We may not blitz Brady on Sunday

BisonMan

This is just an unsubstantiated hunch on my part, but I have this feeling that the days of blatant Tom Brady favoritism are over. I have NOTHING to back this up. It's just a feeling I have. Guess we'll see in 4 days.

I'll believe that when I see it.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost every QB will pick apart a defense if you only rush three or four. Every QB does poorly with a rush up the middle - especially a QB with a bum knee. I have said for years the only way to beat Brady is to blitz early and often - prefarably up the middle. Welker is gone and his replacement has not proven he can take the hits that Welker took. I would leave our LB's in to stop the run and blast Amendola. Even if he makes it through the game he will be a non-factor late in the game. They do not have the WR's to outrun McKelvin or Brooks. I would play a two deep safety zone, man-underneath, and blitz mercilessly. My concern is their backs out of the backfield. I really don't know how well they catch and run. That is how you beat blitzing LB's. Anyone can sit at 5-8 yards off the ball and wait for the hot reciever to turn around. It is the back that will kill you in open space against a slow LB that may have to cross the field to cover them.

The way to beat the pats is with offense. Keep Brady off the field. Our offense needs to keep short passes, run the ball effectively, and convert on third down. Run the clock, set the tempo, throw in occasional blitzes. If the score is close near the end, that is when to become aggressive. No one ever comes out and beats the snot out of the pats from start to finish. Teams beat them at or near the end of the game. Just like 2011. Control the clock, and keep Brady and their offense off the field.

Given the Bills' weaknesses in the secondary, this may be a shrewd move. Dropping more into coverage also may help the Bills from getting gashed by the Pats running game, which is now very good.

Thoughts?

Doesn't matter if you blitz or drop back, you still have two horrendous matchups: Brady vs Bills secondary and Pats running game vs Bills run defense.

Doesn't matter if you blitz or drop back, you still have two horrendous matchups: Brady vs Bills secondary and Pats running game vs Bills run defense.

Is Brady passing to himself? Who are his primary receivers? And who is the Pats' running back? And do you think Pettine's defense will have the same lack of success as Wannestadt's?

Almost every QB will pick apart a defense if you only rush three or four. Every QB does poorly with a rush up the middle - especially a QB with a bum knee. I have said for years the only way to beat Brady is to blitz early and often - prefarably up the middle. Welker is gone and his replacement has not proven he can take the hits that Welker took. I would leave our LB's in to stop the run and blast Amendola. Even if he makes it through the game he will be a non-factor late in the game. They do not have the WR's to outrun McKelvin or Brooks. I would play a two deep safety zone, man-underneath, and blitz mercilessly. My concern is their backs out of the backfield. I really don't know how well they catch and run. That is how you beat blitzing LB's. Anyone can sit at 5-8 yards off the ball and wait for the hot reciever to turn around. It is the back that will kill you in open space against a slow LB that may have to cross the field to cover them.

you have found the gem.

We dont have ANY slow or stupid linebackers anymore. Young, why yes. yes we do. Young and fast . we have that. Young and hard hitting, another check.

can cover ? theres the rub brother. In theory we look decent enough to not get smoked by a back creating havoc after Brady checking and dumping. On paper he may not have that much time anyways.

Press and pressure(not necc blitz). Safeties on top as needed. good recipe

Edited by 3rdand12

I have half a mind, a full head of steam...and no time to just destroy some of the nonsense here.

Good defenses only rush 4. Got a problem with that? Bring it. I will take a challenge, but won't have time until next week to get back to you...

You see, a 3-4 D they commit an LB to rush - JJ Watt? A 4-3 they send the 4. The 3 backers? The MLB doesn't blitz. A blitz is when the play is a designed rush of the QB. The MLB may check up on the RB - may even go in to blitz but that doesn't mean they are rushing the QB from the go. He will make his read and may see that only 3 guys cross the LOS.

The OLB's do not rush, they contain, in most cases, at the very least, look for a TE who doesn't go out for a pass, check the RB from a screen or dump out. Just because you see 5 or 6 guys around the pocket does not mean more then 4 are rushing the QB.

