I have a dream 50 years later

Chef Jim

With reapect to the OP. I really have no idea why this thread is still open here. I've have threads locked, posts deleted, warning points and I believe a 72 hour suspension in the past for saying less regarding political and government issues.

Mods, sounds like we're picking and choosing what stays open based on personal preference.

Not being a d&$k just to be a d&$k here. Just saying though.

Aw quit being a d&ck! But seriiously I was thinking that I didn't want this to ge moved. I'm guilty here too. I just don't understand why it's zero tolerance with that though. You can bring politics into almost ANY discussion just as long as it doesn't evolve into mud slinging what's the harm?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw quit being a d&ck! But seriiously I was thinking that I didn't want this to ge moved. I'm guilty here too. I just don't understand why it's zero tolerance with that though. You can bring politics into almost ANY discussion just as long as it doesn't evolve into mud slinging what's the harm?

just saying man. People have said less and been reprimanded more than what's going in in this thread. Just an observation.

Thinking about the world losing such an amazing human being far too early saddens me. Seeing so many people, smart people and good people, saying that Dr. King's dream is dead - well that's equally as sad to me.

His dream is alive and well with me. His dream is preached to my 10-year-old son every chance I get when a good example presents itself. His dream is far from dead.

just saying man. People have said less and been reprimanded more than what's going in in this thread. Just an observation.

You're absolutely right and that's why I was worried it'd get moved. Once again I don't get te zero tolerance.

I'm embarrassed to even have to ask this, but...did he write his own speeches? I'm guessing he did (they've got that almost poetic style of verse that's all but stereotypical of Baptist sermons, and match his preacher's delivery perfectly), but I don't actually know.

somone upthead said they study King, and there are some questions as to if he borrowed ideas. I have no idea on that one way or the other.

aWhile I am not a King expert or researcher by any means, I believe that MLK did employ speech writers. Heard an interview the other day, and MLK was not getting the reaction from the crowd he wanted, he went off script and started ad libbing, the phrase " I have a dream " was not in the scripted speech. All content after he first says the phrase "I have a dream" was ad libbed.

Now, in the interview I heard, the biographer said not totally off the cuff, that he had the generall ideas of the thoughts/phrases in his early drafts ,and had used I had a dream in earlier speeches , but that day was the first time he actually used those exact words for the speech.

Truly Amazing

Edited by plenzmd1

personally i don't see where anything went off the rails in this thread...i think it has been a civil and very respectful conversation about the events of 50 years ago and how we may have lost our way a bit...

I'm embarrassed to even have to ask this, but...did he write his own speeches? I'm guessing he did (they've got that almost poetic style of verse that's all but stereotypical of Baptist sermons, and match his preacher's delivery perfectly), but I don't actually know.

Yes...and No. I had heard this story before about King going extemporaneous in the dream speech....and found this link after reading your comment.

I'm no expert on King, but it seems as if he had a 'typical' speech writing team (for this event anyway). The great part about the 'dream' speech is that he apparently abandoned the pre-written speech spontaneously. As a result, we were given one of the greatest speeches of all time. That part, although not written down initially, was all King.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carminegallo/2013/08/27/public-speaking-how-mlk-improvised-second-half-of-dream-speech/

With reapect to the OP. I really have no idea why this thread is still open here. I've have threads locked, posts deleted, warning points and I believe a 72 hour suspension in the past for saying less regarding political and government issues.

Mods, sounds like we're picking and choosing what stays open based on personal preference.

Not being a d&$k just to be a d&$k here. Just saying though.

You definitely ain't wrong.

Of course, that's a good way to get this moved to the customer service board. How 'bout we try for the baseball forum next...what'd MLK think about the Brewers?

Of course, that's a good way to get this moved to the customer service board. How 'bout we try for the baseball forum next...what'd MLK think about the Brewers?

I wonder if Stokely Carmichael knows any recipes... perhaps involving pickle juice.

I have not taken action against you and in making the following statements I am not calling into question the actions that were taken against you. Keep this in mind as you consider the following:

First, I absolutely agree with the point that Chef made when opening this thread. It was the 50 year anniversary of a significant event in American history and that event is obviously forever tied to MLK. I agreed with him that we have exchange on far less reaching and, to some, meaningless topics like would ya, hot for teacher or Miley Cyrus dry humping Thicke on an awards show.

Next, MLK and his calling out out racial issues was clearly a lightening rod. The ensuing conversation likely can't be sterile and without controversy. The issue of race is a potentially highly controversial topic in the fabric of both past and present American society.

Should this thread now be moved to PPP because there are political tones to it? Maybe, but personally I will leave it where it sits.

Well I heard he liked his drink soooo.....

somone upthead said they study King, and there are some questions as to if he borrowed ideas. I have no idea on that one way or the other.

aWhile I am not a King expert or researcher by any means, I believe that MLK did employ speech writers. Heard an interview the other day, and MLK was not getting the reaction from the crowd he wanted, he went off script and started ad libbing, the phrase " I have a dream " was not in the scripted speech. All content after he first says the phrase "I have a dream" was ad libbed.

Now, in the interview I heard, the biographer said not totally off the cuff, that he had the generall ideas of the thoughts/phrases in his early drafts ,and had used I had a dream in earlier speeches , but that day was the first time he actually used those exact words for the speech.

