How do we stack up against the Jets?

boyst

The JETS O-line has some serious deficiencies, especially with a rookie QB who likes to hold the ball and is prone to taking a lot of sacks. I see our defense being very sack happy on Sunday. If we can stop the NYJ running game the Jets will struggle mightily on offense. This will also be a big test for our own rookie QB vs a blitz happy Ryan defense. The Bills' offense had better be ready for the blitz because it's coming early and often. I can see Spiller having a huge game he will have the opportunity to get the ball in space quite a bit....and when that happens......well, you know.

Don't forget Fred.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going by recent history, not that well. We have a poor record vs Jets in the Rex era, mostly due to our offensive struggles against their very solid front 7. The DL in particular. That is the matchup, not CJ and Freddy. Our OL is probably a bit worse inside due to Levire's departure. I don't expect much success on the ground vs this group, and they probably are going to key on the run as you would vs any rookie QB. This is also EJ's first road test, which is pretty significant. I'd say objectively you are looking at something like 21-16 Jets.

Not it matters but we scored 28 points in both games against the Jets last year. How is that "offensive struggles? We lost one of those games because the defense gave up 48 points in the first game. Seems to me that lose is on last years D. Bills win 28 to 13.

They will pound the rock as usual against our front seven until we show we can stop them. Not sure why they abandoned the run against the Pats when it looked like they were controlling the LOS. They will want to slow down the tempo so Geno does not have to start flinging it around, hence the multiple pix. Heavy doses of the run with play action. Can't forget the way they ran the ball down our throats these past few yrs. Hopefully Pettine will have the scheme to stop and confuse Geno.

This could be the most interesting match up all year.

In philosophy the bills are running the Jets 2010-2011 defense, I'd argue with a more athletic and potentially better front 7 and a worse secondary (while Bryd and Gilmore are out its no contest) McKelvin certainly is an X factor here but I know the jets have picked on him with great success in the past and I want to believe he's changed, but need to see more.

Rex knows Pettine inside and out, Pettine knows the jets offense quite well and most of the personnel as well as knowing Rex inside and out.

On paper the Talent level of the two teams seems commensurate.

I suspect the game will really boil down to EJ vs Geno. I say whichever QB has a better game takes the W.

I think it will come down to 1 on 1 matchups and coaching. Since rex and pettine know each other so well, who can out think the other??

Also the coaches will need to put the players in a position to win their 1on1 battles.

I would like to see fj and cj on the field at the same time. Perhaps split cj wide and keep fred at home.

So if splitting cj wide takes one of the jets line backers out of the picture, then they should do that.

Id also love to see Gragg in the game. t think a speedy te could make diff too.

I'm not to worried about our d, but hackett needs call a good game.

This could be the most interesting match up all year.

In philosophy the bills are running the Jets 2010-2011 defense, I'd argue with a more athletic and potentially better front 7 and a worse secondary (while Bryd and Gilmore are out its no contest) McKelvin certainly is an X factor here but I know the jets have picked on him with great success in the past and I want to believe he's changed, but need to see more.

Rex knows Pettine inside and out, Pettine knows the jets offense quite well and most of the personnel as well as knowing Rex inside and out.

On paper the Talent level of the two teams seems commensurate.

I suspect the game will really boil down to EJ vs Geno. I say whichever QB has a better game takes the W.

So you mean the qb that has the better game wins and the qb that plays bad loses? That makes sense to me somehow.

They're #2 corner spot is just as iffy as ours possibly worse however we have 3 solid receivers (giving TJ benefit of doubt ) so if we can go 3 wide and get 1on1 matchups we should be able to pick them apart

We have two receivers of that there is no doubt. Chandler is not looking like himself or EJ just can't find him, either way our TE play is a decade long misery. The real key to this game will be whether or not EJ is prepared to play on the road. If he is we win. If he isn't, it will be along day. Win or lose, I'd take EJ over Geno in a heart beat.

I think this could be a real fight, and will come down to running the ball. Whichever teams runs more effectively will probably win.

I almost hope we do a lot of heavy sets with Fred back there, and just try to run it down their throats.

So you mean the team that gains more yards will probably win. Yeah I could see that too. The team that gains 300 yards rushing vs a team that gains 9 yards rushing could possibly win. You may be on to something.

Somehow I think that the team that has more points at the conclusion of the game may win the game.

Id say everything you said is right on the money :)

you homer LOL

I was just looking at some offensive stats on my Bills app and i honestly believe what I posted is rock solid.

I have a feeling we find out Sunday that SURPRISE! Jairus is back!

http://blogs.buffalo.../byrd-update-5/

He's got to step up and play. F tag or not missing any more games only hurts his $ value next season.

And for Fettish boy Rex .. I hope Edge (EJ) wipes the smile off of your face early and often .

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- One week after befuddling Tom Brady, the New York Jets face a less daunting challenge at quarterback -- Buffalo Bills rookie EJ Manuel, who has 45,000 fewer passing yards than the New England Patriots' star.

