What's With The Knapsacks?

Chef Jim

Even guys cary those little backpacks! The ones that cinch @ the top and are nothing but a glorified tote with laces for to put on one's back. Granted they look great on chicks as purses for their back... But guys? Come on! Oh well...

I carry a messenger bag man-purse. I do what I want.

And judging from your birthday... Fit my description to a tee! Did you carry a backpack to grade school/highschool?

:P

Many versions of this joke. Here is DCTom's version. We all know DCTom is the smartest man in the world!

"DCTom, a doctor, a little boy and a priest were all out on a small plane for an afternoon flight when the plane developed engine trouble. In spite of the pilot's best efforts, the plane started to go down. Finally, the pilot yelled out to his passengers that they'd better jump, grabbed a parachute and bailed out.

Unfortunately, that left only three remaining parachutes. Grabbing one, the doctor said, "I am a doctor and I save lives, so I must live," and he jumped.

DCTom then grabbed a parachute and said, "I am the smartest man in the world. I definitely deserve to live." Then he jumped.

Looking at the young boy, the priest said, "Son, I have been fortunate to have lived a long and full life. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. Take the last parachute and live in peace."

Handing the parachute back to the priest, the little boy said, "Don't worry, Father. The smartest man in the world just jumped out with my knapsack!"

:beer:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, I used to carry a knapsack all the time. Even in college. My grandma used to call it a knapsack.

The term "knapsack" is also a generational thing... Now: "backpack."

You said "college" But what about highschool and grade school? I graduated highschool in 1986 and didn't carry a backpack until college... Even then it felt not right. What? was I going camping? Backpacking? ;)

EDIT: Oh wait, just reread what you wrote... That means you did carry a pack as a youth?

Did you tie a shoelace around your books and throw em over your shoulder?

No. I thought about that and what we did... We just didn't carry much stuff home like they do know.. Especially books... Most stayed @ school. Yes, we had homework... But we just carried notebooks and such under our arms... REALLY!

That leads me to school supply season and what a huge business it is! It is incredible the crap that our children "need" (or think they need) now! We literally subsidize supplies for the school! Tissues, baby wipes... ?? WTF!! My wife loves it! She is in her glory school supply shopping. Glad somebody is and she doesn't balance the checkbook! Incredible!

I must be old and grumpy!

No but I tied my books together with an old leather strap.

LoL... The kind we got beat with! My grandfather would chase us around with his barber belt when we were bad!

Who's up for a game of kick the can? How about let's push a broken bicycle wheel around with a stick!

We didn't have that fancy stuff I tell my children... We played with a rock and some lint! :nana:

How many besides myself, my grandmother, and you know that "couch" and "davenport" are synonymous? :lol:

Well I think a davenport is closer to a sofa than a couch. My grandmother had an original Davenport and a couch. "Davenport is for asses not being an ass". She would say don't lie down on the davenport but did not care how we sat or lie on coach unless our feet were on it.

Edited by BillsWatch

Ok I'm hearing a lot of people putting their lunch in there. What are people eating for lunch? My wife and I will barely fill up a knapsack (oh sorry, backpack) wwhen we picnic and that's a ton of food for two along with plates, forks, spoons, napkins and a couple bottles of water.

<raises hand>

Also who ever called one of these a hassock?

product162657899.jpg

That's an Ottoman.

Another thing you can blame/hate Steve Jobs for:

mqPjIOnIdIUyZiVNlREc8-g.jpgApple_Macintosh_128_Carrying_Case.jpg

You don't know joy, till you've slogged around with a Mac SE strapped to your back! :w00t:

also Chef, keep in mind the laptop bags/backpacks/knapsacks/rucksacks, have padding in them to protect the laptop, have puffed out side pockets for usb items like a mouse, they have roomier, and in my case, 3 compartments that add to the bulky look. So its not that they are carrying alot, its just poofy and makes it look packed

also Chef, keep in mind the laptop bags/backpacks/knapsacks/rucksacks, have padding in them to protect the laptop, have puffed out side pockets for usb items like a mouse, they have roomier, and in my case, 3 compartments that add to the bulky look. So its not that they are carrying alot, its just poofy and makes it look packed

Rumor has it that you really like to wear poofy things.....