Truly Amazing

It's easier to go off script when you believe what your saying deep down in your heart. I think many of us (I almost said all if us but know that's not true) have that same dream. My favorite Bob Marley lyric is "until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes.". Granted it's taken from a speech made by Haile Selassie but very powerful as a song.

personally i don't see where anything went off the rails in this thread...i think it has been a civil and very respectful conversation about the events of 50 years ago and how we may have lost our way a bit...

Bingo Pooj! It is transcending simple partisan politics, IMO that is why the mods are keeping it.

Yes...and No. I had heard this story before about King going extemporaneous in the dream speech....and found this link after reading your comment.

I'm no expert on King, but it seems as if he had a 'typical' speech writing team (for this event anyway). The great part about the 'dream' speech is that he apparently abandoned the pre-written speech spontaneously. As a result, we were given one of the greatest speeches of all time. That part, although not written down initially, was all King.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carminegallo/2013/08/27/public-speaking-how-mlk-improvised-second-half-of-dream-speech/

Very interesting article that points to the oratory skills of MLK.

It is amazing to consider that when you get the average politician speaking without a script you get some of the most absurd statements. Not even just politicians. Regardless what else MLK Jr did in his life he still had truth to his words and spoke with his heart. I cannot believe he was just a good orator. And I do think many overrate his value in mythical ways similar to George Washington, Lincoln, or Ghandi.

Every so often you hear about this state or that state wanting to secede...or people saying that people of different races should be assigned different places/cities/states to live. If I were King of the World (sorry Peter King), I'd create an area of the country for people who were of the belief that racism is the most pointless, absurd concept to ever creep its way into the human condition. I love diversity and I put that out there at every opportunity. I love being around people who are both similar and different than I am. I've been that way since I was a kid and I'm like that now more than ever. There is no greater expression of ignorance, IMO, than to single out someone because of the color of their skin. I have never understood the idea of taking a position on someone because of a quality that they had no hand in choosing.

As Poojer can most likely confirm, Philadelphia is a wonderfully diverse city. I used to intentionally take the SEPTA train into North Philly to attend main campus of Temple U when I could have instead just made a ten minute drive to the Amber, PA satellite campus. Reason being? The student body of Temple U is composed of people of various ages, from all sorts of cultural backgrounds, from all around the US and the world. Just being able to share in that was EASILY worth the small effort of getting up an hour earlier to account for the travel time, and that's while I was working full-time at night and attending classes full-time in the day. I really think this is a reason why I fell in love with Philly as much as I did. I felt better able to discover who I really was simply by being among those who were so different. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything, and it's a big reason why I'm so proud to be a Temple grad.

Every so often you hear about this state or that state wanting to secede...or people saying that people of different races should be assigned different places/cities/states to live. If I were King of the World (sorry Peter King), I'd create an area of the country for people who were of the belief that racism is the most pointless, absurd concept to ever creep its way into the human condition. I love diversity and I put that out there at every opportunity. I love being around people who are both similar and different than I am. I've been that way since I was a kid and I'm like that now more than ever. There is no greater expression of ignorance, IMO, than to single out someone because of the color of their skin. I have never understood the idea of taking a position on someone because of a quality that they had no hand in choosing.

As Poojer can most likely confirm, Philadelphia is a wonderfully diverse city. I used to intentionally take the SEPTA train into North Philly to attend main campus of Temple U when I could have instead just made a ten minute drive to the Amber, PA satellite campus. Reason being? The student body of Temple U is composed of people of various ages, from all sorts of cultural backgrounds, from all around the US and the world. Just being able to share in that was EASILY worth the small effort of getting up an hour earlier to account for the travel time, and that's while I was working full-time at night and attending classes full-time in the day. I really think this is a reason why I fell in love with Philly as much as I did. I felt better able to discover who I really was simply by being among those who were so different. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything, and it's a big reason why I'm so proud to be a Temple grad.

:lol: Sorry...I can't help laughing when someone extols the virtue of Philly, as to me it's always going to be "The City That Bombed Itself."

We have a bunch of posts regarding Miley Cyrus, Batman cast, Amazing Race, Breaking Bad but nothing about today being the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech. I did a search and to tell you the search function here kind of sucks (or maybe I do for not using it right) and nothing came up. Shame on you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smEqnnklfYs

One of the reasons why I still love this speech is he brought the nation together on the subject of race relations. The March on Washington proved that together black, white , asian, hispanic can make change happen.

The beauty of it all , it was peaceful and powerful at the same time.

That March really forced Congress to finally act on Civil rights. Granted too many Black people had to suffer for this to happen but it happened.

Its funny tho, the organizer of the March was not MLK. Banard Rustin and A. Phillip Randolph were the main 2 that organized the March.

And Rustin was an openly gay man. I saw a piece about his life on PBS one night and what he did for civil rights. If you get a chance to watch it do so . That was one thing I didnt know about the March on Washington. Today I guess it would not be a problem but to be Black AND gay AND a civil right leader?? Back then??

Wow.

But back to the speech and MLK . Dr. King was born to do what he did. God choose him for that role. Nobody else Black in America could have made a speech the way he did.

And Fifty years later there has not been a leader like him period. But I guess non- volence would not go over to well at the Pentagon , a place that is always ready to go to War.