Mike Pettine Is Brilliant, Hackett I am Concerned About

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure we ran about 7-8 offensive plays the entire game.

LOL

I'm tellin ya.

89 plays by the NE D, nearly 40 minutes ToP for them too.

Only 61 plays for us.

And with Brady as their crown jewel throwing to Edelman, Amendola who wasn't even 100%, and Thompkins, an undrafted rookie, and the D still made them look good.

... oh, and I didn't see CJ throw-up.

I guess that they decided that if they kept giving him the ball that the fans would throw up.

So much for that 2K season. Maybe Spiller can now focus on just playing like a starting RB when he's the bell cow instead of mouthin' off about what a great season he'll have.

A very disappointing first game. I've never seen NE play worse with Brady under center. In any other division they don't have a chance to win it.

The only problem that I have with Hackett is failure to understand how to manage the time. With 5:00 minutes left, more or less, you do not run a hurry up offense. Instead, you eat up the clock and try and figure out which plays work best. By the way, how about Leodis today? He was the leading tackler and was a very effective CB today.

Compared to the Bills' last game against the Patriots, in New England, btw, the Bills' offense gained 195 fewer yards while its defense gave up 84 more yards. Clearly progress has been made.

Seriously, however, I love how everyone is blaming the Bills' turnovers for the loss while ignoring the fact that the Pats turned the ball over as well, at a greater cost. It is also indisputable that the Patriots did not have anywhere close to the weapons on offense that they had last year and they still gained well north of 400 yards. I was foolishly pessimistic going into this game, thinking Brady would pick apart the Bills' lousy secondary. With the crappy receivers NE had available for this game, the Bills should have won. Everyone who is saying Pettine is the greatest should also consider that a guy who had 304 career yards in two seasons just rushed for over 100 yards. Sorry, the defense was not stellar today, not by a long shot.

Whey even take issue with it? Seriously, see how many times Brady has been held to 6 points in the entire 2nd half...Mr "39" 4th quarter comebacks simply doesn't have that happen to him, yet our defense pulled it off. The offense had several chances to make it a two score game, which likely would have made the difference. They didn't get it done. That doesn't mean they WON'T get it done as they mature, but today they didn't.

As far as taking away Amendola and Edelman, of course it would have been nice to take that way. But don't you think Brady had some say in that?

+1... this game was lost from the offense not finding a way to get points when they had the opportunities in the 2nd half.

LOL

I'm tellin ya.

89 plays by the NE D, nearly 40 minutes ToP for them too.

Only 61 plays for us.

And with Brady as their crown jewel throwing to Edelman, Amendola who wasn't even 100%, and Thompkins, an undrafted rookie, and the D still made them look good.

... oh, and I didn't see CJ throw-up.

I guess that they decided that if they kept giving him the ball that the fans would throw up.

So much for that 2K season. Maybe Spiller can now focus on just playing like a starting RB when he's the bell cow instead of mouthin' off about what a great season he'll have.

A very disappointing first game. I've never seen NE play worse with Brady under center. In any other division they don't have a chance to win it.

Look at the receivers Brady lost in the off season, plus TE Gronk, and WRDobson out injured.

The Patriots still managed 101 yards out of the backup RB with a 7.2 YPC avg. Edelman 7 catches for 79 yards and 2 TD's.

EJ in his first game (with CJ not doing very good) performed very well IMO

There's a lot of people minimizing Shane Vereen in this thread. He's very quick, and was expected to replace Aaron Hernandez's role this year, splitting out wide and coming out of the backfield. He's a very solid player, was pretty decent at Cal, and ate up Houston during the playoffs last year. Everyone minimizing him as a "backup RB" I think is mistaken.

Compared to the Bills' last game against the Patriots, in New England, btw, the Bills' offense gained 195 fewer yards while its defense gave up 84 more yards. Clearly progress has been made.

Why don't you also look up how many yards per offensive play the Pats gained in each game last year compared to today.

You guys are really something else...

There's a lot of people minimizing Shane Vereen in this thread. He's very quick, and was expected to replace Aaron Hernandez's role this year, splitting out wide and coming out of the backfield. He's a very solid player, was pretty decent at Cal, and ate up Houston during the playoffs last year. Everyone minimizing him as a "backup RB" I think is mistaken.

Yep, he looked great in the preseason, as well.

