Country music stars bashing country music....

The Poojer

I have zero place in my musical taste for country music and Tom Petty says, in this article, something that I have been saying for years and getting blasted by friends and family for saying....although I have been saying it's 'pop/rock music that couldn't make it in pop/rock'. Not that what Tom Petty says is the end all be all, it's nice to hear someone in the business saying something that I have been saying.....

At a May concert in New York, Petty called contemporary county music “bad rock with a fiddle.” Later elaborating in Rolling Stone, Petty said country music “does seem to be missing that magic element that it used to have. I’m sure there are people playing country that are doing it well, but they’re just not getting the attention that the shittier stuff gets ... Most of that music reminds me of rock in the middle Eighties where it became incredibly generic.”

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/country/5719212/zac-brown-kacey-musgraves-on-confronting-country-musics-image-problem

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have zero place in my musical taste for country music and Tom Petty says, in this article, something that I have been saying for years and getting blasted by friends and family for saying....although I have been saying it's 'pop/rock music that couldn't make it in pop/rock'. Not that what Tom Petty says is the end all be all, it's nice to hear someone in the business saying something that I have been saying.....

http://www.billboard...s-image-problem

agreed. but tom petty needs to look outside the cma's. there's plenty of good country out there and plenty of stuff (americana, bluegrass, folk) based on it that's very good. he's a damned good guitarist but there are many just as good playing country in honky tonk's and festivals. letterman books them and shows like austin city limits but they're not on many mainstream radio stations. still, it's there if you look. and while you can easily not like brad paisley's or keith urban's songs, you can't deny their abilities when it come to guitar playing.

But that's the problem...the 'fans' aren't putting in the effort to find them. They are lapping up the dreck from Luke Byran... Florida Georgia line etc...country fans should be swarming to bands like avett, kopecky family, etc...the stuff that is great musicianship...great songs....thankfully zac brown is being appreciated by this crowd. Popular country music is all style over substance.

agreed. but tom petty needs to look outside the cma's. there's plenty of good country out there and plenty of stuff (americana, bluegrass, folk) based on it that's very good. he's a damned good guitarist but there are many just as good playing country in honky tonk's and festivals. letterman books them and shows like austin city limits but they're not on many mainstream radio stations. still, it's there if you look. and while you can easily not like brad paisley's or keith urban's songs, you can't deny their abilities when it come to guitar playing.

But that's the problem...the 'fans' aren't putting in the effort to find them. They are lapping up the dreck from Luke Byran... Florida Georgia line etc...country fans should be swarming to bands like avett, kopecky family, etc...the stuff that is great musicianship...great songs....thankfully zac brown is being appreciated by this crowd. Popular country music is all style over substance.

i'll admit, i watched the last couple cma awards shows and almost barfed watching the planted, smiling, faux country attired "fans" corralled in the front few rows (?pens). yet, even the grand ole opry has it's bling at times. i saw james taylor in nashville a few years back and after a break he came back rubbing his eyes saying all the jewelry of the big country stars back stage nearly blinded him. it's show biz and trying to hold on to fame is to be expected. some do it much more gracefully than others and don't let it get in the way of their craft. kinda like wes welker vs that flashy unproductive receiver that played for the bills one year. what was his name again?

Tom Petty can kiss my ass. His music is awful. It is bland empty rock. Of course, the new country music today is worse then his crap. Artists like "Luke Bryan" "Eric Church" "Brian Luke" "Eric Bryan" ... "Florida-Georgia Line" and even the current "Rascal Flatts" suck. They're nothing like Lester Flatts and Earl Scruggs. They are nothing near Travis Tritt or Clint Black. Go back to the 90's. That was the pinnacle of country music. The last glimpse of an incredible genre before it burned itself out and in the process created a fire storm of crap.

Why did this happen? Why did Sherryl Crowe, Kid Rock, Darius Rucker, Bob Dylan, the blonde from Iron Man all create country albums? Because:

1) It's fun and easy to sing

2) It sells. Yep. "Rap" and new country are the only albums that really sell-now-a-days.

I love country music. My girlfriend thinks I am insane. I just made a CD tonight that had Eminem, Deuce, and a few other hard rock songs...with Willie Nelson, Rick Trevino, and Collin Raye on it, too. I can listen to Hank Sr. and go right to Korn then to King Oliver. I can appreciate music and rhythm. I cannot appreciate any new country - save one for song "Country Girl Shake it For Me." The last time I tuned in to contemporary country music was right at the emerging of Dierks Bentley, Blake Shelton and Rascall Flatts. I once wrote a big thread response to a post a while back by BufTex. It looked at the charts of today, 10 years before and 20 years before. Todays artists are people no one has heard of, 10 years ago there was a mixture of people we never heard of again, legendary names and a few that are still around today. Twenty years ago was the likes of Garth Brooks, George Strait, Trisha Yearwood, The Judds, Leann Rimes, Randy Travis, Reba McIntyre, and even Shania Twain. I bet every single reader of this post knows those names and could probably pick them out of a lineup. However, could you pick Keith Urban? Jennifer Nettles? Any member of Little Big Town? Luke Bryan? Zac Brown? Jason Aldean?