I have half a mind, a full head of steam...and no time to just destroy some of the nonsense here.

Good defenses only rush 4. Got a problem with that? Bring it. I will take a challenge, but won't have time until next week to get back to you...

You see, a 3-4 D they commit an LB to rush - JJ Watt? A 4-3 they send the 4. The 3 backers? The MLB doesn't blitz. A blitz is when the play is a designed rush of the QB. The MLB may check up on the RB - may even go in to blitz but that doesn't mean they are rushing the QB from the go. He will make his read and may see that only 3 guys cross the LOS.

The OLB's do not rush, they contain, in most cases, at the very least, look for a TE who doesn't go out for a pass, check the RB from a screen or dump out. Just because you see 5 or 6 guys around the pocket does not mean more then 4 are rushing the QB.

Not sure what your definition of "blitz" is. In a 3-4, if the two inside backers rush along with the 3 down lineman regardless of the RB's route, is that a blitz by your definition? It is in mine. How about if the 3 down lineman all rush along with a ILB and the slot corner who leaves his WR to the FS? That's a corner blitz in my book. Do good teams do this? Well, the 2012 Jets did things like that frequently and they were a top-5 defense (i.e. "good").

Good article here on this with nifty graphics and video: http://www.nfl.com/n...py-ways-in-2013

Edited by BisonMan

Not sure what your definition of "blitz" is. In a 3-4, if the two inside backers rush along with the 3 down lineman regardless of the RB's route, is that a blitz by your definition? It is in mine. How about if the 3 down lineman all rush along with a ILB and the slot corner who leaves his WR to the FS? That's a corner blitz in my book. Do good teams do this? Well, the 2012 Jets did things like that frequently and they were a top-5 defense (i.e. "good").

Good article here on this with nifty graphics and video: http://www.nfl.com/n...py-ways-in-2013

in shirt... The jack isn't tasked to primarily rush. The nickel or dimemplayer blitzing is different.

You're on to something. Not disagreeing but the 3-4 ilbs don't always rush.

I think we go uber aggressive early see if we can get to him with some blitzes but I would expect to basically be going back and forth from heavy blitzes and heavy coverage packages. Basically go from 7-8 men blitzes to 8 in coverage no in between I think that's the way he will go.

Can we define a coverage sack and a blitz sack here? The Jets got coverage sacks. You can rattle Brady by disrupting his reads. If I have time I will post a 1,000 pager but there are a million myths on him.

You do not beat Brady by getting in his face. He has poise to overcome it and officials to call pe alties. You don't beat him covering his guys, either. He is good enough to get the ball where it needs to be. You don't scare him by forcing him to run at your MLB. He sends the ball right there.

You beat Brady by being everywhere and make him go beyond the third read. I would love for PFF to do a study on Bradys conpletitions on the 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th reads. I know it drops quickly

We beat Brady by collapsing the pocket and staying disciplined in our coverage with 5-6 guys playing pass

Someone who understands, hallelujah!

One of my favorite football memories is the 2010 divisional game against the NY Jets.

The Jets brought enough pressure to collapse the pocket, and showed blitz a fair bit, followed through enough to keep the reads honest. Then they took away the middle of the field and covered deep well enough that Brady literally had no where to go for the seconds it took to complete the collapse and free someone to charge after him. Lots of hits and sacks, coverage hits every one.

I remember Brady wandering around the backfield like a homeless refugee looking for an open receiver while DLmen broke free to chase him down.

I did so enjoy that.

Ahhhhhhh.

Which way would you prefer to lose, a game that the defense laid back and Brady slowly picked it apart, or a game where you hit brady a bunch of times, but he beat the blitz and made big plays?

And which approach (even in a loss) might put a bit of apprehension into Brady for the rematch played later in the season?

I think the answer is obvious.

I want it in Brady's head EVERY TIME, all week in preparation for the Bills, that it will be a physical game, even if he expects to win by a large margin.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

I think the Giants two shiny SB rings would have something to say about that.

except they didnt blitz him much the front 4 got to him, and not many teams can do that w the Pats O line.

The Jets scheme wouldnt work because they can run the ball very well now with ridley and Vareen