Will the Bills and Sabres Shuffle Out of Buffalo?

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12070508/1/will-the-bills-and-sabres-shuffle-out-of-buffalo.html

Buffalo Bills and Sabres fans enter every new season knowing that, a decade from now, their teams may not be around for another.

That uncertainty and the sheer amount of years they've faced it have imbued Buffalo sports fans and their diaspora with trademark emotional volatility that fluctuates between cautious passion and reluctant resignation -- with plenty of the latter as the Bills fielded a third-string quarterback and flirted with an early season local television blackout in Week 5 of the National Football League season. After nearly 20 years of witnessing it firsthand, I'm still not accustomed to the ritual torture inflicted on Buffalo fans nor the increasing intensity of those indignities.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While the Bills situation might be a bit cloudy I see no reason to worry about the Sabres with Pegula around.

Definitely agree with respect to the Sabres with all of the money that Pegula is investing in the community with projects like the Harbor Center.

Did any one see the crowd at the Islander arena last night? 5K tops. The Sabres could make more money by just jacking ticket prices. Supply and demand...............as long as they got a season ticket waiting list the Sabres are not charging enough

Did any one see the crowd at the Islander arena last night? 5K tops. The Sabres could make more money by just jacking ticket prices. Supply and demand...............as long as they got a season ticket waiting list the Sabres are not charging enough

a great econ prof statement i remember was "if there is a line, the price is too low."

I could be wrong, but I suspect the sabres are much less of a small market team on an NHL scale than the Bills are on an NFL scale.

A superstar player though could change that. C'mon EJ. Please be that guy!!!

this article came out of Portland, OR. No doubt the business interests in Portland would like to add an NFL & NHL team.

for the record greater portland has 2,289,800 over 6,684 square miles.

Buffalo has 1,135,509 over just 1,567 square miles

Rochester has 1,054,323 over just 2,930 square miles

So not counting our neighbors in Canada, Buffalo & Rochester has as many people as the Portland MSA in 33% less land area.

Outside business interests have long tried to divide Buffalo & Rochester to delegitimize WNY. The answer? Stop letting the national media split Buffalo & Rochester.

Edited by BigCountryBills

this article came out of Portland, OR. No doubt the business interests in Portland would like to add an NFL & NHL team.

for the record greater portland has 2,289,800 over 6,684 square miles.

Buffalo has 1,135,509 over just 1,567 square miles

Rochester has 1,054,323 over just 2,930 square miles

So not counting our neighbors in Canada, Buffalo & Rochester has as many people as the Portland MSA in 33% less land area.

Outside business interests have long tried to divide Buffalo & Rochester to delegitimize WNY. The answer? Stop letting the national media split Buffalo & Rochester.

Good stuff. And some metro areas include places that are like an hour away from the heart of the city. With Southern Canada, Buffalo is damn near a top 5 market.

But 2 questions:

1) do people think about breaking up with someone while they are dating/ married? Then, why worry about this.

2) Don't worry. In 10 years, I plan to be stinkin' rich. The Bills aren't going anywhere.

Isles have always been drawing low crowds for some time... Official said it was something like 10,800 or so. They are kinda lame duck moving to Brooklyn shortly?

"They look over a landscape of Great Lakes and New York cities that once hosted NFL, NBA and NHL teams and were left with nothing, then look at their own town as it clings to what's left. The Bills' lease at Ralph Wilson runs another decade, the Bills' Toronto Series was just extended through 2017 and the Sabres' lease at the first Niagara Center is up in 2026.

It's unlikely that either team would move before then, but that may be a test of faith that Buffalo just doesn't have. This small market has invested a big portion of its heart into the Bills and Sabres, and breaking that heart just keeps paying off for those teams' front offices."

With the article concluding like this, I have to wonder why the author, Jason Notte, bothered to even broach the subject.

It's true we are all tired of hearing about the Bills and Sabres leaving (I'm honestly not worried about the Sabres given the Pegula investment) - this is a good time to mention that the latest Erie County budget includes funding for a new convenetion center study. (yes, another study).

• Using $500,000 in capital costs to study if Erie County needs a new convention center and where it should be located. The study is part of an overall review of Visit Buffalo Niagara and the Buffalo Niagara Convention Center by an advisory committee headed by Hurwitz & Fine Partner Dan Kohane. The study and report is due in early 2015.

Let's not forget that new lease with the Bills also includes funding for a new stadium working group to explore that potential for the construction of a new facility in the future:

• ...this new agreement establishes a New Stadium Working Group that will consist of representatives of the Bills, the County and the State to explore the potential for the construction of a new stadium in the future, along with a dedicated fund for future development and planning.

I think it's critical that the Buffalo media not lose sight of these ongoing studies - and would even make sense if these two committees worked together - as a convention center / stadium combo is likely the only viable way to get this huge project funded.

Edited by buffalobillsfootball

I am pretty psyched to take the G train door to door to a Sabres game, I cannot lie.

I do think it's sad that LI won't have a team though.

They haven't supported their team in years. And it's not really that far away. Plus, I love Brooklyn. That team will be a future powerhouse.