Lets turn our attention to Baltimore

dascottbills28

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For fun, I looked at the NY Jets-Ravens box score from their last meeting (2011), to get an idea of how they performed against Pettine/Ryan defense. Flacco's #s - 10/31, 163 yds, 32.3% passer rating. 0 TDs, 1 INT. Fr the record, the Ravens won 34-17 but scored 1 offensive TD on a Ray Rice 3 yd run.

That's why I am not too concerned about EJs performance Sunday...they have been doing this to QBs since Ryan got there...there is a reason QBs have a collective rating of 68 against his D over the last 3 year's...if anything, encouraged EJ didn't throw bad INTs like Fitz used to do against them

Edited by matter2003

No offense, but it's silly to compare games like this. The Texans should have lost to the Chargers and Titans. Maybe they aren't as good as people thing. The Ravens struggled to beat the Browns at home. We beat the Panthers who hand the Giants their worst loss in the Coughlin era. The Panthers shut down Lynch while Spiller ran for 100+.

This is a very good point. Unless you are talking about the very elite teams (who I would say are Denver and Seattle) I don't think you can expect 100% consistency from week to week. Watch EJ go out and throw for 300 and 2TD's this week, and FXJAX have 100 yards. And Mario gets 4 sacks. Really, who would have thought we would sack Cam 6 times, and Gino Smith NEVER. Like one of the announcers said a few games ago, you don't really know what's going on in the NFL until November.

That's why I am not too concerned about EJs performance Sunday...they have been doing this to QBs since Ryan got there...there is a reason QBs have a collective rating of 68 against his D over the last 3 year's...if anything, encouraged EJ didn't throw bad INTs like Fitz used to do against them

I think the lack of bad INT's has been missed by all those who pile on EJ. It's a huge benefit that he's not a turnover machine like a lot of rookie QB's under pressure(or even vets like Big Ben Sunday).

This is a very good point. Unless you are talking about the very elite teams (who I would say are Denver and Seattle) I don't think you can expect 100% consistency from week to week. Watch EJ go out and throw for 300 and 2TD's this week, and FXJAX have 100 yards. And Mario gets 4 sacks. Really, who would have thought we would sack Cam 6 times, and Gino Smith NEVER. Like one of the announcers said a few games ago, you don't really know what's going on in the NFL until November.

I think the lack of bad INT's has been missed by all those who pile on EJ. It's a huge benefit that he's not a turnover machine like a lot of rookie QB's under pressure(or even vets like Big Ben Sunday).

Or Ei Manning. Both have won 2 SBs each.

fwiw, the latest line is baltimore +3.5 points

Way lower than I thought... since home field gets 3 I guess it is more like 6.5 but I still thought it might be higher.

EJ looked very concerned about turning it over. On one play, I remember hi having a ton of time and he just coudn't find anyone open so he threw it OOB. CBS threw up a graphic of how all the WRs were covered and Gannon commended him on the decision. It was a tough day for EJ but he made some really good plays too, again in the clutch, but Rex won the battle.

EJ looked very concerned about turning it over. On one play, I remember hi having a ton of time and he just coudn't find anyone open so he threw it OOB. CBS threw up a graphic of how all the WRs were covered and Gannon commended him on the decision. It was a tough day for EJ but he made some really good plays too, again in the clutch, but Rex won the battle.

Wonder how many rookie starting QBs have only thrown 1 INT in their first 3 games? Not many I bet, especially against the 3 defenses we have played.

Edited by matter2003

If that's not saying "give up hope", then I'd hate to see what is.

Not that I disagree with you, I'm not expecting this game to be pretty based on the Bills' performances so far, even though I do think Baltimore is significantly diminished from the SB team of a year ago.

Not at all. I've been a fan far too long to give up "hope" cuz that's all I got week after week. I hope the O-Line holds up, I hope we don't have injuries. I hope CJ doesn't fumble etc.

It's not giving up hope but more of a, when the Hell are we going to contend situation. The game was close yes but that was only cuz the refs didn't see EJ fumble and the Jets ran out of challenges. Their penalties and our defense (believe it or not) kept us in the game.

The Ravens are for sure not the same team as last year but like I said, they haven't allowed an offensive TD since week 1. That's 2 whole games without allowing one. If the tables were turned and the Bills didn't allow an offensive TD in 2 games, that would be the talk of the town wouldn't it?

I don't feel comfortable going against that defense. Not with the offensive approach we have. Can we beat them? Sure. Why not? But many adjustments need to be made for that to happen and I don't really know if it's Hackett, EJ or Marrone to blame. What I DO know is, is that all three of them are in this thing together and if one messes up, they all take the fall.

