Official Pre-game Thread: Week 9, Chiefs vs Bills

Dan

Week 9: Kansas City Chiefs at Buffalo Bills

Sunday, November 3, 2013 at 1:00pm

TV Network: CBS (TV Map)

Announcers: Greg Gumbel and Dan Dierdorf

DirecTV: 704

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Joe Buscaglia (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - Sportsnet 590 The Fan

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WTKW (99.5/WTKV 105.5)

Sirius: 91

=================================================================

Game Preview:

As the Kansas City Chiefs keep their strong start in perspective, the Buffalo Bills hope to turn things around by knocking off the NFL's only undefeated team.

The visiting Chiefs look go 9-0 for the first time in 10 years when they try to end their recent struggles against the Bills on Sunday.

The Chiefs expect to be seriously challenged by a Bills team that's won five of the last six meetings and both in the last two seasons by a combined 76-24. Buffalo, though, has dropped three of four and is dealing with a host of injuries as it tries to continue that dominance in the series.

One of the biggest injury issues is Thad Lewis' sore ribs, which could keep the QB on the sideline.  Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scouting Report: Week 9 (from Buffalo Bills.com Chris Brown)

NFL.com Video Preview

'Playbook': Kansas City Chiefs vs. Buffalo Bills

NFL.com Game Center

Teams Stats:   Bills         Chiefs

Total Yds/Game.... 329.0        330.8

Total Rush.............133.9         122.0

Total Pass.............195.1         208.8

Points/Game.......... 22.0           24.0

Time of Poss.......... 27.7           32.5

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 381.1         309.0

Rush Yards........... 117.8         103.2

Pass Yards........... 263.4         205.8

Points Allowed........ 26.6           12.2

Source: NFL.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS

Goodwin, Marquise WR            Elbow              LP      FP       FP         Probable

Hogan, Chris           WR            Back                 -        DNP   DNP       Questionable

Jackson, Fred          RB             Knee              DNP    FP       FP         Probable

Johnson, Stevie       WR            Hip                 DNP    LP       FP         Probable

Lawson, Manny        LB          Hamstring          LP       LP      FP          Probable

Lewis, Thad             QB             Ribs                DNP   DNP     LP         Doubtful

Manuel, EJ               QB            Knee                LP      LP       LP          Out

Smith, Brandon        DB             Illness               -        LP        -                -

Spiller, C.J.              RB             Ankle                LP     LP       FP          Probable

Urbik, Kraig              OL             Knee                LP      FP      FP          Probable

Williams, Kyle           DL           Achilles             DNP   FP       FP          Probable

Williams, Mario         DL             Hip                    -         -         FP          Probable

Source: BuffaloBills.com

Kansas City Chiefs

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS

Avery, Donnie         WR          Shoulder          FP         FP      FP         Probable

Bowe, Dwayne        WR             Groin            FP         LP      FP         Probable

Catapano, Mike       DE              Ankle           Out       Out     Out         Out

Charles, Jamaal      RB              Knee            DNP      LP      FP          Probable

Fasano, Anthony     TE              Knee/Ankle   LP         LP      FP         Probable

Fisher, Eric              OT              Knee/Back   FP         FP      FP         Probable

Lewis, Kendrick       S                Ankle            FP         FP      FP         Probable

McGrath, Sean        TE              Knee             FP         FP      FP         Probable

Moses, Dezman       LB              Toe              FP         FP      FP         Probable

Parker, Ron              DB             Toe               LP         FP      FP         Probable

Sherman, Anthony   RB           Knee/Calf       FP         FP      FP         Probable

Source: KCChiefs.com

Practice Status                                                                                         Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice                                                      Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps                    Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions                Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play                                                                          Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available                                          (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Chiefs -4

Over/Under: 40.5

Source: The Linemakers

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas.

My Take on the Matchup:

Another tough game this week against what I think is our 7th opponent with a top 5 defense.  The Chiefs are flying high being the only undefeated team in the NFL, while the Bills are still the Bills struggling to play with consistency.  Based on that, alone, it's hard to imagine the Bills winning this  game.  Add to the mix the very likelihood that undrafted FA, Tuel Time, may be starting and it seems improbable to expect a win.

