(Update) Jim Leonard back in Buffalo

RayFinkle

Definitely didn't say nor do I think to "give up" on A. Williams. Just that Leonard coming on the team, with knowledge of Pettine's style of defense, having been in the league for more than a couple of months and actually being a pretty decent safety, people still look for a reason to bash him. THAT to me is what's getting out of hand on TBD.

I'm not saying we should all be celebrating like how we did the signing of Mario, but if Leonard signs, how is that a bad thing?

It's not :-)

I think that happened when Gilmore went down and they saw what the other corners on the roster could do. But I could be wrong.

Yeah. And though I--by no means--think AW back to CB is a good thing, it beats our present alternative, no?

Edited by The Big Cat

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Knows the system, still plays pretty well. Good vet signing

In case Byrd is unable to play, Leonhard should be a guy who can play right away, since he's familiar with the system and has played in the league a long time. I also think signing him means we cut Searcy who has struggled. I doubt we carry 6 safeties.

In regards to the whole AWilliams at CB thing, I doubt it, for now. We have 5 guys there, and personally, I'd rather live and die by those 5 and get them more experience rather than move AW, who has sucked at corner, over there and create a problem in the safety position.

TBH I'd rather see what Brooks and McKelvin can do. Brooks especially. I think people forget just how bad AW was at corner. Too move him when he's playing adequately at safety is asinine IMO.

Keep in mind, Leonhard is only a short term situation and we'll need to continue to address the secondary, but it is a good start.

I think Leonard is a veteran player at a position we're too thin. IMO Duke Williams and Meeks are clearly not ready to play on the varsity team. Add to this Byrd's injury, (and Searcy being average at best) and we had to do something.

Still, 6 safeties on the final 53? Wow.

When you (and you, and you) carp and B word about dumb moves by the FO, you do realize, don't you, that this is the same FO you were feeling so good about in other actions. It comes down to this: if you trust Brandon, Whaley, Marrone, Pettine, et al, then cut them some slack on the Leonhard signing. You know, it's just possible they know more than you do.

So because you like someone, and like some or even most of their decisions, you cannot criticize other ones? You love your wife or your gf and think she is really smart so everything she does is smart? :wallbash: This is a message board, to talk about and discuss the Bills, both favorably and unfavorably. Each decision they make is up for argument.

Are you serious?

Leonhard just got cut from one of the worst secondaries in the league

He is not an upgrade on what we had

FYI, The Saints secondary has some pretty good players and Wilson can't even start for the lousy Titans. Like I said, he's a JAG although I will admit he's a solid citizen and good in a locker room.

Well he is slow and solidly white.

Guess I'm having trouble understanding this part of your post. Maybe I'm reading too much into it or took it too literal. If so my apologies, if not, I was under the impression that we as bills fans (or at least that I have seen) didn't really go down these roads. Again, my apologies if I took it out of context.

George Wilson was JAG. Jim Leonhard is a heady player who knows Pettine's system from his days with the Jets.

I will take Leonhard over the terrible Duke and Meeks combo. But even well on the back nine, Wilson is the better player by a considerable margin. Especially for a defense where safeties have the same set of responsibilities. Wilson had 150 tackles the past couple years playing in an ill-managed defense but his best position was FS and he was miscast because the Bills already had a FS in Byrd.

Leonhard is just a centerfielder. It's hard to count him out......the Bills should have never cut him in the first place.....but I just don't see him being able to hold up in run defense or cover a TE as well as Wilson. He's the kind of guy who fits as a reserve on a very good team who can come in at the end and cherry pick a game sealing interception. Giving you four quarters of football....not so much. That said....I expect him will just spell Byrd on once in a while.....I fully expect Byrd to play thru his PF.

Are you serious?

Leonard just got cut from one of the worst secondaries in the league

He is not an upgrade on what we had

If he's not an upgrade over Duke Williams then the Bills are even worse in the secondary that I imagined.

Edited by vincec

I will take Leonhard over the terrible Duke and Meeks combo. But even well on the back nine, Wilson is the better player by a considerable margin. Especially for a defense where safeties have the same set of responsibilities. Wilson had 150 tackles the past couple years playing in an ill-managed defense but his best position was FS and he was miscast because the Bills already had a FS in Byrd.

Leonhard is just a centerfielder. It's hard to count him out......the Bills should have never cut him in the first place.....but I just don't see him being able to hold up in run defense or cover a TE as well as Wilson. He's the kind of guy who fits as a reserve on a very good team who can come in at the end and cherry pick a game sealing interception. Giving you four quarters of football....not so much. That said....I expect him will just spell Byrd on once in a while.....I fully expect Byrd to play thru his PF.