Night and day difference in schemes between Wansteedt and Pettine. Wansteedt proclaimed blitzing would "expose" the secondary. The mentality of this defense is night and day as well. Punishing ball carriers.

Well Pettine proved that wrong today. With a bunch of back up CB's and safety's, this was one of the srongest games by the secondary in recent history against arguably the best QB in the NFL.

As I said last year, scheme and coaching matters...big time!

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Pettine couldn't stop the Pats in the second half.

Maybe that's because the hurry-up-and-punt offense only gave them fleeting moments of rest throughout the entire game. They were probably, and rightfully, gassed by the fourth quarter.

Whey even take issue with it? Seriously, see how many times Brady has been held to 6 points in the entire 2nd half...

Challenge accepted... sort of... I got bored eventually... BUT, between 2001 and 2009 the answer would be 21 times, including playoffs and Super Bowls. I know, more than what you'd think, huh? That averages out to just under 3 times per season for that stretch. Of them, only 9 were NE* losses. Go figure.

I have a completely different take on Hackett. I very much liked the game he called. He stayed with the run the entire game, which to me was the main reason that EJ had very little pressure on him when he went back to pass. Most every drive the Bills had a chance to keep it going but a penalty or dropped pass seemed to stop us. It was EJ's first game and the major reason he looked so composed was because we didn't make him do too much (I don't want to take away from Manuel's composure). The Pats gambled to take away CJs ability to break it but I have no problem with keeping running CJ. Our problems on offense were penalties and fumbles and drops not Hackett. I think CJ excelled because of Hackett.

I have a completely different take on Hackett. I very much liked the game he called. He stayed with the run the entire game, which to me was the main reason that EJ had very little pressure on him when he went back to pass. Most every drive the Bills had a chance to keep it going but a penalty or dropped pass seemed to stop us. It was EJ's first game and the major reason he looked so composed was because we didn't make him do too much (I don't want to take away from Manuel's composure). The Pats gambled to take away CJs ability to break it but I have no problem with keeping running CJ. Our problems on offense were penalties and fumbles and drops not Hackett. I think CJ excelled because of Hackett.

We'll see about CJ next week, but he was not good up the middle at all.

The Pats* game plan was to take away CJ, make EJ beat you = smart plan.

The only things we should have done differently; was go for it on 4th and 1, run FJ more once you saw he was able to make some yardage (have them both in the game CJ as a WR), during the last 2 series I would have slowed down and went towards a FJ clock burning mode with high percentage passes, and during our last series I would have called it differently.

That being said, our untimely penalties and drops killed us. I don't hate SJ, but he needs to make that catch...

Whey even take issue with it? Seriously, see how many times Brady has been held to 6 points in the entire 2nd half...Mr "39" 4th quarter comebacks simply doesn't have that happen to him, yet our defense pulled it off.

This is why

Tom Brady to Danny Amendola on third down: 7 of 8 for 84 yards and seven first downs. Average distance needed: 6.4 yards.

At some point don't you make someone else beat you?

We'll see about CJ next week, but he was not good up the middle at all.

To me the Patriots gambled big and won big against CJ. They brought everyone up to shut him down (and not at all what they did when Fred was in). But if CJ was able to break through he was gone. He just never did it so you have to give them credit.

To me the Patriots gambled big and won big against CJ. They brought everyone up to shut him down (and not at all what they did when Fred was in). But if CJ was able to break through he was gone. He just never did it so you have to give them credit.

Why not use the fullback? I hear you but they ran the same 1-2 plays with Spiller over and over again. Why not motion Spiller into the z spot? They only did that 1 or 2 times. Gotta mix it up a bit more.

The Pats* game plan was to take away CJ, make EJ beat you = smart plan.

The only things we should have done differently; was go for it on 4th and 1, run FJ more once you saw he was able to make some yardage (have them both in the game CJ as a WR), during the last 2 series I would have slowed down and went towards a FJ clock burning mode with high percentage passes, and during our last series I would have called it differently.

That being said, our untimely penalties and drops killed us. I don't hate SJ, but he needs to make that catch...

Agree totally. The only real problem I had with the coaching was not going for it on 4th (although I don't think it was a no brainier just that I personally would have gone for it). And on defense the last Pats TD I didn't at all like that we only seemingly rushed three guys on third down. Otherwise I thought all three coaches had a decent game overall. We lost because of turnovers, penalties, dropped passes and a few mistakes.