Patriots roster looks weak

billsfan_34

People tend to focus on Brady and not on his supporting cast, which I think is a mistake. When they won their SBs, their defense was very good or excellent. Once their defense began to wane, so did their SB wins.

While it's true that their SB winning ways seemed to stop after their defense took a step down .... let's not lose sight of the fact that, during this same 8 year timeframe, no team has won more games than the Pats have. 98 wins versus just 30 losses actually. Further, they also have been to 2 additional SB's in this timeframe.

The point being, though they haven't won a SB in 8 years, they have still been a superior team, despite not having a top defense.

Edited by Pneumonic

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't matter, they have Brady and will win at least 10 games. Remember the last season Manning played in Indy when they made the playoffs but might have been a 3 or 4 win team without him? Hall of Fame QBs might be the biggest difference maker in all of sports...goalies on a hot streak in NHL playoff games are right up there tho...they can steal Stanley Cups from better teams...

Doesn't matter, they have Brady and will win at least 10 games. Remember the last season Manning played in Indy when they made the playoffs but might have been a 3 or 4 win team without him? Hall of Fame QBs might be the biggest difference maker in all of sports...goalies on a hot streak in NHL playoff games are right up there tho...they can steal Stanley Cups from better teams...

This. As long as Brady plays at the level he has in the past (including this preseason) and the O-Line plays well, the Pats will be a tough team to beat.

With that said, they are not invincible...

Edited by billsfan1959

Once SpyGate came out they stopped looking invincible. A defense that knows what plays are coming tend to look better. I always suspected the Pats cheated. Look at games in the early 2000's. Their D looked like they had ESP.

PTR

Actually that 2007 Pats team (spygate was revealed that season) seemed like the best one they ever had. The O-line was the best I had ever seen. They had ESP, telepathy AND clairvoyance. Nobody touched Brady that year. I remember they didn't even need sketchy calls like tuck rules and "no touching Brady rules" that year because he was untouchable. But, they probably already had all the video and notes saved and copied before Goodell burned it all.

Don't underestimate their run game. I imagine they'll be able to really pound opponents into submission this year.

+1. I'm looking for 150-200 on Sunday. There's no way you can put the ball in the air 40 times with that WR squad. Then again...our DBs are ....well...light on NFL success...

It'll be an interesting game.

I know there's the scoreboard thing, but the Bills did look much better in the last 4 games vs Pats than the scoreboard showed.

I think that there will be a few players going into Sunday's game with a bigger chip on their shoulder. Freddy has to still be steaming about Spikes' dirty hit that caused a fumble, and Spiller wants redemption for that fumble at the goal line. Pettine's defenses have played well against Pats. If they can bottle up Ridley, there's a good chance for a competitive game on Sunday.

That's downright optimistic of you! One little known (or forgotten) fact about the Pats* is that they led the league in rushing attempts last season. People think it's all Brady, but they rely on the running game a ton. That will be the key to the Bills keeping it close.

The Pats defense last year was 25th in yards against but 9th in points against. They were a mixed bag. They did get a lot of turnovers (led the league in forced fumbles). They also had one of the higher fumble recovery rates, which is basically luck. They were 5th in INTs. They would have been one of the worst defenses if it wasn't for the turnovers. Of course, having Tommy run up the score forces trailing teams to throw more and that leads to INTs.

People tend to focus on Brady and not on his supporting cast, which I think is a mistake. When they won their SBs, their defense was very good or excellent. Once their defense began to wane, so did their SB wins. They've been explosive offensively, primarily with the pass but Brady has had a good line and good weapons (Moss, Welker, Gronk, Mr. Angel Dust). This year, their defense is still not very good and most of Brady's weapons are gone.

I think the Pats will focus on the run game more this year to take the pressure off of Brady's receivers. They were 7th in rushing yards last year.

Yup, also causes opposing offensive players to maybe try and do too much to try and make plays leading to fumbles since they are behind and have to put up points...

Best defense can be a good offense at times...gets the other team out of their comfort zone

However fumble recoveries are complete luck and have been shown to have no consistency other than trending towards 50-50 if they are skewed a lot one way or the other...

Edited by matter2003

That's downright optimistic of you! One little known (or forgotten) fact about the Pats* is that they led the league in rushing attempts last season. People think it's all Brady, but they rely on the running game a ton. That will be the key to the Bills keeping it close.

