WGR NHL v NFL

WIDE LEFT

As someone who grew up playing and loving hockey, I just can't get into like I used to. Maybe it's the season's too long. Or they have no real personalities (mostly good guys who are just boring). Plus, how do you breakdown 1 game of an 82 game season? The Sabres should shoot more?

Face it, football is just much, much more interesting. We are a great hockey city and the playoffs are amazing. But nothing makes me change what I'm listening to faster than Sabres' talk.

They continue to rehash the same tired talking points over and over again.. Myers, Darcy, and should they trade Miller and Vanek.

The Sabres are going to be one of the worst teams in the league again this season... Not unlike the Bills but still Football season is short and they are already heavy in to the Sabres coverage.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They continue to rehash the same tired talking points over and over again.. EJ, Marrone, Hackett, and should they trade Byrd.

The Bills are going to be one of the worst teams in the league again this season... Not unlike the Sabres but still Football is talked about all year long and they were heavy in to the Bills coverage starting in July.

They focus on the Bills on Mondays, Fridays, and exclusively all Sunday morning

16 out of 52 weeks a year, the rest of the time they talk Sabres. One hour in on a Friday, still no mention of the Bills game on Sunday. Two hours in, 15 minutes of Bills talk. Edited by ET1062

This is hilarious. I'm not listening but I can only imagine. You'd think the last day they're on before a football game in 2 days, and you'd think that it's March. Oh, these guys are good. Scary good.

The other thing is too if the BIlls started out as bad as the Sabres are right(& make no mistake about it the Bills are nowhere close to being as much of a mess as the Sabres are) they would be killing them. Because it is the Sabres they always have an excuse. All they are are Sabres apologists. What is it now 5 games in & they are averaging under a goal a game. That would be like the Bills scoring 1 td in the first 3 games.

16 out of 52 weeks a year, the rest of the time they talk Sabres. One hour in on a Friday, still no mention of the Bills game on Sunday. Two hours in, 15 minutes of Bills talk.

Factually incorrect. They Bills were the main topic of conversation before the draft and throughout the summer, including doing their broadcasts from St John Fisher.

And of course they talked about the Sabres this morning, they just played last night. Just as the talk on Monday will be about the Bills game.

The other thing is too if the BIlls started out as bad as the Sabres are right(& make no mistake about it the Bills are nowhere close to being as much of a mess as the Sabres are) they would be killing them. Because it is the Sabres they always have an excuse. All they are are Sabres apologists. What is it now 5 games in & they are averaging under a goal a game. That would be like the Bills scoring 1 td in the first 3 games.

yup.

You obviously don't listen to the morning show, or Shcoop & Bulldog...they have been killing the Sabres pretty well. It isn't Sylvesters' style, and he is, a Buffalo Sabres employee. He will mildly criticize them. He will let his guests (Paul Hamilton comes to mind) be critical of the Sabres. You guys all seem to have pretty selective hearing...you say you don't listen, or won't listen, but then have plenty of commentary about what they do. I agree, GR could be better, but they have a pretty thankless task of covering two, curtrently, miserable franchises. I am not sure what you all expect from them.

You obviously don't listen to the morning show, or Shcoop & Bulldog...they have been killing the Sabres pretty well. It isn't Sylvesters' style, and he is, a Buffalo Sabres employee. He will mildly criticize them. He will let his guests (Paul Hamilton comes to mind) be critical of the Sabres. You guys all seem to have pretty selective hearing...you say you don't listen, or won't listen, but then have plenty of commentary about what they do. I agree, GR could be better, but they have a pretty thankless task of covering two, curtrently, miserable franchises. I am not sure what you all expect from them.

Yeah I listened to Simon & White a few days ago & seemed like they were making excuses for them. That whole station is a ton tougher on the Bills then they are on the Sabres. At least the Bills are competitive & actually have guys on the roster that belong in the league.

The morning show guys are great, and I like Sal Cappacio, but Schopp does in fact hate football and I really can't stand listening to him sometimes. I feel like he takes unfavorable opinions just for the sake of it. Bulldog is usually good, but yes I too can't stand hockey talk in the middle of October on the "flagship" station for the Bills.

I am not sure what you all expect from them.

If don't mind them covering the Sabres at certain times. I like the Sabres too, but I don't pay any attention to them whatsoever during football season. I know a lot of football guys who are the same way. Sabres will always be number 2 on my list unless the Bills ever leave town. As long as it is football season I won't listen to a show about hockey period. I just don't care about it enough when football is in season.

My biggest beef with WGR is with the show that is on at 3pm weekdays because that is the only time it is convenient for me to tune in. I have heard the John Murphy show at night before and it was terrific. I have no beef with that show. Regardless of that though, I really only try to listen to WGR on the ride home from work which is usually in that 3pm, 4pm, 5pm-ish time slot.

