Jonathan Martin AWOL, Incognito suspended

uncle flap

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with the whole story coming out? It will in due course anyway.

It will but they have a staff full of professionals to protect their image and put information out their way. They literally have no control over this situation. I know that it is bad but they should be able to somewhat dictate the information that is funneling out.

It will but they have a staff full of professionals to protect their image and put information out their way. They literally have no control over this situation. I know that it is bad but they should be able to somewhat dictate the information that is funneling out.

Yup - who is talking and the message they are delivering is very important in this. Players ignoring organizational instruction and essentially going for mutiny in front of the media seems risky unless they are well trained in what they are saying. I guess its possible they've gotten the go ahead to talk but make it seem like they are so upset they just can't keep quiet though.

Well, the fact of the matter is that right now, there's a bunch of Dolphins who think that this matter has been blown way out of proportion, and they want to get THEIR truth out there.

As is with most everything nowadays, the media jumps all over an issue and spews out whatever THEY decide. We've seen it time & time again (not talking just about sports stories here), where the media "spins" an issue however THEY want to.

I applaud the player's efforts to tell the "other side."

All the indignant "experts" on ESPN sort of look like fools right now, because just like the mainstream media always does, THEY had only a FEW facts about the situation, yet they went full throttle into "he's guilty, he's a racist, throw him out forever."

Well, the fact of the matter is that right now, there's a bunch of Dolphins who think that this matter has been blown way out of proportion, and they want to get THEIR truth out there.

So we shouldn't be quick to believe one side, but we should be quick to believe these Dolphins players?

To look at it in a different light think about the Aaron Hernandez situation. The guy is charged with murder and potentially implicated in multiple other murders. I despise the Pats but they handled it like you would expect an organization of their caliber to handle it. Unfortunately for Miami you can say the same for them in the handling of this situation.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

So we shouldn't be quick to believe one side, but we should be quick to believe these Dolphins players?

I didn't say we should believe them, I just said that THEY wanted to get their truth out there. It's like in that one episode of Seinfeld dealing with George wearing a rug....Jerry asks George if he told his blind date the truth that he was wearing a rug, and George replied, "I told her the truth as I see it." LOL

I would assume that pro football locker rooms are akin to police precincts.....you DON'T rat out each other, no matter what! LOL So maybe these players are lying.....we shall see.

I didn't say we should believe them, I just said that THEY wanted to get their truth out there. It's like in that one episode of Seinfeld dealing with George wearing a rug....Jerry asks George if he told his blind date the truth that he was wearing a rug, and George replied, "I told her the truth as I see it." LOL

I would assume that pro football locker rooms are akin to police precincts.....you DON'T rat out each other, no matter what! LOL So maybe these players are lying.....we shall see.

I think that last point is very believable. It's also possible that Martin is flighty. What we don't know... is a lot. The VM Incognito left is real, and if nothing else, unprofessional. But maybe we'll see how this all shakes out.

What an intriguing group of thoughtful gentlemen are here abouts, seriously .

Jboys said Lamb Basting.

I got hungry all of a sudden . But i dont eat Lamb because my youngest (23) daughter said its cruel to the animal and to advocate the process by eating was wrong.

I miss eating veal french.

But i will not eat it again.

trust is an interesting trait

Hazing is a bad word

Witches though , float .

because they are created from wood .

Ah, but what also floats in water?

Seriously though, as long as we're positing different theories and such, how's this one?

The Fins can't deny the voice mail and texts. It's clear that evidence exists that something happened.

So they can't deny it. What are their alternatives?

What does a gag order imposed by the team's communications department accomplish?

On the other hand, if the Miami players speak freely and can color opinion to make it seem understandable that this was nothing more than the same jock culture which exists in every NFL locker room, does this make the team seem better or worse in the court of public opinion? If they support Incognito and criticize Martin based on the culture of NFL players, does this help or hurt the team? Do these (Hartline, Clabo, etc) opinions tend to make us more forgiving of the team and less forgiving of Martin?

Perhaps the Dolphins (mis)handling of this situation is more shrewd than we are giving them credit for?

Just a thought.

Ah, but what also floats in water?

Seriously though, as long as we're positing different theories and such, how's this one?

The Fins can't deny the voice mail and texts. It's clear that evidence exists that something happened.

So they can't deny it. What are their alternatives?

What does a gag order imposed by the team's communications department accomplish?

On the other hand, if the Miami players speak freely and can color opinion to make it seem understandable that this was nothing more than the same jock culture which exists in every NFL locker room, does this make the team seem better or worse in the court of public opinion? If they support Incognito and criticize Martin based on the culture of NFL players, does this help or hurt the team? Do these (Hartline, Clabo, etc) opinions tend to make us more forgiving of the team and less forgiving of Martin?

Perhaps the Dolphins (mis)handling of this situation is more shrewd than we are giving them credit for?

Just a thought.

It's possible - under the guise of "I just can't sit back and watch this" it certainly has a strong pull on public opinion. I still don't think it's the right play but it may be less insubordination and continued poor leadership.

Looking, I didn't realize last years leadership council had 100% turnover with bush, long, dansby, and bess all no longer on the squad.

Didnt realize that incognito was joined by pouncey as the two offensive line reps - even after his free Hernandez stuff. Just really makes you wonder about the top level decision making a little bit with regards to setting the tone and role models.

It's possible - under the guise of "I just can't sit back and watch this" it certainly has a strong pull on public opinion. I still don't think it's the right play but it may be less insubordination and continued poor leadership.

Looking, I didn't realize last years leadership council had 100% turnover with bush, long, dansby, and bess all no longer on the squad.

Didnt realize that incognito was joined by pouncey as the two offensive line reps - even after his free Hernandez stuff. Just really makes you wonder about the top level decision making a little bit with regards to setting the tone and role models.

I think there are aspects to my theory that make a good deal of sense but I agree that the public dialogue coming from the teammates is probably more serendipity than some brilliant counter-intuitive strategy contrived by a team with great leadership.

It's entirely possible that due to their lack of leadership, the Dolphins are effectively dealing with the situation by pure dumb luck.

Has Martin threatened to take any legal actions? It's possible that the guy never dreamed things would reach such proportions, and would rather not have his life under the microscope for the duration of a trial, etc.

Since so many want to write a narrative to this story, how about this one (DISCLAIMER: I am in no way claiming this to be an actual account of the facts)...

Martin might have just buckled under the constant pressure from his teammates, knew he wasn't playing well, and decided he didn't want to go through it anymore.

He (or his agent) knew he would have to provide a valid reason, and checks into some kind of mental health facility to "get a doctor's excuse", for a nervous breakdown-type of condition. The Dolphins release the story, or the media gets a hold of the story (I'm not sure who released that he wasn't at practice), and Martin has to explain why he isn't there. Martin is under a lot of pressure to explain himself, so he lets everyone know about the kind of hazing he has been receiving, especially from Incognito, who is in charge of "mentoring" him, is a boorish, obnoxious douche, and who he even has crazy, over the top, WWF-style, voice mail messages from.

Now the story truly has a life of it's own...

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

This story gets deeper every day. Now, Ireland (the Dolphins GM) was possible aware of the situation and his alleged response was for Martin to physically confront Incognito.

http://profootballta...ito-physically/

Can't wait for tomorrows episode when it gets revealed that Gloria Estefan visited Martin in the hospital and was screaming at him to "Man the #$%^ up!" while squeezing his nuts in a vise-grip.

Edited by Beebes Bubble

This story gets deeper every day. Now, Ireland (the Dolphins GM) was possible aware of the situation and his alleged response

was for Martin to physically confront Incognito.

Can't wait for tomorrows episode when it gets revealed that Gloria Estefan visited Martin in the hospital and was screaming at him to "Man the #$%^ up!" while squeezing his nuts in a vise-grip.

That should have been his response, they obviously wanted Martin to toughen up and as bad a Richie's comment were, they made Martin decide one way or the other to man up or ship out, he choosing the latter.

That should have been his response, they obviously wanted Martin to toughen up and as bad a Richie's comment were, they made Martin decide one way or the other to man up or ship out, he choosing the latter.

Maybe its just that simple .

The media is rather good at creating a winding road when a short path to the truth exists .

This story gets deeper every day. Now, Ireland (the Dolphins GM) was possible aware of the situation and his alleged response was for Martin to physically confront Incognito.

But the theme of the week was the dolphins had no idea. After the dez Bryant stuff you wonder what kind of judgement or leadership Ireland provided too. I've mentioned philbin more lately but that team has some guys I'm happy we don't which reflects poorly on Ireland

And SjBF - though it's swaying public opinion, if there were actual incidents the players have now given the dynamic that the locker room would also be hostile to return to - last thing dolphins brass should condone in this situation.

Edited by NoSaint

No link but mike and mike reading a piece on mmqb written by a former teammate. Among other things mentioned JM was the first rookie he ever saw refuse to pay for dinner, standoffish to the group, echoes a lot of the sentiments from teammates. Says AFTER the incident Richie chased JM out of the cafeteria to see if he was ok and essentially got the "it's not you it's me" type of answer.

One disclaimer - that it's a teammate that knew incognito for over a decade dating back to playing O line together at Nebraska, but JM only a season. Also the a wild guess is that his source on anything since he was cut by the dolphins is very possibly RI given their long history.

Edited by NoSaint