Byrd Full Participant at practice today

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is more. It is a player holding his breath while his agent sits behind his desk waiting for his next check to come in. It will happen again unless the Bills make the right business decision which in this case if franchise him again. If not, you and I will be having this exact conversation on another player in a couple years.

I wanted to be reply 100...

Anyway. Yeah. It is business before football for the agents, organization and agent. But the organization has to field a team. The player has to perform on that team while the agent only has to perform for his player. Football comes from the team, not the player.

A high end deal? At an average salary of $7.6m? Year two of the tag is still a bargain for them no matter how you slice it.

GO BILLS!!!

From a Bills' business model standpoint you have a point. But from building a contending team it makes no sense. In his third year he will be a free agent who will be walking out the door. You will be having a top tier player in his prime leaving the franchise when it (hopefullly) will be in a better position to be a serious team. This churning of players to slice off payroll is the same approach that has made this franchise irrelevant for the past generation. The wider context in the Byrd and Levitre contract situation is that the Bills are dramatically under the cap.

The process of developing players only to see them leave is like walking up a down escalator moving at a faster pace than the clueless person walking up. Where does that get you? The argument being made that paying a talent a little more than he is worth makes little sense for a franchise that has a history of overpaying lesser talented players. Kelsay, Dockery, Langston Walker etc etc. The Bills over payed for Mario Williams. But at least they got a good player who can make plays.

The Bills are over $20 M under the cap. They let Levitre leave without bothering to negotiate with him and in the end Byrd is going to be leaving. When a team has had losing records in 10 out of its last 11 seasons and has been out of the playoffs for 13 consecutive years and still counting how about showing some desire that you want to turn things around. Where is the urgency? When your owner is 94 yrs old what is the point of continuing to squeeze the franchise to make an additional nickel or two?

It is more. It is a player holding his breath while his agent sits behind his desk waiting for his next check to come in. It will happen again unless the Bills make the right business decision which in this case if franchise him again. If not, you and I will be having this exact conversation on another player in a couple years.

Byrd is no one's stooge. He knew what was in store for him right from the beginning. Any player who has been in the league for a few years has a good understanding of the business side of the NFL. The bus Parker is driving is the bus that Byrd consented to ride on.

Edited by JohnC

From a Bills' business model standpoint you have a point. But from building a contending team it makes no sense. In his third year he will be a free agent who will be walking out the door. You will be having a top tier player in his prime leaving the franchise when it (hopefullly) will be in a better position to be a serious team. This churning of players to slice off payroll is the same approach that has made this franchise irrelevant for the past generation. The wider context in the Byrd and Levitre contract situation is that the Bills are dramatically under the cap.

The process of developing players only to see them leave is like walking up a down escalator moving at a faster pace than the clueless person walking up. Where does that get you? The argument being made that paying a talent a little more than he is worth makes little sense for a franchise that has a history of overpaying lesser talented players. Kelsay, Dockery, Langston Walker etc etc. The Bills over payed for Mario Williams. But at least they got a good player who can make plays.

The Bills are over $20 M under the cap. They let Levitre leave without bothering to negotiate with him and in the end Byrd is going to be leaving. When a team has had losing records in 10 out of its last 11 seasons and has been out of the playoffs for 13 consecutive years and still counting how about showing some desire that you want to turn things around. Where is the urgency? When your owner is 94 yrs old what is the point of continuing to squeeze the franchise to make an additional nickel or two?

I think we've been down this road together before. No sense rehashing it. Except to say that while casual fans may insist on making a link between available cap space and signing popular players they would rather have seen retained, the two have no relevance to each other.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

If you are right, and if the team has little or nothing to show at the time of his departure then Russ Brandon did not do his job.

How Russ Brandon handles this situation (thus far, very well, IMO) will be more significant than where Byrd ends up.

Byrd is no one's stooge. He knew what was in store for him right from the beginning. Any player who has been in the league for a few years has a good understanding of the business side of the NFL. The bus Parker is driving is the bus that Byrd consented to ride on.

I didn't say he was a stooge. Where did that come from? I'm saying he's a petulant child holding his breath until mommy gives in. The Bills are mommy and they have a decision to make. Give in or stand their ground. Hopefully they stand their ground, they do after all own the road Parker is driving on.

At this point, it is in the immediate interest of both Byrd and the team for him to play and play well. That is, the interest in making this season a success. If it leads to them reaching agreement on a long-term deal when the season is over, so much the better. But since they are not allowed to strike a deal until the season is over, it is a good idea for all to focus on the next four months.

