Will the Bills and Sabres Shuffle Out of Buffalo?

a great econ prof statement i remember was "if there is a line, the price is too low."

I could be wrong, but I suspect the sabres are much less of a small market team on an NHL scale than the Bills are on an NFL scale.

A superstar player though could change that. C'mon EJ. Please be that guy!!!

Don't get your hopes up, EJ is not that guy. He was outplayed by a practice squad guy last week. EJ isn't going to do anything for this team except spend time on IR.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get your hopes up, EJ is not that guy. He was outplayed by a practice squad guy last week. EJ isn't going to do anything for this team except spend time on IR.

I have had enough of your bashing EJ. You have made you point in several post. If you do not think he is the guy so be it. If you continue to do it I will know you are noth but a troll.

In my opinion.

I do think it's sad that LI won't have a team though.

Doesn't the song go:

"This land is your land This land is my land

From California to the New York island;

From the red wood forest to the Gulf Stream waters

This land was made for you and Me..."

Anyway, along w/Queens, last time I checked, Brooklyn is on the New York Island (Long Island).

:-P

I guess you mean Nassau County won't have a team.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

this article came out of Portland, OR. No doubt the business interests in Portland would like to add an NFL & NHL team.

for the record greater portland has 2,289,800 over 6,684 square miles.

Buffalo has 1,135,509 over just 1,567 square miles

Rochester has 1,054,323 over just 2,930 square miles

So not counting our neighbors in Canada, Buffalo & Rochester has as many people as the Portland MSA in 33% less land area.

Outside business interests have long tried to divide Buffalo & Rochester to delegitimize WNY. The answer? Stop letting the national media split Buffalo & Rochester.

While what you say is true, remember........this "article" was written by "experts" who have an agenda and therefore should be treated as such. Articles like this come out on a regular basis and don't mean very much at all.

While it's nice fodder for discussion boards, it doesn't have any value beyond that.

Can we please put an end to these threads? Its been mentioned a million times over and over again and nobody knows...

Seriously...

Stop, its annoying

Is it as annoying as the apostrophe police?

Seriously though, the thread title is a pretty obvious cue to those who want to avoid the discussion. Seriously.

The Bills are currently owned free and clear by Ralph Wilson, and have no debt.

With no debt and their current (limited) revenue streams, they can survive in today's NFL.

When Ralph passes in the near future, any new owner will have substansial debt.

With a new owner, substansial debt, and their current (limited) revenue streams, they cannot survive in today's NFL.

That is what we are all scared about.

The Bills are currently owned free and clear by Ralph Wilson, and have no debt.

With no debt and their current (limited) revenue streams, they can survive in today's NFL.

When Ralph passes in the near future, any new owner will have substansial debt.

With a new owner, substansial debt, and their current (limited) revenue streams, they cannot survive in today's NFL.

That is what we are all scared about.

Flawed economic reasoning. If they could increase their revenues by relocating, why would they wait until they're saddled with debt before they relocate, as opposed to relocating now?

Did any one see the crowd at the Islander arena last night? 5K tops. The Sabres could make more money by just jacking ticket prices. Supply and demand...............as long as they got a season ticket waiting list the Sabres are not charging enough

Look at stubhub - the Sabres are overcharging this year.

Food for thought from a 12/16/12 Toronto Sun article:

http://www.torontosu...t-for-the-bills

When Rogers signed its first five-year deal with the Bills, a Rogers person told me what their ultimate game plan was: In his words, they had basically taken out a five-year life insurance policy on owner Wilson’s life. He was 89 at the time. He’s 94 now. Wilson is alive: It was Ted Rogers who passed away part-way through this arrangement.

Things obviously didn't turn out the way the Rogers corporate people hoped with respect to ticket sales and fan turnout, and Ted Rogers is dead, yet they renewed, despite knowing about the 7 year lease extension in Buffalo? Makes me wonder what their "game plan" is now, and why.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

Food for thought from a 12/16/12 Toronto Sun article:

http://www.torontosu...t-for-the-bills

Things obviously didn't turn out the way the Rogers corporate people hoped with respect to ticket sales and fan turnout, and Ted Rogers is dead, yet they renewed, despite knowing about the 7 year lease extension in Buffalo? Makes me wonder what their "game plan" is now, and why.

You've been reading between the lines on the Toronto arraignment for a long time. I don't think there's much there given the complexity of the owners equity rule, and the fact that NFL ownership must be domestic.

I've read a lot of theories on the topic, from the obvious Galisano & Pegula rumors, to the obscure, that Mr. Wilson sold off equity in the team in a deal brokered by Sal Galatioto, & financed by JP Morgan pe.

The reality is no one knows what will happen. Fundamentally this is what will occur upon Wilson's death; his estate will be divided. Wilson's wife is 28 years his minor, so any 100% transfer is unlikely given Wilson's 2 surviving children are nearly their same age.

Btw it's Ralph's 95th birthday this week.

. . . I don't think there's much there given . . . the fact that NFL ownership must be domestic.

I haven't seen that restriction, although the NFL Bylaws document is pretty dense and I've only read parts of it. If such a restriction existed, that's where I would expect to find it.

Any link or other source re the "domestic" requirement? Just curious.

Hope Ralph has a nice birthday - - he can't have many left at his age.

You've been reading between the lines on the Toronto arraignment for a long time. I don't think there's much there given the complexity of the owners equity rule, and the fact that NFL ownership must be domestic.

The NFL is actively marketing the game in Europe so it would not be a stretch for them to someday in the not to distant future try and have a team or two in Europe. In my opinion it is unlikely the team owner(s) would be Americans in that case.

This has been talk and talk and talk and talked about a million times. DO WE HAVE TO REHASH THIS EVERY FEW MONTHS?

Talk about other teams but, let's not re hash Buffalo.

We're not only re-hashing it, we're re-hashing it with THE STREET.COM, written by guy that lives in the sports mecca of the USA, Portland ORE...????

He should be more worried about Mt. Hood erupting than the future of the Bills & Sabres!

Speculating and feeling dread about the Buffalo Bills post-Ralph Wilson in very valid.

However, any questioning regarding the Sabres' status in Buffalo and the NHL is a complete joke and shows a complete lack of familiarity with Sabres' Ownership, the NHL, and the region as a hockey market.

The NFL is actively marketing the game in Europe so it would not be a stretch for them to someday in the not to distant future try and have a team or two in Europe. In my opinion it is unlikely the team owner(s) would be Americans in that case.

There is absolutelty zero chance that American football could succeed in Europe. Europe has its own football (soccer) and it is like a religion over there. They laugh at American football.

I haven't seen that restriction, although the NFL Bylaws document is pretty dense and I've only read parts of it. If such a restriction existed, that's where I would expect to find it.

Any link or other source re the "domestic" requirement? Just curious.

Hope Ralph has a nice birthday - - he can't have many left at his age.

Khan (Jaguars) owner came to the US at age 16 & is now a citizen. Outside of Khan, I suppose an owner could have dual citizenship. I read this somewhere in a John Clayton column. I'm trying to find it in the archives. Will locate & post.

Edited by BigCountryBills

Khan (Jaguars) owner came to the US at age 16 & is now a citizen. Outside of Khan, I suppose an owner could have dual citizenship. I read this somewhere in a John Clayton column. I'm trying to find it in the archives. Will locate & post.

Either way, thanks for looking. It doesn't affect the NFL one way or the other, but there are or have been foreign owners of major league baseball and NBA teams:

http://www.nytimes.c...all/24nets.html (New Jersey Nets)

http://mynorthwest.c...chi-passes-away (Seattle Mariners)

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead