Bills ranked 23rd most QB-needy team

Rubes

For some reason, the yahoos at Yahoo decided to rank all 32 teams in terms of their neediness at QB for next year's draft.

The Bills are way down there at #23:

23. Buffalo Bills — Hard to imagine them taking a quarterback high anytime soon with Manuel aboard, but the backup options have been up and down.

Interesting notes:

New England* is up there at #16 ("Tom Brady is aging more quickly these days"). New Orleans and Drew Brees is right behind them at #17.

Miami, Buffalo, and the NYets are #22, #23, and #24.

There are actually four teams ahead of Tampa and Mike Glennon.

Discuss...

Edited by Rubes

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks OK to me. Glennon might be a fine starter, and no one needs a QB more than Jax.

Kind of surprised the Skins are 31, though. RGIII and Cousins are a great 1-2, but RGIII's health has to have them a little concerned. I assume that they wouldn't look at a QB because they are already short on high picks from the trade, but are they really more set than SF or Seattle?

For some reason, the yahoos at Yahoo decided to rank all 32 teams in terms of their neediness at QB for next year's draft.

The Bills are way down there at #23:

Interesting notes:

New England* is up there at #16 ("Tom Brady is aging more quickly these days"). New Orleans and Drew Brees is right behind them at #17.

Miami, Buffalo, and the NYets are #22, #23, and #24.

There are actually four teams ahead of Tampa and Mike Glennon.

Discuss...

The four teams above TB are Jax, Cleveland, Vikes, and Eagles. You could really make all of those tied for 2nd and Jax #1. Although, the Eagles should try to trade their #1 pick to the Bills for Pettine's contract.

Why would the Bills NOT draft another QB this year? You can't just take a guy and then exclaim "he's our guy" for

the next three or four years when you're starting with nothing.

:cry:

Some fans see what Jacksonville did and proclaim, "yeah I wanna go the route that makes that a possibility."

Some fans see what Jacksonville did and proclaim, "yeah I wanna go the route that makes that a possibility."

The Bills started the season with 2 rookie QBs, and nobody on the roster that had taken an NFL snap I believe.

I need to see someone play an entire season and make progress before I'm not taking a QB in rounds 1,2 or 3.

The Bills started the season with 2 rookie QBs, and nobody on the roster that had taken an NFL snap I believe.

I need to see someone play an entire season and make progress before I'm not taking a QB in rounds 1,2 or 3.

Won't find any argument with me.

I would like to see the Bills trade down, pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd, and use a 2nd or 3rd on a QB.

I'd like to know where a guy like Gamecocks' Connor Shaw falls in this draft. There may be some good QBs in the third.

I would like to see the Bills trade down, pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd, and use a 2nd or 3rd on a QB.

I'd like to know where a guy like Gamecocks' Connor Shaw falls in this draft. There may be some good QBs in the third.

Hasn't Shaw had some off-the-field issues or am I thinking of someone else?

If we were going to take a QB next year, take best available in round 1. McCarron or Bridgewater, or Johnny Football, or Marcus M, or Boyd. Go big or go home.

The only way the Bills get one of those guys is to draft in the top 10....Jax, Vikes, Cards, Eagles, Texans, Bucs all have NO QB's worthy on their roster....

Hasn't Shaw had some off-the-field issues or am I thinking of someone else?

That was Stephen Garcia. He was a train wreck.

You don't take a QB before round 3 next year. If EJ struggles or can't stay healthy next year, then draft one high. Most rookies are going to struggle. Why draft a guy next year when fans will get on him if he struggles out of the gate as well?

The key is to not give up on a young QB too early. At the same time, you have to admit a mistake and not avoid correcting it. But you don't do that after one year.

We have a quarterback in waiting in EJ. Unless he poops the bed in the games he plays the rest of the season I would think the brain trust would ask the question:

"Why are our various quarterbacks getting sacked, hurried and hurt so often?

and might come up with the answer:

"Because big fast ugly guys are pounding the hell out of them before they can complete passes."

That being the case, I suspect we might finally realize that we have to protect any quarterback who comes in. Dan Darragh and Brett Farvre look pretty much equal when they are lying on their back, iced up on the bench, or on injured reserve.

This team should always be looking to get better. A QB in the 2nd or 3rd round will aid in that progress. Not a knock on EJ, who's already had 2 significant injuries in his short NFL career, but more of an insurance policy.

So is it worth drafting a guy who might just be a backup Qb than a guy who could be an immediate starter at LG or TE?

Why would the Bills NOT draft another QB this year? You can't just take a guy and then exclaim "he's our guy" for

the next three or four years when you're starting with nothing.

:cry:

Pretty simple really...because we already have a young first round pick QB hand picked by this regime who has shown plenty of promise already. How about invest in developing the kid you believe in and draft OL and weapons help? You keep wasting high picks on QB's then how are you supposed to build a team around him? EJ has shownight years more talent and potential than Gabbert, so Jax comparisons are ridiculous.

And FYI to FireChan, you site Jax as the wrong way to do it (draft one QB and give him a couple years before looking for another QB) and yet that's how almost every team has done it every time in all of the history of the NFL. Very few teams have added more than one high round QB in back to back years or same draft in the NFLs history. So it's your same old stuff where you take only one example where it didn't work while ignoring the hundreds where it did. If EJ came out and played like Gabbert did, then fine, but the kid has shown lots of skills, poise, leadership and potential. Keep building the talent around him and give him the BEST opportunity to succeed. And I guarantee 100% bills won't take a QB in first couple rounds. If someone unexpectedly slides to 3rd round, then maybe as a backup guy and potential trade bait in future.

This team should always be looking to get better. A QB in the 2nd or 3rd round will aid in that progress. Not a knock on EJ, who's already had 2 significant injuries in his short NFL career, but more of an insurance policy.

I wouldn't call EJs injuries significant. He didn't break or tear anything. He took a massive shot in the knee that should have done more damage, and yet he didn't even get a tear or a break.

We have a quarterback in waiting in EJ. Unless he poops the bed in the games he plays the rest of the season I would think the brain trust would ask the question:

"Why are our various quarterbacks getting sacked, hurried and hurt so often?

and might come up with the answer:

"Because big fast ugly guys are pounding the hell out of them before they can complete passes."

That being the case, I suspect we might finally realize that we have to protect any quarterback who comes in. Dan Darragh and Brett Farvre look pretty much equal when they are lying on their back, iced up on the bench, or on injured reserve.

Exactly

Edited by Alphadawg7