The Bills and Chiefs are posting surprisingly similar offensive numbers when you add them all up. But the Chiefs are undefeated because their defense is markedly better.  With teams averaging less than 2 touchdowns against them, its easy to win a lot of games.  Given we have a young, unproven, inexperienced QB and they have a defense that excels at rushing the passer, it's hard to see a Bills offensive explosion.  Therefore, for me, the key to this game is our defense.

The Bills defense needs to step up and shut the Chiefs offense down.  There's no way we can prevail in an offensive shootout.  Forcing Smith out of the pocket and making him uncomfortable will be key. At this point in the season, Smith has been the model of consistent, mistake-free football.  We need to change that by putting Kiko on Charles at all times to shut his production down and then have our line harass the QB all day.

Can the defense finally step up and shut a team down? I doubt it.  However, I'll still be watching:

1. The Defensive Coordinator.  Can he draw up enough creative blitz packages to keep Smith guessing and under pressure?

2. Kiko.  He's a beast, but can he keep his eye on one of the better backs in the league and prevent the long runs and screens that Charles is known for?

3. Our defensive backfield.   They need to play tight coverage all game.  If Smith is rushed by our pressure, it will be completely deflating to see him connect on pass after pass due to soft coverage.

4. Our QB.  Whoever he is... can he protect the ball and move our offense at all?

5. CJ Spiller.  With a week off, hopefully his ankle is better.  It would be a delightful surprise seeing him return to form and find the edge.  He could change the fate of this team if he finds any room at all in the Chiefs defense.

Go Bills!!

For all my Tuel virtiol, he doesn't need to be Drew Brees for the Bills to win. He just needs to avoid turnovers. Not an easy task against KC, but not impossible. I don't think the Bills can win with Tuel, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. A lot of other factors favor us in this game. Just don't think it will be enough to make up for the lack of talent and experience at QB.

Week 9: Kansas City Chiefs at Buffalo Bills

Sunday, November 3, 2013 at 1:00pm

TV Network: CBS (TV Map)

Announcers: Greg Gumbel and Dan Dierdorf

DirecTV: 704

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Joe Buscaglia (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - Sportsnet 590 The Fan;

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WTKW (99.5/WTKV 105.5)

Sirius: 91

=================================================================

Game Preview:

As the Kansas City Chiefs keep their strong start in perspective, the Buffalo Bills hope to turn things around by knocking off the NFL's only undefeated team.

The visiting Chiefs look go 9-0 for the first time in 10 years when they try to end their recent struggles against the Bills on Sunday.

The Chiefs expect to be seriously challenged by a Bills team that's won five of the last six meetings and both in the last two seasons by a combined 76-24. Buffalo, though, has dropped three of four and is dealing with a host of injuries as it tries to continue that dominance in the series.

One of the biggest injury issues is Thad Lewis' sore ribs, which could keep the QB on the sideline. Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scouting Report: Week 9 (from Buffalo Bills.com Chris Brown)

