Preseason: Buffalo drew the short straw

BillsWatch

Cover-Two: Examining highs and lows of the NFL preseason

I actually thought Bills were doing pretty well regarding injuries first two weeks but then things fell apart

http://nfl.si.com/2013/08/30/nfl-preseason-highs-lows/

2. The preseason’s biggest loser was …

Burke: Anyone who plays for Buffalo. EJ Manuel, Kevin Kolb, Stephon Gilmore, Doug Legursky … the list of injured personnel for the Bills goes on and on. Now, the Bills have to ready themselves for a Week 1 showdown with the Patriots, possibly with an undrafted rookie quarterback at the helm and definitely without Gilmore, one of their top young defenders. Every preseason, one or two teams get hammered by injuries. This year, Buffalo drew the short straw.

I know that sounds awful, but the list does not really "go on and on" beyond those four names, one of which is a backup guard, another a stopgap vet QB, and the third an injury so minor it will not keep the player from appearing in week one. The big loss is Gilmore, sure, but it is one injury of significance from the starting team. Hardly a catastrophe, except in the eyes of a very superficial national analyst. So buck up, Bills fans!

P.S. I am not able to quote previous posts anymore for some reason, even though I have been using the same browser (safari) and same MacBook Pro for years. Is there some compatibility issue out there that anyone knows about?

I know that sounds awful, but the list does not really "go on and on" beyond those four names, one of which is a backup guard, another a stopgap vet QB, and the third an injury so minor it will not keep the player from appearing in week one. The big loss is Gilmore, sure, but it is one injury of significance from the starting team. Hardly a catastrophe, except in the eyes of a very superficial national analyst. So buck up, Bills fans!

P.S. I am not able to quote previous posts anymore for some reason, even though I have been using the same browser (safari) and same MacBook Pro for years. Is there some compatibility issue out there that anyone knows about?

Agreed, but the injuries left us waiffah theen in critical places.

Safari 5.1.9 user here. System 10.6.8.

No issues with quoting other posts.

I've had the same problem for a few months, which I posted about in the customer service forum. I've had to switch to Chrome when I post here. It's annoying, but it's unclear what the source of the problem is.

Waa, waa, waa!

Injuries happen. What hungry player is gonna take advantage and "Wally Pipp" somebody on the team? Step up and make it difficult for the coaches to even consider removing you from the lineup?

GO BILLS!!!

The Gilmore injury is the killer. Other teams had it worse than us, imo

True. Other teams had better depth though. The Bills were wafer thin from the start. Now they are hittin the dumpster. It's the same old story.....new coach comes in and the front office once again shows no sense of urgency to get the right talent in place to set him up for his best possible start.

They've looked far worse though. And recently. 2009 and 2010 were both worse.

2009 they started the most inexperienced OL since the NFL merger and in 2010 they started the season with Trent Edwards at QB a full year after it had become completely clear that he was simply awful........and it actually was starting to look like the team was going to have it's worst record ever until Fitz got a hot hand and they squeezed out a few victories.

For this team, whether they are competitive or not will come down to whether EJ Manuel plays well. He will need to be able to run the ball........because he just isn't a stand in the pocket and pick you apart type QB.....but he looked like a guy who just has the overall skillset to keep drives going and finish them with points... one way or another.

That is what the team needs. If he can do that the rest of the team is going to seem a WHOLE LOT better. Then the typical crowd of contract panickers will start demanding extensions for Ron Brooks and D'Norris Searcy. :rolleyes:

Cover-Two: Examining highs and lows of the NFL preseason

I actually thought Bills were doing pretty well regarding injuries first two weeks but then things fell apart

http://nfl.si.com/2013/08/30/nfl-preseason-highs-lows/

2. The preseason’s biggest loser was …

Burke: Anyone who plays for Buffalo. EJ Manuel, Kevin Kolb, Stephon Gilmore, Doug Legursky … the list of injured personnel for the Bills goes on and on. Now, the Bills have to ready themselves for a Week 1 showdown with the Patriots, possibly with an undrafted rookie quarterback at the helm and definitely without Gilmore, one of their top young defenders. Every preseason, one or two teams get hammered by injuries. This year, Buffalo drew the short straw.

Other than Kolb and Smith ... what "value" starters did the Bills lose for the season? The list for other teams is much worse.

A very good English professor once advised the class to never use etcetera in one's writing (and by extension, equivalent phrases like "the list goes on and on"). It conveys very effectively that you've run out of items to list.

I agree.....except when the list is clearly very long and the audience is well aware of it. Like when discussing Bills losses in the past 13 years.