I could get Urban because he's been around a while and he's always in the tabloids. I could get Nettles because she's hot. I could get Zac Brown because the dude is just cool looking. The rest - would anyone recognize?

There are some great country music out there but a lot of it is schlock. It seems that ll you need is a couple of cliches strung together. But my wife made an excellent point the other day. Country today is what album rock was in the 70's and 80's. Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, CCR, Molly Hatchet, Outlaws, Charlie Daniels, etc would all be considered rock acts back then. They're country acts today.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

And, you know what. eff off Zac Brown. I like the song Chicken Fried. It's the only one of his I know. Yet, it panders to the red[neck], white[skin], blue[collar] crowd... The line "think I'd give my life for the stars and stripes, let freedom forever fly, let it ring, salute the ones who died the ones who gave their lives so we don't have to sacrifice all the things we love, like our chicken fried..." seriously... you and Alan Jackson could have an America Hugg'n orgy on lyrics with that crap.

Honestly, when people say they "hate" country music, it normally is an indication that they don't really understand the difference between country music and the country music industry. It is usually a red flag to me that there isn't much point in trying to discuss it with them...

Pooj. I know you love music (one of the things I like about you, sincerely!), but it mystifies me that you could be a Dead fan, and say you don't like country music, or have "zero space" for it.

If you like the Dead, you do like country music and you are making space for it, you just don't recognize it as country music, because their music was never marketed that way. I would contend the Dead are more a real country band than anyone who is passed off as country music today...you know those artists you see on the awards shows. I think most people with a more than surface knowledge of music, and the music industry, would understand this.

I think Petty is talking about what is marketed as country music, and sold as country music. I agree with Petty (terribly overrated in his own right), if indeed that is what he means. Most of the really popular, "unit selling" acts that represent country music really are just doing soft rock, that isn't particularly good. What most of these people possess (and a large part of their appeal) is a look, and, normally, a pretty good singing voice. These aesthetics (looks, voice) are what make the industry run.

If not, then he doesn't know wtf he is talking about either. That would be like somebody saying they hate rock-n'roll because Matchbox 20, Nickelback, Maroon 5 and all those "rock" bands (you know, the ones that sell **** tons of records) are rock-n' roll, and we all know those bands suck....so rock n'roll music must suck too! Right? Pooj, you did your time in music retail, you know that what is popular, what sells the most units, what wins all the awards from "the industry" is not necessarily the best, or the most authentic...it is what appeals to the masses, who don't really delve too deep past the radio, or the awards shows...who are easily influenced by appearances.... now, why would "country music" be any different than any other genre? The commercial country music industry is just that....it is a big business that knows how to chase money and it is catering to a very specific element of music fans...but certainly not all music fans, or all real country music fans. Does Deer Tick suck, because Maroon 5 sucks? That is the logic being applied here.

"Country music" is as broad, and encompasses as many different styles and tastes, within the genre, as any other kind of music. Petty, I think, is talking about "popular country", which is just a commercial term.

There are some great country music out there but a lot of it is schlock. It seems that ll you need is a couple of cliches strung together. But my wife made an excellent point the other day. Country today is what album rock was in the 70's and 80's. Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, CCR, Molly Hatchet, Outlaws, Charlie Daniels, etc would all be considered rock acts back then. They're country acts today.

PTR

You are right PTR. Part of what sustains the country music industry is that once you have a hit, and if you are willing to tour, you have a career for life. Country fans are extremely loyal, and don't tend to cast aside artists as easily as other genres. If the "artist" (a term I use loosely) is willing to work hard, they can always draw a paycheck, even if their last hit was decades ago. Ray Price, at 87, still sells out 3,000 set venues, and he hasn't had a hit record since about 1972. People like Sheryl Crow (the female Tom Petty?) get this. She is marginally talented, nice to look at, recognizable, but can't sell records as a rock artist any more, so she is now a "country" artist...her new album looks like it could be a Kerry Underwood album, and it is being marketed that way. She shows up on all the country awards shows (there are tons of them) singing duets with the flavor of the day, cuz she is trying to sustain a career...

btw- there is an excellent documentary (currently being re-run on Showtime) about the Eagles. I am not the worlds biggest Eagles fan, mind you (though I don't hate them like some) but a lot of what they struggled with, artistically, was trying to bridge this gap between what is considered country, and what is considered rock. Pretty interesting. I really enjoyed it, seeing old footage of Linda Ronstadt and the other California country/rock straddlers. I will say, on a side-note, Henley and Felder are both pretty full of themselves, it seems. Neither comes off particularly well, IMO, even though this was their project.

