geno vs. Ej

zazie

Geno threw 2 picks despite little pressure. he is no automatic saviour.

EJ threw none despite a ton of pressure.

Geno got the w, though.

1-0 Geno, so far.

in theory this was the first of many head to head meetings between these two rookies. Let's hope so because that would mean EJ was good enough to hold the job long term.

by no means a foregone conclusion.

There is a big difference in the way these 2 qb's are being assimilated into the NFL. With EJ it's like we are too scared for him to make mistakes so we let him throw a 5 yard hitch route every now and then. Half field reads and no scrambling. With Geno it's like the Jets just turned him loose and said do what you do we don't want to hold you back. Run around like a crazy person and throw bombs. With that approach he will make more mistakes but also make more big plays. It's a risk vs reward. I'm not sure which way is better but we will have to wait and see a few years down the road.

The Bills way is safer to build his confidence slowly. The OL protection needs to improve to give him more time

I disagree with your first sentence. The Bills coaching staff are like helicopter parents. EJ isn't going to learn how to deal with adversity if they're too scared to let him fall down and skin his knee once in a while. And he isn't going to learn how to succeed if their afraid to let him try.

On the OL, that's a given and an absurd failure of the FO to not replace Levitre when they knew they were going all in on a rookie QB.

I disagree with your first sentence. The Bills coaching staff are like helicopter parents. EJ isn't going to learn how to deal with adversity if they're too scared to let him fall down and skin his knee once in a while. And he isn't going to learn how to succeed if their afraid to let him try.

On the OL, that's a given and an absurd failure of the FO to not replace Levitre when they knew they were going all in on a rookie QB.

whether they let him or not, he did that anyway.

Geno threw 2 picks despite little pressure. he is no automatic saviour.

EJ threw none despite a ton of pressure.

Geno got the w, though.

1-0 Geno, so far.

in theory this was the first of many head to head meetings between these two rookies. Let's hope so because that would mean EJ was good enough to hold the job long term.

by no means a foregone conclusion.

While I think Geno's defense and the Bill's 4th string secondary won the game for him, I do wonder whether, at this point in EJ's career (extremely early, but it is all we have to go on) if EJ was faced with a CB of the quality of Justin Rogers if he could indeed hit the deep ball in stride so accurately. Perhaps he could, but we don't know. Geno was assisted by Rogers, but I will give him credit for hitting ther 2 long TDs. They were nice. That said, he missed a lot of throws too.

I would probably lean this way as well. I remember when Peyton Manning came in the league and I thought he was horrible. He only completed 50% of his passes and threw more int's than td's. But from that failure I'd have to assume he learned what NOT to do and only continued to get better from there. But then on the other side is Brady who never really had to deal with adversity and was in an offense where dump passes to the slot receiver and tight end were like extended running plays. I can't really say which way is better, it might be dependant on the type of person they are and how well they deal with success and failure

Edited by kdiggz

As someone who thought the Geno hate was completely insane, it's way too early. Justin Rogers shouldn't be better than 5th cb at best. Aaron Williams got moved to safety because he was so bad at corner. Leonhard is a backup at best. Yet, this was your defensive backfield on Sunday. Smith took advantage of it and kudos to him. but it was not special talent he beat.

As someone who thought the Geno hate was completely insane, it's way too early. Justin Rogers shouldn't be better than 5th cb at best. Aaron Williams got moved to safety because he was so bad at corner. Leonhard is a backup at best. Yet, this was your defensive backfield on Sunday. Smith took advantage of it and kudos to him. but it was not special talent he beat.

Plus NYJ knew exactly what defense we would be running. It works both ways on the familiarity.

Plus NYJ knew exactly what defense we would be running. It works both ways on the familiarity.

Obviously, we never know, but I have a hard time believing Smith craves up with our healthy defensive backfield. The exploited terrible cover guys (Searcy maybe the worst coverage S in the NFL). Credit to him but I'd love to see us play them with our real starters in.

The consensus on draft day was that Geno would likely be the better QB right out of the gate but would plateau quickly, while EJ would develop slowly but could one day be molded into something truly special. Hence the Kevin Kolb signing. So far, things appear to be playing out as expected.

Lets hope it all continues to go as we hoped it would!

There is a big difference in the way these 2 qb's are being assimilated into the NFL. With EJ it's like we are too scared for him to make mistakes so we let him throw a 5 yard hitch route every now and then. Half field reads and no scrambling. With Geno it's like the Jets just turned him loose and said do what you do we don't want to hold you back. Run around like a crazy person and throw bombs. With that approach he will make more mistakes but also make more big plays. It's a risk vs reward. I'm not sure which way is better but we will have to wait and see a few years down the road.

Also keep in mind I'm sure the Jets game plan changed once McKelvin went out and Smith had the confidence to go more downfield. Heading into the game our CBs weren't the greatest. Once Gilmore and McKelvin are at full strength It will be a different story.