Did Pats kick FG on 5th down at 21-17?

Boatdrinks

Please tell me if I'm missing something. On Pats FG while down 21-17, I counted 4 pass plays after RB picked up a first down. Brady is sacked on the 4th play. It went misfire to Boyce on 1st, overthrow fade to Edelman in right corner on 2nd, behind Thompkins? in middle of end zone on 3rd, sacked on 4th, FG kicked on 5thdown? Bills coaches should have called TO after sack and would have had ball, no points for Pats. Couple this with the horrendous decision to run hurry up w 5 minutes left. We gift wrapped a win for a depleted Pats offensive team.

Please tell me if I'm missing something. On Pats FG while down 21-17, I counted 4 pass plays after RB picked up a first down. Brady is sacked on the 4th play. It went misfire to Boyce on 1st, overthrow fade to Edelman in right corner on 2nd, behind Thompkins? in middle of end zone on 3rd, sacked on 4th, FG kicked on 5thdown? Bills coaches should have called TO after sack and would have had ball, no points for Pats. Couple this with the horrendous decision to run hurry up w 5 minutes left. We gift wrapped a win for a depleted Pats offensive team.

Apparently there was a penalty, not sure exactly what it was. The analysts missed it as did the tv graphics crew. But on the replay you see a flag on the ground near the endzone. I don't know what it was but a PI call would be iffy at best. Something like that, that wouldn't have resulted in an automatic first down, bc it was 2nd and 11 after instead of 3rd down.

This was another case of snatching a defeat from the jaws of victory. And I place the blame squarely on the coaching. The team was undisciplined and allowed the penalties to cost them a win. When so many members of the team commit so many sloppy penalties it is a result of bad discipline and coaching. Two costly penalties for twelve men on the field in the same game is unacceptable. And just like the Gailey era, inflexibility by the coaching staff cost us. Being inflexible about clock management and not knowing when to abandon the hurry up was deadly. Bad coaching was responsible for this loss.

Edited by simpleman

hurryup wasn't the problem it lack of execution. The last thing we needed to was be conservative, we needed to attack and get more points and the best way to do that is ones regular offense and that is the hurryup for us.

The refs probably said "Just give it to em'"

A fellow Bills fan and I missed that call too, I'm pretty sure in the NFL rules book it says the pats get a milligan in each half and are allowed to hold if its to protect Tommy's fragile body.

This was another case of snatching a defeat from the jaws of victory. And I place the blame squarely on the coaching. The team was undisciplined and allowed the penalties to cost them a win. When so many members of the team commit so many sloppy penalties it is a result of bad discipline and coaching. Two costly penalties for twelve men on the field in the same game is unacceptable. And just like the Gailey era, inflexibility by the coaching staff cost us. Being inflexible about clock management and not knowing when to abandon the hurry up was deadly. Bad coaching was responsible for this loss.

Can't agree with you there. There was too much time left to try and slow things down. Almost five minutes left and they were trying to score. So you abandon the pace that you've been using the whole game with almost five minutes left? The fact is that the players didn't execute and couldn't convert. Stevie dropped a ball that hit him square in the hands on third down. That wasn't the coaches fault. If he catches it, they keep possession, possibly score and win the game. Then they would be geniuses, but because he dropped the ball, they are idiots? Sorry, not buying what you're selling. This will be a very good team before the season is out and it is the coaches that will make them that.

Can't agree with you there. There was too much time left to try and slow things down. Almost five minutes left and they were trying to score. So you abandon the pace that you've been using the whole game with almost five minutes left? The fact is that the players didn't execute and couldn't convert. Stevie dropped a ball that hit him square in the hands on third down. That wasn't the coaches fault. If he catches it, they keep possession, possibly score and win the game. Then they would be geniuses, but because he dropped the ball, they are idiots? Sorry, not buying what you're selling. This will be a very good team before the season is out and it is the coaches that will make them that.

Yeah this^ the costly penalties have to stop though, it's true.

TV coverage was abysmal, they totally missed an extra point of ours, not that an extra point attempt

Is all that critical, but still. They are in such a dammed hurry to make sue they don't miss a single

F'ing commercial. Announcers did piss poor job of keeping us informed as well!