he has erratic, weak hands.

Goodwin picks up and catches that ball. Woods catches that ball.

The problem wasnt the call or the pass, although the pass could have been better. The problem was Hackett and Tuel deciding that Graham could actually be relied upon to track and catch that ball which was going to have to be thrown under pressure, and Graham having little talent (outside of getting open) as a WR.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with that play is that TJ Graham is absolutely abysmal at picking up the ball in the air, and absolutely abysmal at adjusting his route while running, and absolutely abysmal at timing his jumps.

Oh, and he has erratic, weak hands.

Goodwin picks up and catches that ball. Woods catches that ball.

The problem wasnt the call or the pass, although the pass could have been better. The problem was Hackett and Tuel deciding that Graham could actually be relied upon to track and catch that ball which was going to have to be thrown under pressure, and Graham having little talent (outside of getting open) as a WR.

those are all valid points, as he was clumsy as anything getting there - even though it was a tougher location for the pass to be thrown too, it shouldnt have been near as awkward as it looked.

The only play I really had an issue with, yesterday was the run by Freddie, up the middle, on 3rd & 7 as time was winding down. As I recall he got three yards...granted, the game was pretty much over at that point, but you have had Tuel slinging the ball all day...why stop on that down? The only way it is not a bad call is if Freddie winds up running it all the way in for a TD. It was kind of conceding the game, for me...all it did was run a ton of time off the clock and kill whatever tiny chance there was of scoring a TD, and, perhaps, recovering an on-side kick. Even if Fred had gotten the first down, it still runs the clock down.

The other calls, I don't have a problem with...all could have worked, but didn't.

What people need to remember is that it is impossible to win in the NFL without an aggressive passing game. Look at Minnesota for evidence. I don't care how good your running game is -- if the opponent has no fear of a qb, they can shut down a running game as it gets close to the goal line. We saw that yesterday.

What people need to remember is a power running game with a QB to just manage the game can indeed still win games.

For the love of gods green earth simply look at Alex Smith's numbers to see how true that is. 19 of 29 for 124 yards NO TD"S, NO INT"S.

The freaking Chiefs offense was held to 3 FG's and still won because the Bills boneheaded OC keeps calling passing plays thinking he has Tom Brady under center, and not an un drafted FA rookie QB making his first NFL start.

The Bills run game literally owned that #5 NFL Chiefs defense to the tune of 241 yards rushing, and averaged 6.3 yards per carry. Tuel 39 attempts passing vs 38 rushes.

For a 4th string QB, he was not that bad. Sure he made mistakes, but there were a lot more to go around, so

why pile it on Tuel.

Crowd mentality dictates a scapegoat is needed in this situation.

Sure, why not. Blame the un drafted FA rookie QB and 2nd year WR. They both make great scapegoats.

The Bills OC called a brilliant game! :doh:

4th & 3 from what, their 40? Fade to, none other than, T.J. Graham...? WTF was that? You have a QB who had made some dreadfull passes throwing to a receiver who has proven he can't track the deep ball well. It's a very low percentage play with the completely wrong people running it.

I saw another thread calling for Tuels head...how about Graham's? What is this guy good for? A speedster with no ball tracking skills...sorry, I can't find a spot on "my" roster for him, you?

Continuing with this rant...the Bills gash KC for 240+ on the ground, the stat line (pure #'s) has us with a pretty balanced attack, 39 passes & 38 runs, but only 28 of those runs are by your top two backs who averaged 10 ypc and 5 ypc respectively. Sorry, but a much heavier dose of ground and pound was in order, by about a swing of 20 plays or so. And this shotgun B.S. on 3rd and short has got to stop.

One of the things I learned as a coach, regardless of what level, you tailor your calls to your strengths. You don't force a running team to throw the ball because it's a "passing league."

Deep breaths...deep breaths!!

I'm with you :thumbsup:

Chan Gailey is looking like a genius compared to Hacker

Sure, why not. Blame the un drafted FA rookie QB and 2nd year WR. They both make great scapegoats.