The biggest key in the game on that side of the ball, IMHO. If the Bills cannot stop the Pats run, without having to commit an extra guy in the box, then the Pats will simply spread them Bills out wide and take away any pass rush required to pressure Brady off his timing game in hopes of creating needed turnovers.

The Bills unsettled safety situation is also a grave concern. Probably the best way to hurt the Pats passing game is to jam their wideouts up at the LOS in order to get them off their timing routes so that Brady can't hit them where he expects them to be. Without solid safety play, I'm not sure Pettine can afford to call many aggressive calls up at the LOS. If he does, then surely Brady will make them safeties pay, dearly.

Not optimistic, but realistic.

Pats' roster does have some glaring holes, and the Bills have matched up well with them over the last two seasons. Where the Bills didn't fare as well has been in the psychological department - 2nd half collapse in game 1 and TJ's route running in game 2. If Bills play a disciplined game that the coach is trying to instill, then they have more than a chance.

Once SpyGate came out they stopped looking invincible. A defense that knows what plays are coming tend to look better. I always suspected the Pats cheated. Look at games in the early 2000's. Their D looked like they had ESP.

PTR

PTR,

You don't know spygate at ALL. was the OFFENSE got the benefit of stealing the D signals of the opposing team. The D of ANY team could never do this since the plays are called in to the QB via head phones.

So your "cheating" thought on D was a bold face WRONG!

People tend to focus on Brady and not on his supporting cast, which I think is a mistake. When they won their SBs, their defense was very good or excellent. Once their defense began to wane, so did their SB wins. They've been explosive offensively, primarily with the pass but Brady has had a good line and good weapons (Moss, Welker, Gronk, Mr. Angel Dust). This year, their defense is still not very good and most of Brady's weapons are gone.

Umm in 2006 they were a Bugs Caldwell catch away from SB #4 at the time. So I disagree, Brady makes the players better around him.

We've gotten them before...only to blow it in the second half.

Billichick has always studied his prey and adapted. Gailey was pretty brilliant at times devising innovative schemes, but consistently failed to adapt.

If we play good football, our ability to adapt will be key in winning this game. If we don't play good football, they could outscore us by 40-someodd points.

If Bills play a disciplined game that the coach is trying to instill, then they have more than a chance.

Hopefully not exemplified by their average of 9.75 penalties per preseason game, for 69.5 yards per game.

Also of note, the Patriots have an NFL-high 14 rookies on the 53-man roster.

Not optimistic, but realistic.

Pats' roster does have some glaring holes, and the Bills have matched up well with them over the last two seasons. Where the Bills didn't fare as well has been in the psychological department - 2nd half collapse in game 1 and TJ's route running in game 2. If Bills play a disciplined game that the coach is trying to instill, then they have more than a chance.

In the game at RWS last season the Pats* completely exploited Wannstedt's vanilla, here-it-is-look-at-it scheme to torch the Bills on the ground. That wasn't psychology, it was poor coaching (i.e., lack of adjustment).

i agree the Bills have been able to move the ball and score consistently on the Pats* defense going back to 2010...and that defense is not necessarily any better going into 2013.

I absolutely believe the Bills have a chance.

In the game at RWS last season the Pats* completely exploited Wannstedt's vanilla, here-it-is-look-at-it scheme to torch the Bills on the ground. That wasn't psychology, it was poor coaching (i.e., lack of adjustment).

i agree the Bills have been able to move the ball and score consistently on the Pats* defense going back to 2010...and that defense is not necessarily any better going into 2013.

The second half was 100% half mental. You don't give up so many points in a half without a mental beat down. It was a total team collapse. It wasn't just the defense responsible for three consecutive turnovers

The second half was 100% half mental. You don't give up so many points in a half without a mental beat down. It was a total team collapse. It wasn't just the defense responsible for three consecutive turnovers

If you believe I'm implying the Bills under Gailey were mentally tough, please allow me to disavow you of that notion. Having confidence your coaches are putting you in a position to succeed can certainly help with the mental side of things, however.

I am expecting to win...it sounds crazy to those around me in NC, but I really expect the start of something special...or the start of a second antidepressant med for me....

PS - The * in Pats* a tribute to spygate and the tainted championships? Just wondering.

The Patriots D, even in the past few years, has been good enough to get the job done. If I'm not mistaken they've ranked in the top 10 in yards in the NFL the past 3 years and been close to that in points allowed as well.

The Pats D has ranked 25th, 31st and 25th in yards allowed the past 3 years. Not very impressive. It`s not like they face alot of high powered offenses within their division either.