NFL.com Video Preview

'Playbook': Kansas City Chiefs vs. Buffalo Bills

NFL.com Game Center

Teams Stats: Bills Chiefs

Total Yds/Game.... 329.0 330.8

Total Rush.............133.9 122.0

Total Pass.............195.1 208.8

Points/Game.......... 22.0 24.0

Time of Poss.......... 27.7 32.5

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 381.1 309.0

Rush Yards........... 117.8 103.2

Pass Yards........... 263.4 205.8

Points Allowed........ 26.6 12.2

Source: NFL.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills

NAME POSITION INJURY WED. THU. FRI. GAME STATUS

Goodwin, Marquise WR Elbow LP FP FP Probable

Hogan, Chris WR Back - DNP DNP Questionable

Jackson, Fred RB Knee DNP FP FP Probable

Johnson, Stevie WR Hip DNP LP FP Probable

Lawson, Manny LB Hamstring LP LP FP Probable

Lewis, Thad QB Ribs DNP DNP LP Doubtful

Manuel, EJ QB Knee LP LP LP Out

Smith, Brandon DB Illness - LP - -

Spiller, C.J. RB Ankle LP LP FP Probable

Urbik, Kraig OL Knee LP FP FP Probable

Williams, Kyle DL Achilles DNP FP FP Probable

Williams, Mario DL Hip - - FP Probable

Source: BuffaloBills.com

Kansas City Chiefs

NAME POSITION INJURY WED. THU. FRI. GAME STATUS

Avery, Donnie WR Shoulder FP FP FP Probable

Bowe, Dwayne WR Groin FP LP FP Probable

Catapano, Mike DE Ankle Out Out Out Out

Charles, Jamaal RB Knee DNP LP FP Probable

Fasano, Anthony TE Knee/Ankle LP LP FP Probable

Fisher, Eric OT Knee/Back FP FP FP Probable

Lewis, Kendrick S Ankle FP FP FP Probable

McGrath, Sean TE Knee FP FP FP Probable

Moses, Dezman LB Toe FP FP FP Probable

Parker, Ron DB Toe LP FP FP Probable

Sherman, Anthony RB Knee/Calf FP FP FP Probable

Source: KCChiefs.com

Practice Status Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Chiefs -4

Over/Under: 40.5

Source: The Linemakers

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas.

My Take on the Matchup:

Another tough game this week against what I think is our 7th opponent with a top 5 defense. The Chiefs are flying high being the only undefeated team in the NFL, while the Bills are still the Bills struggling to play with consistency. Based on that, alone, it's hard to imagine the Bills winning this game. Add to the mix the very likelihood that undrafted FA, Tuel Time, may be starting and it seems improbable to expect a win.

The Bills and Chiefs are posting surprisingly similar offensive numbers when you add them all up. But the Chiefs are undefeated because their defense is markedly better. With teams averaging less than 2 touchdowns against them, its easy to win a lot of games. Given we have a young, unproven, inexperienced QB and they have a defense that excels at rushing the passer, it's hard to see a Bills offensive explosion. Therefore, for me, the key to this game is our defense.

The Bills defense needs to step up and shut the Chiefs offense down. There's no way we can prevail in an offensive shootout. Forcing Smith out of the pocket and making him uncomfortable will be key. At this point in the season, Smith has been the model of consistent, mistake-free football. We need to change that by putting Kiko on Charles at all times to shut his production down and then have our line harass the QB all day.

Can the defense finally step up and shut a team down? I doubt it. However, I'll still be watching:

1. The Defensive Coordinator. Can he draw up enough creative blitz packages to keep Smith guessing and under pressure?

2. Kiko. He's a beast, but can he keep his eye on one of the better backs in the league and prevent the long runs and screens that Charles is known for?

3. Our defensive backfield. They need to play tight coverage all game. If Smith is rushed by our pressure, it will be completely deflating to see him connect on pass after pass due to soft coverage.

4. Our QB. Whoever he is... can he protect the ball and move our offense at all?

5. CJ Spiller. With a week off, hopefully his ankle is better. It would be a delightful surprise seeing him return to form and find the edge. He could change the fate of this team if he finds any room at all in the Chiefs defense.

Go Bills!!

Nice! Thanks!

What is sadder?

tuel.jpg

a) That I have a Jeff Tuel jersey?

b) That he already changed his #?

c) That we would have won this game with a healthy Thad Lewis?

Not that I don't have faith in Tuel, obviously...

Nice!!! Where did you find a Tuel jersey and why do you have one?

What is sadder?

tuel.jpg

Please tell me that it doesn't hang in the closet next to your Tyler Thigpen, Levi Brown and Brian Brohm jerseys.

What is sadder?

tuel.jpg

D) he gave his original jersey number (8) to a punter.

Hey, as much as I don't think Tuel will pull it out today, he has actually gotten reps with the first team now as opposed to when he was thrown into the thick of things against Cleveland.

And has gotten more reps in this system than any other QB on the roster overall

Predictions:

• Bills win TOP
  • Alex Smith 350+ yards but 3 picks. No reason to believe this but a lot of YAC
  • Charles gets less then 100 yards, calling it 80 on the ground and 35 in the air
  • Kiko Alonso is ho him and negated by aggressive OL blocking schemes and outside running
  • Bradham plays a bit more then he has.
  • Carpenter has a career day for the Bills
  • Tuel throws 2 TD's. Finds Graham for a large gain.
  • We get some injuries today that we won't be happy about
  • Gilmore gets targeted several times. Draws a flag. Reid stressed attacking him is my bet to draw the flag.
  • Spiller gets less then 50 total yards. Choice may get more total yardage.
  • Fred Jackson is the key to any victory today and is the backbone of Tuel.
  • Tuel gets sacked 4 times, 2 fumbles, 2 ints.
  • Summers gets 2 carries, one for 10+ yards
  • Tim Graham refuses to use the name chief and instead uses native american tribal leader. The Kansas City Native America Tribal Leaders