The Bills OC called a brilliant game! :doh:

Given that he got nearly 500 yards against the "vaunted" Chiefs defense with that "undrafted FA rookie QB and 2nd year WR", I'd have to agree with you; Hackett called a great game.

GO BILLS!!!

Given that he got nearly 500 yards against the "vaunted" Chiefs defense with that "undrafted FA rookie QB and 2nd year WR", I'd have to agree with you; Hackett called a great game.

GO BILLS!!!

They called a gameplan that assumed their QB would execute the most basic of NFL abilities: complete passes to wide open targets.

How dare they?!?!?!?!

GO BILLS!!!

Yea, 470 total, and 241 of those were by the Bills RB's averaging 6.3 YPC.

How dare that un drafted free agent QB in his first start not make every throw perfectly, and not read the defense like a seasoned pro.

3rd down and goal on the Chiefs one yard line. Yeah, let that rookie QB put it up for grabs...instead of running it one more time, and if that fails, then go for the FG! For crying out loud the Bills D only gave up 3 FG's all game to the Chiefs offense.

I don't care what you think, the Bills OC should have a bonfire under his arse for that 3rd down call. I was defending this new OC - HC up until this game. Trying to force Tuel to shoulder the game was even more boneheaded then Gailey ever was with Fitz.

I'm not the only one who thinks like this either.

"Hackett made costly calls in Buffalo Bills' loss"

"Which is why Hackett needed to be smarter on that goal-line cluster of plays. The Bills only needed one yard. Somehow, you've got to find a way to get that one yard."

http://www.democrata...-loss-/3428879/

&

http://www.buffalone...dgment-20131103

This statement shows me that Marrone is just as boneheaded as Hackett.

“Situationally do you question the play call? No,” said coach Doug Marrone. “Do you question the execution of it? Yes.”

"But this time, a safer approach would have been more suitable. I would have run the ball on third down. If that failed, I’d have kicked the field goal, gone up by 10 points, and trusted that K.C. couldn’t score 10 against my inspired defense.

Instead, they put the game in the hands of a kid who had never started an NFL game. The got cute and committed the cardinal sin of coaching. They put a player in position to fail."

Edited by FeartheLosing

truly he made the read to a pretty nfl open receiver - if completed everyone is a hero for being brave enough to take the shot.

Not by me. I still think Marv should have taken the points on 4th and five vs. Houston. It worked out great, but I'm not going to change my mind by the result.

This call was !@#$ing horrible. The game is on the line and you call a super low percentage call.

I wondered why not try for the FG there on a day without much wind. You need two scores anyway and then you have the most clock available to you, presuming you make the kick.

You're actually talking about another series. The last one - and I agree - I thought that's why they ran and picked up six on 3rd. So, they could kick the three and then if they got the onsides kick, they would have had over a minute to get to the end zone.

Yea, 470 total, and 241 of those were by the Bills RB's averaging 6.3 YPC.

How dare that un drafted free agent QB in his first start not make every throw perfectly, and not read the defense like a seasoned pro.

3rd down and goal on the Chiefs one yard line. Yeah, let that rookie QB put it up for grabs...instead of running it one more time, and if that fails, then go for the FG! For crying out loud the Bills D only gave up 3 FG's all game to the Chiefs offense.

I don't care what you think, the Bills OC should have a bonfire under his arse for that 3rd down call. I was defending this new OC - HC up until this game. Trying to force Tuel to shoulder the game was even more boneheaded then Gailey ever was with Fitz.

I'm not the only one who thinks like this either.

"Hackett made costly calls in Buffalo Bills' loss"

"Which is why Hackett needed to be smarter on that goal-line cluster of plays. The Bills only needed one yard. Somehow, you've got to find a way to get that one yard."

http://www.democrata...-loss-/3428879/

&

http://www.buffalone...dgment-20131103

This statement shows me that Marrone is just as boneheaded as Hackett.

“Situationally do you question the play call? No,” said coach Doug Marrone. “Do you question the execution of it? Yes.”

"But this time, a safer approach would have been more suitable. I would have run the ball on third down. If that failed, I’d have kicked the field goal, gone up by 10 points, and trusted that K.C. couldn’t score 10 against my inspired defense.