You don't think he's been dogging it, yet you admit that he's using a national stand alone game to showcase his talents? Those 2 things don't go together so well. He's been dogging it, no question in my mind. I've said it 137 times before and I'll say it again...money be damned...franchise his butt on the first day that the designation can be made and let the chips fall where they may. Let Eugene and Jairus chew on that for another season.

Yeah, because that is the way to build a winning franchise, through petulance and spite. And because you have said it 137 times, that must make it true. Who needs facts, evidence or proof when you have some guy on a web site saying something 137 times? That would really, really show Jairus wouldn't it? Sticking him with a 20% raise and another years vacation while he then hits it huge the year after, all the while using up a roster spot. That would be a total win for the Bills and totally screw Byrd. Brilliant thinking.

At this point, it is in the immediate interest of both Byrd and the team for him to play and play well. That is, the interest in making this season a success. If it leads to them reaching agreement on a long-term deal when the season is over, so much the better. But since they are not allowed to strike a deal until the season is over, it is a good idea for all to focus on the next four months.

I hope you are right but I am not sure how it is in Byrd's interest to risk injury. His health is his most valuable asset and risking it now and jeopardizing what eventually will be a huge pay day may not make much sense to him. If he plays, is he really likely to play any better than already has? I don't think so. His value has been proven. What does he gain by playing this year? The bills wouldn't give him the deal he wants this year, why would they next year? What is going to happen that would get the team to suddenly change their minds on Byrd?

I am afraid that the two sides have pretty much made up their minds. The Bills don't want him at the price it will take to keep him so they are going to try and get what they can from him at the price they want until they no longer can. And Byrd evidently feels that the price he is asking is fair and he isn't going to back down. He is justifiably concerned that an injury at this point in his career, with no long term deal to protect him, would be an absolute disaster. The Bills have seen all they need to see of what Byrd brings to the table. They have decided that he just isn't good enough for the money he is asking. Nothing Byrd can do this year on the field or off is going to change that.

Yeah, because that is the way to build a winning franchise, through petulance and spite. And because you have said it 137 times, that must make it true. Who needs facts, evidence or proof when you have some guy on a web site saying something 137 times? That would really, really show Jairus wouldn't it? Sticking him with a 20% raise and another years vacation while he then hits it huge the year after, all the while using up a roster spot. That would be a total win for the Bills and totally screw Byrd. Brilliant thinking.

If the front office sticks to their guns and they do franchise Byrd again, at some point Parker has overplayed his hand. Is Jairus really going to hit it big in free agency 2015, after sitting out 2 years? Byrd and Parker really don't have any leverage here... either Byrd agrees to whatever the Bills are offering in regard to a long term deal or Byrd has to get in and play, and play well while he is under the tag. Nobody is paying top 3 safety money to a guy in 2015 who is pointing to his 2012 pro bowl and has sat out for 2 years due to PF.

He is not going to be franchised again. From an organizational standpoint it would make no financial sense. If they franchise him again then it is a recognition that they should have given him the contract he wanted from the beginning.

The injury he has is a tough injury to get over. I realize that my view on this issue is a minority view but I agree with him that he shouldn't play until he is ready to play. Most people on the outside think he is faking it. What one hasn't heard so far is the people within the organization complaining that he isn't doing everything he needs to do with respect to treatment and his limited/cautious practice routine.

Byrd is not off on his own sending in reports on his condition. He is working with the training staff within the organization and doing everything he can to get ready to play. Even Russ Brandon has publicly stated that he regularly sees Byrd and has noted that he is diligently doing everything he can to get better and get back into the action. Not only is it in Byrd's self-interest to get healthy but it is also in the team's interest for him not to prematurely get back on to the field.

Byrd is known to be a quality and responsible person by everyone who has dealt with him. The team wouldn't have franchised him if they thought he was the type of person who would act out of spite. Byrd is acting prudently to protect his interest in this situation. He is a strong enough and smart enough person to not allow the assaults on his integrity prevent him from doing the right thing for himself.

First, it makes total sense to franchise him again if you ever want ANY reasonable compensation for losing him. Otherwise, he simply walks to his next destination. So, if you want at least a second or a third round 2014 pick for this Tyrd, you have to franchise him first, and then start calling around. Of course, anyone who trades for him will have to believe they can meet their demands, or at least offer them something they are willing to sign. I'm not so sure there will be such a huge scramble to sign the guy myself. If nothing else, look at Tampa Bay, who signed Gholston and Revis to HUGE money. How's that working out for them so far?

Also, you are completely WRONG that tagging him again would be tantamount to the team admitting they should have paid him what they were demanding in the first place. There is a huge difference between paying a salary on yearly basis, with no obligation year to year versus giving the guy tens of millions in guaranteed money UP FRONT, which changes the whole dynamic of the deal.