A win is a win and a loss is a loss I get it. If we pulled out a win against the Jets, we surely wouldn't have deserved it (in my opinion of course) but I would still be happy about it. But if it makes any sense, I'd rather lose a game confident that the team I'm rooting for is an all around well trained team with a solid gameplan, than to win by luck and have question marks going into the next game.

Right now (and for a long time) we don't have a "look" to us. For example, when you play the Jets, people KNOW they have a solid D-line week after week. Not good one week and bad on another. Consistently good. The Bills are always on the same page one quarter and off on the next. All we're known for is having a hurry up offense this year and the Eagles are even taking THAT spotlight away from us cuz they're "faster".

I just want to at least have a solid D-line that people can talk about and say, oh we're playing the Bills, we're definitely not going to be able to run against them. We have the personnel for it. Mario is a beast, Kyle is a beast, Dareus was supposed to be one.

No hope lost. Just not confident in the approach of the offense going up against that Ravens D.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

This. There was nothing more disheartening last year than to see the Bills' follow-up to the Pats* debacle in San Fran. No heart, no fight -- nada.

I want to see the Bills play angry. Smart, but angry.

or how bout they play a physical brand of ball like the ravens and jets play. One of the bills biggest problems is they're soft!!!

I expect the ravens to do the same things the jets did.

We show up against carolina with a suspect oline, but can't do a thing against the jets oline or dline. The bills are soft and that's one of the things that need to change.

Not at all. I've been a fan far too long to give up "hope" cuz that's all I got week after week. I hope the O-Line holds up, I hope we don't have injuries. I hope CJ doesn't fumble etc.

It's not giving up hope but more of a, when the Hell are we going to contend situation. The game was close yes but that was only cuz the refs didn't see EJ fumble and the Jets ran out of challenges. Their penalties and our defense (believe it or not) kept us in the game.

The Ravens are for sure not the same team as last year but like I said, they haven't allowed an offensive TD since week 1. That's 2 whole games without allowing one. If the tables were turned and the Bills didn't allow an offensive TD in 2 games, that would be the talk of the town wouldn't it?

I don't feel comfortable going against that defense. Not with the offensive approach we have. Can we beat them? Sure. Why not? But many adjustments need to be made for that to happen and I don't really know if it's Hackett, EJ or Marrone to blame. What I DO know is, is that all three of them are in this thing together and if one messes up, they all take the fall.

A win is a win and a loss is a loss I get it. If we pulled out a win against the Jets, we surely wouldn't have deserved it (in my opinion of course) but I would still be happy about it. But if it makes any sense, I'd rather lose a game confident that the team I'm rooting for is an all around well trained team with a solid gameplan, than to win by luck and have question marks going into the next game.

Right now (and for a long time) we don't have a "look" to us. For example, when you play the Jets, people KNOW they have a solid D-line week after week. Not good one week and bad on another. Consistently good. The Bills are always on the same page one quarter and off on the next. All we're known for is having a hurry up offense this year and the Eagles are even taking THAT spotlight away from us cuz they're "faster".

I just want to at least have a solid D-line that people can talk about and say, oh we're playing the Bills, we're definitely not going to be able to run against them. We have the personnel for it. Mario is a beast, Kyle is a beast, Dareus was supposed to be one.

No hope lost. Just not confident in the approach of the offense going up against that Ravens D.

can't say that about the dline because in my honest opinion DWC, they're soft.

I said the same thing in one of these threads bashing EJ.

half of the sacks were "coverage" sacks, the longer the play the greater the chance for a holding penalty against the Bill

No offense, but it's silly to compare games like this. The Texans should have lost to the Chargers and Titans. Maybe they aren't as good as people thing. The Ravens struggled to beat the Browns at home. We beat the Panthers who hand the Giants their worst loss in the Coughlin era. The Panthers shut down Lynch while Spiller ran for 100+.

None taken. The point of my post was that the Ravens (who don't strike me as an elite team, but more of one who is trying to re-establish their defense after losing two HOF players in Ray Lewis and Ed Reed), were able to beat an average Houston team. Unfortunately, I rate our personnel behind both teams at many key positions. If I had to bet even money, no way I put a wager on the bills. But it is the NFL, and anybody can win on any given Sunday.

And for the Bills to pull it off they will need to beat a team that has more talent than they do. Maybe we can distract the Ravens players with a party bus and some dancers. That could even the odds a bit.

Thanks for no substance. What point are you trying to prove based off what I said?

You complained that they "called read option off tackle runs" or something to that effect. Don't know what it was word for word. By saying that, it seems that you do not in any way grasp the X's and O's of Read Option plays, at least at the NFL level where most of the calls are package plays.

The play is usually more than just "QB keep or RB run." It wouldn't be effective that way. You need your WRs running routes, whether it be a quick hitter or what have you. The QB then READS the defense and chooses an OPTION which he believes will be most successful.

So perhaps its not as much the play call itself as much as a rookie QB not making the best decisions, yes?