Hackett not giving Manuel "easy throws" a little frustrating

Big Turk

Jets were playing press man most of the day, and we could have given Manuel some easy wide open throws by using stack and bunch formations that would create natural picks leaving dudes wide open for a period of time...frustrating we didn't take advantage of that...

For instance lining up two players close together and then a third off set to their left(on the right side of the field) you could easily have those two players run hard inside slants and have the third inside guy loop around them to the flat or run a flat wheel route, leaving his defender to fight through 4 players to try and get to him...

Something Gailey was a mastermind at using...Hackett would be wise to look at Gailey's play designs for getting people wide open cause he was brilliant at it...

So frustrating to watch the Denver-Oakland game and see exactly that going on even tho Peyton Manning hardly needs it...but time after time they ran bunch/picks to get the underneath throws wide open...Patriots often use this as well very successfully and at times illegally

Easy throws and completions are never a bad thing Nathaniel

Edited by matter2003

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jets were playing press man most of the day, and we could have given Manuel some easy wide open throws by using stack and bunch formations that would create natural picks leaving dudes wide open for a period of time...frustrating we didn't take advantage of that...

For instance lining up two players close together and then a third off set to their left(on the right side of the field) you could easily have those two players run hard inside slants and have the third inside guy loop around them to the flat or run a flat wheel route, leaving his defender to fight through 4 players to try and get to him...

Something Gailey was a mastermind at using...Hackett would be wise to look at Gailey's play designs for getting people wide open cause he was brilliant at it...

So frustrating to watch the Denver-Oakland game and see exactly that going on even tho Peyton Manning hardly needs it...but time after time they ran bunch/picks to get the underneath throws wide open...Patriots often use this as well very successfully and at times illegally

Well I saw the Bills execute this play at least once last week and I was worried they would get called for a pick. I think the Jets did.

There are lots of things that Hackett is doing or not doing that concern me.

Is the brilliant, mastermind Chan Gailey even working in the NFL?

What is people's fascination with Gailey. His offense was figured out about a third of the way through the season. Yeah he used screens well, so what. How does every forget how stagnant and terrible our offense was once teams started pressing our WR's and taking away the quick hitters, which were the only ones FItz could do consistently? The offense was absolutely stopped in its tracks once teams got physical with our WR's.

Shhhh.

We're not allowed to criticize Hackett or compliment Gailey.

Doing so will spark 40 new threads about how terrible and stupid Bills fans are.

Hackett is way in over his head. Bad hire. Sure he can gain experience over two to three years. Now, he is clearly out matched. As said, bad hire.

What is people's fascination with Gailey. His offense was figured out about a third of the way through the season. Yeah he used screens well, so what. How does every forget how stagnant and terrible our offense was once teams started pressing our WR's and taking away the quick hitters, which were the only ones FItz could do consistently? The offense was absolutely stopped in its tracks once teams got physical with our WR's.

+1...Plus Gailey got THREE years to right this ship...Marrone and Hackett are being judged by their performance in THREE GAMES!!

B.c these couch coaches forget the last year that was played. They cannot even remember last week I bet. People already think Hackett is bad b.c they do not know what they're talking about. Simple as that don't forget you don't need an education to be a Bills fan. What's good is threads like this weed out those people that you know are full of shyt and makes it easier to ignore their future crap.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

+1...Plus Gailey got THREE years to right this ship...Marrone and Hackett are being judged by their performance in THREE GAMES!!

That's what frustrates me most about Bills fans lately...of course we're ALL frustrated and sick of losing....but when you bring in a new regime to try and right the ship, they deserve a reasonable amount of time to get the job done. The first year gives them a chance to lay a foundation and serves as a baseline...from there we should see growth and improvement by year two and by year three we should be cooking with gas. Unfortunately guys like Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey (and Greggo...and Mularkey) are successful coordinators who deserved a look as head coaches. But they each proved that they best served doing what they do best - coordinate. The guys who are truly legit head coaches are few and far between, and unfortunately we've missed horribly for a long damn time. But Marrone deserves a reasonable amount of time to prove he's going to be able to successfully make the transition to a legit head coach in the NFL. That's not even factoring in our rookie QB, rookie WRs, etc.