Instead, they put the game in the hands of a kid who had never started an NFL game. The got cute and committed the cardinal sin of coaching. They put a player in position to fail."

Well, now that you've cited Sal Maiorana and Jerry Sullivan, I'll have to adjust my thinking. Not exactly the most adroit football minds out there. But they are two of the best 20/20 hindsight armchair QBs out there, no doubt.

Mentioning a running game that amassed 241 yards only BOLSTERS the point that Hackett called a good game.

Were you upset by the playcall, against the same coverage on the other side, when Tuel hit Goodwin for the TD? Tuel and all the other QBs have the green light when they see certain coverages. Tuel made the right decision. The play just didn't work as well as it did earlier. That's not on Hackett, who merely put his QB in a position to make plays time and time and time again. It's up to the player to make them. Rookie or not, Tuel wasn't asked to do anything he hadn't practiced and prepared for.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Not by me. I still think Marv should have taken the points on 4th and five vs. Houston. It worked out great, but I'm not going to change my mind by the result

Fair enough- and I think most err too far towards the results instead of the decision making process and use a lot of hindsight. Even me in noting how open graham was is a bit of that. with no deep help, blitz coming, and press coverage outside in a situation where you aren't giving up points, or out of this world field position.... Taking that shot doesn't strike me as the worst play call ever. A lot of coaches take shots on 3rd or 4th and short hoping to catch an over aggressive defense instead of being caught by that over aggressive defense. I think the call was reasonable, despite being risky. Not sure I'd call the same but not a spot I'll beat up a coach unless he makes it a habit to call

Edited by NoSaint

Well, now that you've cited Sal Maiorana and Jerry Sullivan, I'll have to adjust my thinking. Not exactly the most adroit football minds out there. But they are two of the best 20/20 hindsight armchair QBs out there, no doubt.

Mentioning a running game that amassed 241 yards only BOLSTERS the point that Hackett called a good game.

Were you upset by the playcall, against the same coverage on the other side, when Tuel hit Goodwin for the TD? Tuel and all the other QBs have the green light when they see certain coverages. Tuel made the right decision. The play just didn't work as well as it did earlier. That's not on Hackett, who merely put his QB in a position to make plays time and time and time again. It's up to the player to make them. Rookie or not, Tuel wasn't asked to do anything he hadn't practiced and prepared for.

GO BILLS!!!

We are not talking about EJ who was the #1 draft pick here. You are talking about a kid who only won 4 out of 26 games in college, and wasn't invited to the NFL scouting combine and wasn't drafted. Shoot, I wouldn't even let Fitz throw on third and one at the goal line.

Trusting that this kid can make a play against the #5 defense was flat out stupid in my view. The Bills up by 7 points and an easy chance to go up by 10. The defense had only allowed 3 points, 28 yards rushing, 87 yards passing to the Chiefs in that first half.

What was so difficult in trusting the defense to remain solid, which they did by only allowing 3 FG's from the Chiefs offense the entire game.

Not in my view.

This is exactly what got Chan Gailey fired. Forcing his scrub QB to try and make plays while letting his star players at RB take a back seat.

We are not talking about EJ who was the #1 draft pick here. You are talking about a kid who only won 4 out of 26 games in college, and wasn't invited to the NFL scouting combine and wasn't drafted. Shoot, I wouldn't even let Fitz throw on third and one at the goal line.

Trusting that this kid can make a play against the #5 defense was flat out stupid in my view. The Bills up by 7 points and an easy chance to go up by 10. The defense had only allowed 3 points, 28 yards rushing, 87 yards passing to the Chiefs in that first half.

What was so difficult in trusting the defense to remain solid, which they did by only allowing 3 FG's from the Chiefs offense the entire game.

Not in my view.

This is exactly what got Chan Gailey fired. Forcing his scrub QB to try and make plays while letting his star players at RB take a back seat.

This argument would hold water if they hadn't already tried to run the ball and been stuffed for a loss on 2 consecutive plays.

There's nothing wrong with throwing at the 1-yard line on 3rd down and expecting the QB--whoever it is--not to make a gigantic gaffe with the ball.