Edited by Buftex

Hey Buftex, you are spot on. I do a bit of an internal mindgame on myself a lot of times. I love bands like DBT, Jason Isbel, etc. They could easily fall into a country music category. I 'force' myself to call it roots rock alt-country. Avetts, Trampled by Turtles, I call bluegrass, alt-folk. Wilco is Americana. I think those bands and the dead are steeped in musical styles that some consider country. I've just always(even going back to as a young un) disliked country music. Too me country music is about your dog, your truck, drinking whiskey & beer, the flag, and your wife leaving. I know that's an unfair categorization. Then you get what's marketed to the public and it just reinforces my 'disdain'. Trust me I struggle with being a Jason isbell fan. Its just how my crazy mind works.

You are right PTR. Part of what sustains the country music industry is that once you have a hit, and if you are willing to tour, you have a career for life. Country fans are extremely loyal, and don't tend to cast aside artists as easily as other genres. If the "artist" (a term I use loosely) is willing to work hard, they can always draw a paycheck, even if their last hit was decades ago. Ray Price, at 87, still sells out 3,000 set venues, and he hasn't had a hit record since about 1972. People like Sheryl Crow (the female Tom Petty?) get this. She is marginally talented, nice to look at, recognizable, but can't sell records as a rock artist any more, so she is now a "country" artist...her new album looks like it could be a Kerry Underwood album, and it is being marketed that way. She shows up on all the country awards shows (there are tons of them) singing duets with the flavor of the day, cuz she is trying to sustain

this is true with at least one caveat: don't stand for anything politically controversial. even johnny cash had trouble with this part. and the dixie chicks were utterly destroyed. natalie maines just made a classic rock album, as usual, going against the grain. that's something i really don't like about the genre. you better follow the straight and narrow or keep your mouth shut or both. pretty much the opposite of rock where rebellion is often celebrated (or at least was).

I'm a fan of old country music ... namely Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline.

Listening to today's country music is like looking at a Penthouse magazine. The words mean nothing, but it can still be entertaining.

Tom Petty can kiss my ass. His music is awful. It is bland empty rock. Of course, the new country music today is worse then his crap. Artists like "Luke Bryan" "Eric Church" "Brian Luke" "Eric Bryan" ... "Florida-Georgia Line" and even the current "Rascal Flatts" suck. They're nothing like Lester Flatts and Earl Scruggs. They are nothing near Travis Tritt or Clint Black. Go back to the 90's. That was the pinnacle of country music. The last glimpse of an incredible genre before it burned itself out and in the process created a fire storm of crap.Why did this happen? Why did Sherryl Crowe, Kid Rock, Darius Rucker, Bob Dylan, the blonde from Iron Man all create country albums? Because:1) It's fun and easy to sing2) It sells. Yep. "Rap" and new country are the only albums that really sell-now-a-days.I love country music. My girlfriend thinks I am insane. I just made a CD tonight that had Eminem, Deuce, and a few other hard rock songs...with Willie Nelson, Rick Trevino, and Collin Raye on it, too. I can listen to Hank Sr. and go right to Korn then to King Oliver. I can appreciate music and rhythm. I cannot appreciate any new country - save one for song "Country Girl Shake it For Me." The last time I tuned in to contemporary country music was right at the emerging of Dierks Bentley, Blake Shelton and Rascall Flatts. I once wrote a big thread response to a post a while back by BufTex. It looked at the charts of today, 10 years before and 20 years before. Todays artists are people no one has heard of, 10 years ago there was a mixture of people we never heard of again, legendary names and a few that are still around today. Twenty years ago was the likes of Garth Brooks, George Strait, Trisha Yearwood, The Judds, Leann Rimes, Randy Travis, Reba McIntyre, and even Shania Twain. I bet every single reader of this post knows those names and could probably pick them out of a lineup. However, could you pick Keith Urban? Jennifer Nettles? Any member of Little Big Town? Luke Bryan? Zac Brown? Jason Aldean?I could get Urban because he's been around a while and he's always in the tabloids. I could get Nettles because she's hot. I could get Zac Brown because the dude is just cool looking. The rest - would anyone recognize?

Tom Petty does not suck......

Edited by BUFFALOTONE

no he was voicing his opinion of country music today, (bad) rock music with a fiddle

Doesn't your title say country music stars bashing country music? I'm cornfused.

and for the record....I hate Howard Stern. He hasn't been relevant in years, but I love dissing him on message boards.

Tom Petty is 66 years old, and a grandfather.

Flash back to 1955. What do you think that 66-year-old grandfathers were saying about Elvis Presley when he first hit the scene?

This is exactly why people hate baby boomers. To baby boomers, music "sucked" before them and music "sucked" after them. It is only "their" music that is cool.

the focus of the article was zac brown and his thoughts, the tom petty comments were content to the story and i pulled out that reference because it pretty closely matched my sentiments about the (main stream) style of music....

and you just don't get howard stern.... B-)

Doesn't your title say country music stars bashing country music? I'm cornfused.

and for the record....I hate Howard Stern. He hasn't been relevant in years, but I love dissing him on message boards.