It's just asinine to assume that things will be turned around immediately, or that EJ will do EVERYTHING right, or whatever else. And then you have injuries, combined with a lack of depth.

Perspective, people. I know some people are always so eager to jump off the bridge and grab as many others as they can on the way down, but try to have a little perspective and give this new group of folks some time to prove they are different.

but but, we were scoring 16 points per game! if that not offensive genius I don't know what is. With gailey we had stagnation and then a breakaway screen or wide open guy once or twice a game and decent running yards. With Hackett we have no screens no running with a decent touch pass one or two times a game.

I said the exact same thing out loud at least 3-4 times during that game last Sunday; of course nobody listened.

Although that could be because I was in a room by myself.....

Shhhh.

We're not allowed to criticize Hackett or compliment Gailey.

Doing so will spark 40 new threads about how terrible and stupid Bills fans are.

Thank you so much for your concerted effort to turn an interesting football thread into a complain about the board thread.

Maybe instead of ragging on other Bills fans, you'd get better results by actually adding to the discussion instead of crapping on threads and then complaining about the quality of the forum. <_<

That's what frustrates me most about Bills fans lately...of course we're ALL frustrated and sick of losing....but when you bring in a new regime to try and right the ship, they deserve a reasonable amount of time to get the job done. The first year gives them a chance to lay a foundation and serves as a baseline...from there we should see growth and improvement by year two and by year three we should be cooking with gas. Unfortunately guys like Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey (and Greggo...and Mularkey) are successful coordinators who deserved a look as head coaches. But they each proved that they best served doing what they do best - coordinate. The guys who are truly legit head coaches are few and far between, and unfortunately we've missed horribly for a long damn time. But Marrone deserves a reasonable amount of time to prove he's going to be able to successfully make the transition to a legit head coach in the NFL. That's not even factoring in our rookie QB, rookie WRs, etc.

It's just asinine to assume that things will be turned around immediately, or that EJ will do EVERYTHING right, or whatever else. And then you have injuries, combined with a lack of depth.

Perspective, people. I know some people are always so eager to jump off the bridge and grab as many others as they can on the way down, but try to have a little perspective and give this new group of folks some time to prove they are different.

I can't argue with much of the AJ, but some things are disturbing.

We have a rookie head coach, OC, and a rookie qb who missed much of the preseason. What do they do? They play hurry-up, which keeps the defense on the field longer. This makes it tougher for them as well as their rookie DC. What is the rush to hand Spiller the ball and send him up the middle? I am not seeing it.

I simply think that the Bills offense needs to be a bit more sophisticated before they focus SO much on the hurry-up.

The Jets just showed the league how to stop Hackett's offense.

Anyone thinking that Manuel's not going to be facing blitzes ala Rob Johnson now is naive. Teams have seen that Manuel's accuracy on the deeper stuff is poor, they're going to throw the book at him, at least teams with decent defenses and smart DCs, and blitz the helloutta Manuel.

If he can overcome that, great, but if not, his career will likely follow the same path that Rob Johnson's did.

Hackett is way in over his head. Bad hire. Sure he can gain experience over two to three years. Now, he is clearly out matched. As said, bad hire.

Two to three years at the expense of fans and then still without any guaranteed results.

Not the kind of hire we needed or which was smart.

But here's the key to that, they can't even get the simplest things right.

When you take a job as an NFL head coach, or correspondingly as a coordinator, there's an expectation that you know a certain mimimum amount, but they don't. So yes, it's not too early to judge. Denying that does nothing.

That's what frustrates me most about Bills fans lately...of course we're ALL frustrated and sick of losing....but when you bring in a new regime to try and right the ship, they deserve a reasonable amount of time to get the job done.