Jets coach Rex Ryan revealed a confident smile Wednesday when asked if his eyes light up when facing a rookie quarterback.

"Maybe a little bit," he said. "It's hard to say, 'Oh, no.' But, yeah, because I know he doesn't have the experience. No rookie has it. ... I'd much rather face a rookie quarterback than Tom Brady."

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

There is going to be a game this year where EJ starts slinging it to the intermediate and deep areas and after that never looks back.......except for checkdowns to RB's when nothing is open.....

This might be the game that starts.

See....this is what is going to make us a better team then in years past......go ahead and take away the short stuff and force our QB to throw deep....he can flick the damn thing 30 yards

I don't know why people are paranoid about those checkdowns...Even the great Manning and Brady often checkdown to their running backs.

I think this could be a real fight, and will come down to running the ball. Whichever teams runs more effectively will probably win.

I almost hope we do a lot of heavy sets with Fred back there, and just try to run it down their throats.

+1.

How has nobody mentioned CJ's habit of having HUGE plays against the Jets?

We might struggled with their defense, but we'll be able to move the ball and score.

On the flip side, we are going to make Geno Smith look like a pants-crapping imbecile.

I knew we'd be able to confuse Cam, and we did. I was fairly confident we could fool Brady here and there, and a couple times we did. I know for certain Geno Smith is going to be completely !@#$ing lost out there. He's going to take sacks, throw some wildly bad interceptions, may be fumble it a few times and look--for the most part--like he has no business in the league.

I like to put it this way: in the last two weeks, our defensive line has been good at getting to the QB. Against the quickest checkdown man in the league and one of the most mobile passers the Bills put up 8 sacks combined. The Jets have given up 9 to Tampa (pretty good defense, but not a powerhouse) and the Patriots (who had zero on EJ)

If our front 7 can beat the hell out of Newton, i want to see what three hours of getting kicked in the teeth does to Geno.

Tough game.

Jets aren't nearly as bad as the media portrays them. Their defense is very good. Offensively they are OK, not terrible. Stopping the run will be crucial and we still rank 30th in the league in rushing defense. We rank 4th in rushing offense while the Jets defense ranks 2nd. That will be an interesting match up.

It will be close. Tough one to call.

Yep. Who knows with this team. It is totally game to game at this point.

To be fair, they did play Tampa week 1 and barely won (Freeman was awful) and NE in a monsoon while Brady had 0 receivers to throw to (and they still won the damn game).

And so did we...We lost to a weak Patriots at home and barely beat a self-defeating Panthers.

Tough game.

Jets aren't nearly as bad as the media portrays them. Their defense is very good. Offensively they are OK, not terrible. Stopping the run will be crucial and we still rank 30th in the league in rushing defense. We rank 4th in rushing offense while the Jets defense ranks 2nd. That will be an interesting match up.

It will be close. Tough one to call.

While agree that the Jets are much closer to the Bills...While they may be ranked 30th against the run, they still are yet to give up a rushing TD.....They have forced the Panthers and Patriots to settle for FG when they have been in the Bills Redzone.

Holy brain fart. Editing now. Thanks.

It's entirely understandable. It's the perception of losing, and that's permeated the locker room for a long, long time too.

That's one of the refreshing changes that the new regime has brought - expecting excellence in performance and that they can win every game.

Not saying we'll win this weekend - the JESTS are a tough group, but The Bills have a good shot at dropping them, and I for one will take great joy in reading the NY area media on Monday - Thursday if that indeed is the outcome.

The JESTS are a souped up MOPAR hot rod spinning their wheels in ammonia at the starting line... lots of smoke and noise going on. But their driver is an emotional basket case and it's easy to see how the wheels could come off before he gets a chance to shift it into third gear. Oh, the horror! :w00t:

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- One week after befuddling Tom Brady, the New York Jets face a less daunting challenge at quarterback -- Buffalo Bills rookie EJ Manuel, who has 45,000 fewer passing yards than the New England Patriots' star.

Jets coach Rex Ryan revealed a confident smile Wednesday when asked if his eyes light up when facing a rookie quarterback.

"Maybe a little bit," he said. "It's hard to say, 'Oh, no.' But, yeah, because I know he doesn't have the experience. No rookie has it. ... I'd much rather face a rookie quarterback than Tom Brady."

LOL! Whatever paper actually published that should go out of business for even having that awful of a writer on staff.

Pretty sure Tom wasn't befuddled by the Jets but by his own team and we aren't the only team with a rookie QB. I think our defense will be more hungry for fresh meat than theirs.

Edited by The Wiz

So you mean the team that gains more yards will probably win. Yeah I could see that too. The team that gains 300 yards rushing vs a team that gains 9 yards rushing could possibly win. You may be on to something.

Somehow I think that the team that has more points at the conclusion of the game may win the game.

That's actually not what I said, but whatever.