Starting CBs

1B4IDie

Let me first start my saying I believe Gilmore had an amazing rookie year. For someone to walk in and start from day 1, in a system where he basically was in man coverage on the top receiver on every play as rookie is pretty special. Yes he got burner a few times but he also made some amazing plays that another person wouldn't have been able to make.

At the end of the fourth qtr it looked like they had moved Aaron Williams back to CB with McKelvin at the other outside CB. Anyone else notice that?

I have been one of the biggest McKelvin haters here and I still get nervous when I see the ball coming to the receiver he is covering but he has been playing amazing this season. Aaron Williams looked horrible at CB last year but something really has clicked with him. Maybe its coaching but both McKelvin and Aaron Williams are playing at stud levels.

Do you think we will see a similar set up as we saw at the end of the Dolphins game. Start Williams and McKelvin outside and sub Gilmore into packages?

Gilmore's club hand is obviously effecting his play. It looked like he got picked on quite a bit, especially in the 3rd QTR of the Dolphins game.

While Gilmore is healing I wouldn't mind that set up on Sunday. Especially against a team that will throw to anyone including eligible lineman.

I believe coaching is getting a lot of praise when it comes to our cbs this year, the difference is scheme. We are playing much more one on one and corners close to the line of scrimmage. I hate zone coverage and understand in some cases you have to use it, though we have been more fortunate with the scheme we don't rely on it like years in the past. Williams and Mckelvin I think are playing better because they are allowing them to use there physicality more than in years past, it will be interesting when Gilmore is finally healthy to see the dbs in action!

I believe coaching is getting a lot of praise when it comes to our cbs this year, the difference is scheme. We are playing much more one on one and corners close to the line of scrimmage. I hate zone coverage and understand in some cases you have to use it, though we have been more fortunate with the scheme we don't rely on it like years in the past. Williams and Mckelvin I think are playing better because they are allowing them to use there physicality more than in years past, it will be interesting when Gilmore is finally healthy to see the dbs in action!

Agreed. The scheme makes a big difference. When he doesn't have a club on his hand, Gilmore and mckelvin will make up on of the better starting CB tandems in the nfl. Robey and brooks will be a great nickel/dime duo. Aaron Williams/searcy and duke Williams (yep, he'll be good) will be a great safety threesome......as long as we keep running our scheme. If we can get picks for Byrd, it'll be a bonus. If not, Byrd will be great with Aaron and searcy/Leonard/duke next season. Our secondary is pretty good IMO. It's not the best( but with a good pass rush and a good run d, it will be playoff caliber.

Let me first start my saying I believe Gilmore had an amazing rookie year. For someone to walk in and start from day 1, in a system where he basically was in man coverage on the top receiver on every play as rookie is pretty special. Yes he got burner a few times but he also made some amazing plays that another person wouldn't have been able to make.

At the end of the fourth qtr it looked like they had moved Aaron Williams back to CB with McKelvin at the other outside CB. Anyone else notice that?

I have been one of the biggest McKelvin haters here and I still get nervous when I see the ball coming to the receiver he is covering but he has been playing amazing this season. Aaron Williams looked horrible at CB last year but something really has clicked with him. Maybe its coaching but both McKelvin and Aaron Williams are playing at stud levels.

Do you think we will see a similar set up as we saw at the end of the Dolphins game. Start Williams and McKelvin outside and sub Gilmore into packages?

Gilmore's club hand is obviously effecting his play. It looked like he got picked on quite a bit, especially in the 3rd QTR of the Dolphins game.

While Gilmore is healing I wouldn't mind that set up on Sunday. Especially against a team that will throw to anyone including eligible lineman.

I think a lot of credit should go to their position coach. Once Gilmore heals, he will get him ready,

Agreed. The scheme makes a big difference. When he doesn't have a club on his hand, Gilmore and mckelvin will make up on of the better starting CB tandems in the nfl. Robey and brooks will be a great nickel/dime duo. Aaron Williams/searcy and duke Williams (yep, he'll be good) will be a great safety threesome......as long as we keep running our scheme. If we can get picks for Byrd, it'll be a bonus. If not, Byrd will be great with Aaron and searcy/Leonard/duke next season. Our secondary is pretty good IMO. It's not the best( but with a good pass rush and a good run d, it will be playoff caliber.

We are still weak at the LB position.

I am fine with any CB combo as long as it does not involve Rogers. and yes, I know he is no longer on the team....his ghost haunts me.

He's still on the team. He's just inactive.

Yes, and as a matter of fact on the last Miami drive Williams was manned up on a Miami receiver who blew by him and, had the throw been a good one, would have beaten the Bills.

Aaron has played well but he still scares me as a CB.

Yes, and as a matter of fact on the last Miami drive Williams was manned up on a Miami receiver who blew by him and, had the throw been a good one, would have beaten the Bills.

I think you're referring to the broken play where Tanny heaved it toward the end zone.

I wouldn't say the receiver blew by Aaron, there was a lot going on, it was basically a scramble drill and his receiver got lost super deep in the chaos.

(This was prior to the hail marry at the end) it was Hartline that squeaked free. Hartline isnt fast enough to blow past anyone. He is more crafty like Stevie. Given enough time Hartline squeaks free against the best In the business he is a frustrating cover.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Yeah he deserves credit for fighting and competing for us the way he has but imo he doesn't quite have the natural ability to be a great corner. Can't wait to see him back at safety, he was killing it there.