Here's why some of us are frustrated, because these guys are not capable of getting the job done, they're failing at the simplest of things. Stuff that are prerequisites for coaching they seem to need to learn.

So what gives anyone the impression that they'll "get the job done?" That makes no sense.

How about finally hiring a qualified coach, not another candidate that needs to be spit-shined with turd polish.

We have a rookie head coach, OC, and a rookie qb who missed much of the preseason. What do they do? They play hurry-up, which keeps the defense on the field longer. This makes it tougher for them as well as their rookie DC. What is the rush to hand Spiller the ball and send him up the middle? I am not seeing it.

I simply think that the Bills offense needs to be a bit more sophisticated before they focus SO much on the hurry-up.

Again, fundamentals. If we as fans understand it, then it's a terrible sign for this staff and far from too early to write them off.

Also, not just three games, seven games. Sure, we discounted the preseason games by saying that they didn't count, but they were no different, so in that measure it's seven games.

Either way, we're going to get toasted tomorrow by the Ravens and their pass rush.

I agree with all of this Bill; if we're looking at it from the perspective of the only goal is to win football games This Year.

But I don't think the Bills are playing for just This Year. I think they recognize that they're not going to challenge for the division, or even a playoff spot this year, so coaching guys up and building a good foundation becomes one of the primary goals, and if you can happen to win while doing it, then great.

I don't like some of the things I've seen either, but there's a learning process going on here, and if teaching is as important to them as winning right now, I can sort of understand that.

I love how every thread on the board--regardless of the topic-- eventually devolves into five things:

1) Hackett bad; Gailey good

2) Justin Rogers

3) Colin Brown

4) The hurry up offense

5) TJ Graham

I would be willing to bet that every thread that has gone at least 2 pages long, has at least one post devoted to these topics.

Well I DO agree with you but also I would like to point out that Gailey was the HC AND OC.

Hackett is officially the designated OC and I believe these plays are drawn up by him. I think the OP was trying to say to take a look at a "few" of Gailey's playbook and not the playbook as a whole.

Then again, Hackett should take a look at ALL NFL coach's playbook, cuz this stuff he's drawing up is for sure not working.

I'm not one of the guys asking for Hackett's early retirement (which we know won't happen anyway) cuz I like the guy's energy, but he really DOES need a better approach. At LEAST, at the VERY least, change the damn running plays.

(Voice in background) If you fix the run, the pass will come.

I love how every thread on the board--regardless of the topic-- eventually devolves into five things:

1) Hackett bad; Gailey good

2) Justin Rogers

3) Colin Brown

4) The hurry up offense

5) TJ Graham

I would be willing to bet that every thread that has gone at least 2 pages long, has at least one post devoted to these topics.

Well, they sure aren't going to talk about Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher, Shawn Merriman, Travis Henry, the good ole days, Lawyer Milloy, etc.

We're in the present and these are the topics at hand. Though Gailey can be forgotten at this point I agree...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

Well I DO agree with you but also I would like to point out that Gailey was the HC AND OC.

Hackett is officially the designated OC and I believe these plays are drawn up by him. I think the OP was trying to say to take a look at a "few" of Gailey's playbook and not the playbook as a whole.

Then again, Hackett should take a look at ALL NFL coach's playbook, cuz this stuff he's drawing up is for sure not working.

I'm not one of the guys asking for Hackett's early retirement (which we know won't happen anyway) cuz I like the guy's energy, but he really DOES need a better approach. At LEAST, at the VERY least, change the damn running plays.

(Voice in background) If you fix the run, the pass will come.

Well, they sure aren't going to talk about Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher, Shawn Merriman, Travis Henry, the good ole days, Lawyer Milloy, etc.

We're in the present and these are the topics at hand. Though Gailey can be forgotten at this point I agree...

Actually Gailey wasn't really a HC... He didn't even know what his defense was doing. He was an OC that had a title of HC but only did OC duties.