Finally, doing the right thing for himself is not so admirable in a team game situation. It is the selfish thing to do for sure. I wonder how many guys in the locker room feel that is the right to do: to look our for yourself first, while all of the other guys are playing hurt for the team and for each other.

Edited by BuffaloBob

I think Byrd and his entourage realizes he needs to get on the field and prove he is as good as he thinks he is. If not, he will not have the big pay day he envisions. Whether the Bills keep him or not, he is not looking too good sitting on the sidelines. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If the front office sticks to their guns and they do franchise Byrd again, at some point Parker has overplayed his hand. Is Jairus really going to hit it big in free agency 2015, after sitting out 2 years? Byrd and Parker really don't have any leverage here... either Byrd agrees to whatever the Bills are offering in regard to a long term deal or Byrd has to get in and play, and play well while he is under the tag. Nobody is paying top 3 safety money to a guy in 2015 who is pointing to his 2012 pro bowl and has sat out for 2 years due to PF.

Parker has overplayed his hand already. And his client continues to lose credibility around the league.

GO BILLS!!!

if he doesn't want to be here- trade him for Levitre. But I think Byrd will play in the next two weeks, have a huge year with many interceptions, and our D will be much better by end of year. I predict playoffs if we can stay healthy, and we get back a healthy Byrd and Gilmore

That's BS. First, you are ASSUMING that unless you're Levitre's agent. I'm guessing you aren't. Secondly, all reports were that Levitre was NOT going to sign anything until he could see what he could get on the open market, which was a ridiculous amount of money for a guard. So if you mean that the Bill refused to negotiate by foregoing any attempt to top what was already a ridiculous offer, then OK, sure, they didn't bother to negotiate with him.

As for Byrd, he had a chance to sign what was no doubt a handsome offer to remain a Bill, get lot's of upfront money and security, but because it wasn't TOP money (no way you can take $35 Million when your agent tells you should get $40!)so of course now he's been disrespected and the Bills failed to show him any love or commitment. Whatever!

And just because the Bills are under the cap right now doesn't mean they will be moving forward, as future commitments come into play as well as the need to sign other players long-term. They tried to get Carrington signed up long-term, and got nowhere with Parker there either. And I bet Alex is wishing he had signed a nice extension NOW! Once again, Parker playing the zero sum "no dollar left on the table" game for his client and overplaying his hand when NOT in the nest interest of his client.

I am more an more convinced the reason Jerry Jones and other GM's kiss Parker's azz they way they do in public is that they are intimidated by him and don't trouble down the road with him.

I would be happy the Bills never signed or drafted another player that hires Parker, and I if they pick him up mid-stream, I would simply trade him for whatever I could get as soon as such a transaction was expedient.

Edited by BuffaloBob

They need to franchise him again, and then tell him and Parker to go find their deal with a team willing to give the Bills at least a second round pick. If they can't do that, then he stays another year.

I'm not so sure he's going to get much more than the Bills offered him anyway. I mean, first of all, he is certainly giving every GM leverage with his PF problem. Secondly, look at the Buccaneers right now. They paid Gholson huge money AND Revis, and how is that working out? How many wins has that translated to, and how has that impacted their cap situation and their ability to build a team going forward?

if he doesn't want to be here- trade him for Levitre.

This is a joke right?

if he doesn't want to be here- trade him for Levitre. But I think Byrd will play in the next two weeks, have a huge year with many interceptions, and our D will be much better by end of year. I predict playoffs if we can stay healthy, and we get back a healthy Byrd and Gilmore

Pete, my good friend, YE OLE is right with you here. It does sound like Byrd is close to coming back. And if our secondary is lining up with Gilmore, McKelvin, Byrd, and Williams... this defense is really going to get nasty. And with all the talk about Pettine's schemes, our secondary, and the force of nature that is Kiko Alonso... YE OLE would like to give a tip of the hat to Manny Lawson. Have you gents been watching this character? He will go stride for stride with WR's down field too!

Those who want to keep saying that Byrd should not risk injury are missing the point that he has to show he is able to play at a high level if he wants that big paycheck down the road. Of course it is a risk, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. The question is only when he decides he is well enough to play. Sitting out the whole season, out of petulance or fear of injury, is a terrible negotiating gambit. Just as it makes no sense for the Bills to pay a guaranteed salary of $7 million and not play the guy when he is ready and able to play. I repeat, this is all independent of the question of whether the two sides can or will reach a deal for next year or the long term. Byrd will play eventually, and want to look good, and the Bills will want to get the best they can out of him for as long he is on the team. Both sides know that.