Did the Bills make a gaffe choosing Manuel over Smith?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am guessing the OP posted this query after watching the Falcons-Jests. Don't be fooled; there are several reasons why ATL is 1-4....2 of them are poor pass rush and weak secondary. Both were on display in spades last night. They made Geno look All-World.

Way to small of a sample size to ask this question, IMO....

EJ without a doubt. Geno gives a vibe like the is a ticking time bomb. Something is going to set him off. When EJ gets back, I would like to see them slow the Offense down so he can get into a better passing rhythm. We will see soon enough who made the best and wisest choice.

Geno looks way better than EJ.

The main thing that makes him look better is his ability to stay upright. The evidence we have suggests that EJ has a pair of glass knees.

I look forward to the day when these words are proved untrue. Unfortunately, today is not that day.

Geno has been more accurate thus far. Manuel a better leader, game prepper, student of the game.

Remember the kid missed significant training camp time with that surgery. He needs reps and real game experience. My biggest worry is accuracy, as he's had some disturbingly errant throws, some of them when he had time and his feet were set and he had a passing lane.

The nice thing about questions like the OP posed here is that time will tell what the answer is. If EJ pans out like we all hope, and Goodwin gets healthy and does what I think he will, then this draft of EJ, woods, kiko and goodwin will be the best draft we've had in decades.

after seeing geno absolutely ball out on monday night and to have EJ already battling a second major leg injury in his very short career makes it sure seem like one team got it right and one team got it wrong

although its not realistic, if you could somehow trade EJ for Geno today would, would you do it?

Yep week 3. A long time ago, I know. But I have an amazing memory.

Yep, they're 3-2. We're 2-3. Plus that week 3 thing.

No but they did play in ancient times. Also known as week 3

We could. But...week 3? Seriously. Where were you week 3?

I'd submit that EJ is 2 - 2. Tuel lost the game vs. The Browns.

after seeing geno absolutely ball out on monday night and to have EJ already battling a second major leg injury in his very short career makes it sure seem like one team got it right and one team got it wrong

although its not realistic, if you could somehow trade EJ for Geno today would, would you do it?

Er, how exactly do you define "major leg injury"? Something that keeps one out 2 weeks of preseason and doesn't cause a missed game is usually not so termed.

Can we please at least consider all the games that have been played so far?

I'd submit that EJ is 2 - 2. Tuel lost the game vs. The Browns.

QB don't have W-L records. Teams have W-L records. EJ brought his injury on by not running out of bounds or sliding, and that hurt the team. He doesn't get a mulligan on this.

No, I wouldn't. Manuel needs to do several things better: set his feet when he throws, get down or OOB before contact, take a bit more time with his progressions...He can fix those things. Don't know whether he will, but he can. I like his arm, size, strength, personality, leadership ability and desire more than what I know of the other guy.

We'll find out in 3 years. To Answer your question...

I think you are living in the past. In today's NFL, teams don't get three years to figure out whether their QB sucks or not. In many cases it is clear, one way or the other, in the first year. I am not denying that it's too early to tell with EJ (or Geno), but if EJ performs poorly after he returns to the lineup, you had better believe the Bills will be looking at drafting a QB in the first couple rounds of this QB-loaded draft. Or at least they should.

I just re watched all the throws EJ made against the Patriots and if I can see that EJ consistently then he has my vote.

Kudos to you for having the kohones to revisit your opinion. I think you will see that EJ consistently...the team knew he would take some refining when they selected him. He's a smart kid who works hard, so I expect to see a significant jump between years 1 and 2. That said, he's shown quite a few good things already.

No, I wouldn't. Manuel needs to do several things better: set his feet when he throws, get down or OOB before contact, take a bit more time with his progressions...He can fix those things. Don't know whether he will, but he can. I like his arm, size, strength, personality, leadership ability and desire more than what I know of the other guy.

Nailed it.

I think you are living in the past. In today's NFL, teams don't get three years to figure out whether their QB sucks or not. In many cases it is clear, one way or the other, in the first year. I am not denying that it's too early to tell with EJ (or Geno), but if EJ performs poorly after he returns to the lineup, you had better believe the Bills will be looking at drafting a QB in the first couple rounds of this QB-loaded draft. Or at least they should.

I half agree in that you don't get 3 years anymore. I don't think, however, that one season (part of which is lost to injury) is enough either. He'll get at least the rest of this season and next season as well.

I'm not sure what that means.

Good QB and great QB often take 3 years to develop. Peyton Manning is probably one of the best QB ever drafted, go look up his early stats.

Steve Young, Brady, Rodgers, Kaepernick, all QB who sat and learned before playing.

So if a team in today's NFL can't wait 3 years, what do you suggest they do? Trade or cut a developing QB after 1 year or 2 years and potentially, watch him grow up and work for someone else? Use the 1st round draft pick on a QB every other year until they get one who can play very well his first season (rare)? Make a habit of picking up 2nd or 3rd year QB other teams are too impatient to develop?

It's a point that you can't give a QB (Bradford *cough* Stafford) forever, but if you want a good QB you gotta give a guy time. Draft someone high to sit behind him if you like.

no

at first i thought ej was better

but now it seems like geno is better

So you're going to change your opinion every game? The previous week, Geno didn't look too good. Next week if he looks bad again, you'll be all up for EJ?

I know what shoes you wear with that suit....flip flops!

Edited by Hopeful