Worst play call ever...

Armchair GM

4th & 3 from what, their 40? Fade to, none other than, T.J. Graham...? WTF was that? You have a QB who had made some dreadfull passes throwing to a receiver who has proven he can't track the deep ball well. It's a very low percentage play with the completely wrong people running it.

I saw another thread calling for Tuels head...how about Graham's? What is this guy good for? A speedster with no ball tracking skills...sorry, I can't find a spot on "my" roster for him, you?

Continuing with this rant...the Bills gash KC for 240+ on the ground, the stat line (pure #'s) has us with a pretty balanced attack, 39 passes & 38 runs, but only 28 of those runs are by your top two backs who averaged 10 ypc and 5 ypc respectively. Sorry, but a much heavier dose of ground and pound was in order, by about a swing of 20 plays or so. And this shotgun B.S. on 3rd and short has got to stop.

One of the things I learned as a coach, regardless of what level, you tailor your calls to your strengths. You don't force a running team to throw the ball because it's a "passing league."

Deep breaths...deep breaths!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, that forth down call was awful. We ran it down the field all dang day, just keep it going when you have your 4th string QB in.

I think that the next drive was the only KC drive where they scored points, and it wasn't off of a turnover.

4th & 3 from what, their 40? Fade to, none other than, T.J. Graham...? WTF was that? You have a QB who had made some dreadfull passes throwing to a receiver who has proven he can't track the deep ball well. It's a very low percentage play with the completely wrong people running it.

I saw another thread calling for Tuels head...how about Graham's? What is this guy good for? A speedster with no ball tracking skills...sorry, I can't find a spot on "my" roster for him, you?

Continuing with this rant...the Bills gash KC for 240+ on the ground, the stat line (pure #'s) has us with a pretty balanced attack, 39 passes & 38 runs, but only 28 of those runs are by your top two backs who averaged 10 ypc and 5 ypc respectively. Sorry, but a much heavier dose of ground and pound was in order, by about a swing of 20 plays or so. And this shotgun B.S. on 3rd and short has got to stop.

One of the things I learned as a coach, regardless of what level, you tailor your calls to your strengths. You don't force a running team to throw the ball because it's a "passing league."

These are the results you get when you draft players based solely on "tools". One of the reasons the Raiders and Bills have messed up their drafts like they have.

That fourth down call was entirely up to Tuel if he saw a certain coverage. It's how he's coached to take what he sees. Burned them for a TD to Graham earlier and he made a crap throw on the 4th down attempt. Not a good percentage play by any means, but Tuel was hellbent on making that play.

GO BILLS!!!

That fourth down call was entirely up to Tuel if he saw a certain coverage. It's how he's coached to take what he sees. Burned them for a TD to Graham earlier and he made a crap throw on the 4th down attempt. Not a good percentage play by any means, but Tuel was hellbent on making that play.

GO BILLS!!!

truly he made the read to a pretty nfl open receiver - if completed everyone is a hero for being brave enough to take the shot.

we had a wr with a clear shot at the endzone - you just have to take that chance in the nfl.

I honestly think that ball could have been caught. From my point of view...TJ just didn't find the ball. Not a terrible throw...

At least the team has the balls to go for it like they did!

it was likely still catchable, but the location made it a much harder catch.

truly he made the read to a pretty nfl open receiver - if completed everyone is a hero for being brave enough to take the shot.

we had a wr with a clear shot at the endzone - you just have to take that chance in the nfl.

it was likely still catchable, but the location made it a much harder catch.

And I applaud the attempt. I like that Hackett is coaching these guys to be aggressive. Hackett has to be forward looking. He is serving notice to future defenses; setting up future game plans. If there is ONE thing DCs will NEVER stop doing, it's analyzing tendencies.

GO BILLS!!!

And I applaud the attempt. I like that Hackett is coaching these guys to be aggressive. Hackett has to be forward looking. He is serving notice to future defenses; setting up future game plans. If there is ONE thing DCs will NEVER stop doing, it's analyzing tendencies.

GO BILLS!!!

yup - you cant always just call the safe call, even with a backup. perhaps especially with one. you have to take the shots. if we were going to win it was going to take a few explosive plays - you cant expect several prolonged drives. the play call, and the read made created an opportunity for a receiver to see nothing but green between him and the endzone. next week it hopefully pulls the safeties back a bit and makes the underneath stuff a bit easier if we end up in a similar spot. they had 9 men within a yard of the LOS at the snap if i recall correctly (with the blitzer stepping up pre snap to be included).

What people need to remember is that it is impossible to win in the NFL without an aggressive passing game. Look at Minnesota for evidence. I don't care how good your running game is -- if the opponent has no fear of a qb, they can shut down a running game as it gets close to the goal line. We saw that yesterday.

I thought the play was rushed and the throw was bad...I was asking for a timeout there to be honest.

That said, Graham was indeed open...truth is, I don't trust Tuel to make that throw or Graham to make the catch in any event.

unfortunately, due to the last sentence, you probably dont trust them to string together a lot of scoring drives either. which is part of why once its there and open, you kind of have to take your chance. its the curse of starting a 4th stringer - you end up hiding him a lot and then have to take a few big chances in most cases. if you get lucky, you steal a win and the board acts like hes stolen the job, when you dont you end up losing.

I honestly think that ball could have been caught. From my point of view...TJ just didn't find the ball. Not a terrible throw...

At least the team has the balls to go for it like they did!

For all the bad throws Tuel made yesterday, that was NOT one of them.. Ball was put only where WR could have caught it and if Featherstone wasnt so clumpsy and turned properly to the ball and had actually hands, it could easily have been caught.

Hackett deserves NO FLACK for game plan yesterday. Tuel was AWFUL and that pick six was not a bad call, he just telegraphed where he wanted to throw and if he looked at Stevie which was an EASY read, like to EJ's in Carolina game, actually easier cuz Stevie was in line sight as he was only directly behind where ball was thrown. He would have had easiest TD pass of his life with Stevie WIDE open for an easy 6.

If he makes that read and we jumped up 17-3... With the D playing that well and the running game being dominant and OL winning the battles at line of scrimmage, we win this game in spite of Tuel.

His first int was equally bad. He had a VERY clean pocket with zero pressure and his throw just sailed (like 90%) of his passes.

He must be cut.. This kid has nothing going for him. I was ALL OVER Case Keenum coming out of college, its really too bad we didnt get him as our developmental QB.. The kid is a winner and will be a starter in NFL. He has all the" tools"

For all the bad throws Tuel made yesterday, that was NOT one of them.. Ball was put only where WR could have caught it and if Featherstone wasnt so clumpsy and turned properly to the ball and had actually hands, it could easily have been caught.

i wouldnt call it a good one either. it was way outside shoulder. if he leads graham inside its a much easier catch and on 4th down i dont care if the defender can catch it. heck, a pick is better than the safe throw thats a harder catch ending up incomplete.

4th & 3 from what, their 40? Fade to, none other than, T.J. Graham...?

Well if the pass had been completed many posts would have been made proclaiming the call a stroke of genius. :)

As to the bolded, I was thinking that same thing about the KC offensive game plan. Reid willingly took the ball out of his best players hands and had his pedestrian QB throw it all day? I figured at halftime Reid would have come to his senses, but he still did not!

Edited by CodeMonkey

Probably not really the worst EVER - but no question that was a pretty bad call. I was cussing my head off at the screen on that one.

Hackett is not impressing me, to say the least.

While we're at it, why is TJ Graham on this roster again??