You can cite all of the tackle stats that you want, but George Wilson digressed in the last couple of years. When he had chances to make impact plays in games, he didn't. Color me as not impressed.

That being said, Leonhard is a depth player at this stage of his career. He's Byrd insurance as a guy who knows Pettine's defensive system.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

You can cite all of the tackle stats that you want, but George Wilson digressed in the last couple of years. When he had chances to make impact plays in games, he didn't. Color me as not impressed.

That being said, Leonhard is a depth player at this stage of his career. He's Byrd insurance as a guy who knows Pettine's defensive system.

IMO, last season Wilson had a bad year. Pretty much everyone on the team had a bad year with the exception of Byrd, and with Mario, Kyle, Gilmore having stretches of good play. Two years ago, Wilson was very, very good until he got hurt, and far better than Leonhard ever played in his life. Wilson is a significantly better player at this point in his career, if only evidenced by the last couple contracts each of the players has received.

I mentioned this in another thread......it's one thing to cut players when they are in decline......it's another to do so when you have nobody as good to fill their spot.

Wilson would be the second or third best safety on this roster......on a defense that intends to keep 6 safeties.....and purportedly play 3 at a time quite often.

One key difference between the Bills and a team like the Redskins is that Washington doesn't cut every player that goes into decline.

PFF ranked DeAngelo Hall below a cast of now out of work CB's in terms of his overall performance last year........yet he remains there......because they don't have a better option.

London Fletcher had his worst tackle production in over a decade and is clearly in decline in pass coverage.....yet he remains a Redskin.....because they don't have a better option.

Santana Moss has been a 40 catch per season receiver the past two years........yet he remains.......cuz they don't have a better option.

When The Buffalo News ran that article the other day about how the Bills don't fit the mold of a team that is ready to turn it around.............they were right and the above reason is why.

The Bills are always self inflicting wounds. Sometimes it's letting a high draft pick walk on his second contract and having to draft his replacement in round 1 that year........that's the ultimate water treading philosophy. But other times it's just hacking away at your depth and lesser starters in order to save another few million when they are already $20M under the cap. They don't all have to be All Pros but the more good performers you have the better chance you have of turning around your fortunes.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Wilson isn't starting for the Titans, wouldn't be starting for the Bills, and will be a backup like Leonhard. Leonhard is a year and a half younger and has had success in Pettine's defense.

I mentioned this in another thread......it's one thing to cut players when they are in decline......it's another to do so when you have nobody as good to fill their spot.

Wilson would be the second or third best safety on this roster......on a defense that intends to keep 6 safeties.....and purportedly play 3 at a time quite often.

One key difference between the Bills and a team like the Redskins is that Washington doesn't cut every player that goes into decline.

PFF ranked DeAngelo Hall below a cast of now out of work CB's in terms of his overall performance last year........yet he remains there......because they don't have a better option.

London Fletcher had his worst tackle production in over a decade and is clearly in decline in pass coverage.....yet he remains a Redskin.....because they don't have a better option.

Santana Moss has been a 40 catch per season receiver the past two years........yet he remains.......cuz they don't have a better option.

When The Buffalo News ran that article the other day about how the Bills don't fit the mold of a team that is ready to turn it around.............they were right and the above reason is why.

The Bills are always self inflicting wounds. Sometimes it's letting a high draft pick walk on his second contract and having to draft his replacement in round 1 that year........that's the ultimate water treading philosophy. But other times it's just hacking away at your depth and lesser starters in order to save another few million when they are already $20M under the cap. They don't all have to be All Pros but the more good performers you have the better chance you have of turning around your fortunes.

And if the Skins have to rely on Hall or Fletcher, they're no better off than if the Bills have to rely on their backups. What's your point here?

Safeties are fine if you play a lot of zone, or against a team that features all TE's.... :flirt:

I have feeling on plays with multiple receivers sets, we move A. Williams to cover a WR as CB and put another safety on field.. One of main reasons this regime liked Aaron as safety, as he can move over and cover WR's too (or so they think, maybe they didnt watch him past 2 yrs!)

For some reason, this offseason the Bills jettisoned quality backups and replaced them with lesser ones.

Wilson for Leonard. T. Jacskon for Kolb (for Tuel). Reinhart for Legursky. There are probably others...

It's just an odd, odd franchise. Thank god we finally got a QB or it would be utterly hopeless to watch them.