I am a creature of habit. On my ride home from work I turn on the radio. It is football season. So I try to catch up on what is happening with the Bills by tuning in WGR. What sucks is that you never know what kind of show you are going to get in that 3PM time slot. Once in a while, you get a good show where they are covering something interesting about the Bills. But often times, they start talking about the Sabres or else they start acting immature or something else annoying. I shake my head in disgust and change the station.

I expect more professionalism personally. I would prefer if the sports guys didn't act like my nine year old nephew who runs around his house farting and giggling about it. It is cute when a kid does it. Heck it is funny when an adult does it the first couple times. But, it gets old quick when every time you turn the show on they are doing it. (3pm show in particular I am talking about) If their jobs are so boring that they have to act silly when they come to work then maybe WGR should have an ad on Monster.com looking for a professional sports talk show host. It is actually possible to be entertaining without acting like you are nine years old. Well, maybe it isn't possible for the 3pm "talent".

I expect "professional" people who breakdown football and analyze it to know what they are talking about or to, at bare minimum, "like" the sport of football.

I would like better coverage of the Bills during football season. That means anything related to the Bills is worth discussing as far as I am concerned. Just don't mix in hockey in the same time slot as football. Either do hockey or do football. I think you have way more football fans in Buffalo, especially during football season.

So if I was running the station, I would dedicate certain time slots to either football every day or hockey every day with a predominance toward football. That way my listeners would know that they can expect football talk at a certain time every day and hockey talk at a certain time every day. I don't think that is too much to ask for.

When they take their ten minute news breaks they can mix the two, but the primary shows should be predictably dedicated to either hockey or football so we know what to expect.

I would be as loyal listener as hell if I knew that I could get good Buffalo Bills and AFC East football analysis on the radio during my ride home from work everyday. That would be ideal in my opinion. Obviously you can't have everything you want. But that is the only way WGR will earn my attention on a daily basis for any length of time during football season. Maybe they don't want listeners like me. I am a forty-something Bills season ticket holding Western NY'er who is the head of his household. Maybe they have other bigger audiences to cater to. I don't know. I am not in the radio business. But that is my take on it.

Edited by PolishDave

If don't mind them covering the Sabres at certain times. I like the Sabres too, but I don't pay any attention to them whatsoever during football season. I know a lot of football guys who are the same way. Sabres will always be number 2 on my list unless the Bills ever leave town. As long as it is football season I won't listen to a show about hockey period. I just don't care about it enough when football is in season.

My biggest beef with WGR is with the show that is on at 3pm weekdays because that is the only time it is convenient for me to tune in. I have heard the John Murphy show at night before and it was terrific. I have no beef with that show. Regardless of that though, I really only try to listen to WGR on the ride home from work which is usually in that 3pm, 4pm, 5pm-ish time slot.

I am a creature of habit. On my ride home from work I turn on the radio. It is football season. So I try to catch up on what is happening with the Bills by tuning in WGR. What sucks is that you never know what kind of show you are going to get in that 3PM time slot. Once in a while, you get a good show where they are covering something interesting about the Bills. But often times, they start talking about the Sabres or else they start acting immature or something else annoying. I shake my head in disgust and change the station.

I expect more professionalism personally. I would prefer if the sports guys didn't act like my nine year old nephew who runs around his house farting and giggling about it. It is cute when a kid does it. Heck it is funny when an adult does it the first couple times. But, it gets old quick when every time you turn the show on they are doing it. (3pm show in particular I am talking about) If their jobs are so boring that they have to act silly when they come to work then maybe WGR should have an ad on Monster.com looking for a professional sports talk show host. It is actually possible to be entertaining without acting like you are nine years old. Well, maybe it isn't possible for the 3pm "talent".

I expect "professional" people who breakdown football and analyze it to know what they are talking about or to, at bare minimum, "like" the sport of football.

I would like better coverage of the Bills during football season. That means anything related to the Bills is worth discussing as far as I am concerned. Just don't mix in hockey in the same time slot as football. Either do hockey or do football. I think you have way more football fans in Buffalo, especially during football season.

So if I was running the station, I would dedicate certain time slots to either football every day or hockey every day with a predominance toward football. That way my listeners would know that they can expect football talk at a certain time every day and hockey talk at a certain time every day. I don't think that is too much to ask for.

When they take their ten minute news breaks they can mix the two, but the primary shows should be predictably dedicated to either hockey or football so we know what to expect.

I would be as loyal listener as hell if I knew that I could get good Buffalo Bills and AFC East football analysis on the radio during my ride home from work everyday. That would be ideal in my opinion. Obviously you can't have everything you want. But that is the only way WGR will earn my attention on a daily basis for any length of time during football season. Maybe they don't want listeners like me. I am a forty-something Bills season ticket holding Western NY'er who is the head of his household. Maybe they have other bigger audiences to cater to. I don't know. I am not in the radio business. But that is my take on it.

Normally I blow past really long posts (iPhone is killing my attention span!) but this is an excellent post. You should forward it to the powers that be at WGR.