Da'rick Rogers cleared waivers

Im surprised no one claimed him - odds are he was pretty close to league minimum despite the minor battle to obtain his services in the spring.

there almost certainly has to be more going on with this story.

I suspect very few guys cut at this stage get picked up.

Teams are too set on getting their final rosters in place to devote time to a "project". That's what the practice squad is good for and we won't know until Aug 31 what kind of action he'll likely have...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im surprised no one claimed him - odds are he was pretty close to league minimum despite the minor battle to obtain his services in the spring.

there almost certainly has to be more going on with this story.

Why do you think that?

Maybe he is very immature and he is not ready for how tough it is? Sad really, because he has the talent. I work with many 18-23 y/o guys and i try to give them advice. Some take it, but many do not.

Rogers had all of us hoping he was another piece to our puzzle. Unfortunately it does not appear so. He will be in the NFL some where this season on a PS i am sure. Mabe in a year or two his maturity mentally will catch up with his maturity physically.

I suspect very few guys cut at this stage get picked up.

Teams are too set on getting their final rosters in place to devote time to a "project". That's what the practice squad is good for and we won't know until Aug 31 what kind of action he'll likely have...

your suspicion is likely right as this cut typically isnt guys that are on the bubble, so to speak. thats not to say that someone with a high level of talent wouldnt normally get picked up. he has far more talent that his UDFA status, and clearing waivers here. i get the work ethic concerns but still suspect theres something more that is keeping teams away. we see plenty of guys with work ethic concerns on teams. we see plenty of guys with checkered histories get drafted. i still suspect theres more to the story than not always finishing routes and drug use over a year ago.

Why do you think that?

Maybe he is very immature and he is not ready for how tough it is? Sad really, because he has the talent. I work with many 18-23 y/o guys and i try to give them advice. Some take it, but many do not.

Rogers had all of us hoping he was another piece to our puzzle. Unfortunately it does not appear so. He will be in the NFL some where this season on a PS i am sure. Mabe in a year or two his maturity mentally will catch up with his maturity physically.

i say that because ive seen this kid play SEC football, and ive seen plenty of less talented players get longer leashes. that leads me to suspect that his leash was just as long but reports are possibly understated about the troubles (on and off the field). weve had a poster here say that they had heard rumored continuing drug use from a mutual acquaintance, for instance, which could blackball the kid.

your suspicion is likely right as this cut typically isnt guys that are on the bubble, so to speak. thats not to say that someone with a high level of talent wouldnt normally get picked up. he has far more talent that his UDFA status, and clearing waivers here. i get the work ethic concerns but still suspect theres something more that is keeping teams away. we see plenty of guys with work ethic concerns on teams. we see plenty of guys with checkered histories get drafted. i still suspect theres more to the story than not always finishing routes and drug use over a year ago.

i say that because ive seen this kid play SEC football, and ive seen plenty of less talented players get longer leashes. that leads me to suspect that his leash was just as long but reports are possibly understated about the troubles (on and off the field). weve had a poster here say that they had heard rumored continuing drug use from a mutual acquaintance, for instance, which could blackball the kid.

I agree about his talent. I watched him play a couple years back when he was with Tenn. I am a big UGA fan.

And i thought maybe you where getting at the drug thing...shame if true. Piss away a life playing a game and making enough money to live comfortably forever for weed. If so it is really sad.Ii hope not and he just got overwhelmed and needs more time to adjust.

To have him in the stable in case a player goes down. To develop him in-house. So a team in our division hungry for a wide receiver doesn't gobble him up. So we don't have to watch him become a superstar elsewhere.

I realize that the likelihood of him becoming a star is low now, that this some serious writing on the wall. But all of this is based on speculation. So !@#$ it. Who gives a ****?

Apparently, no one else seems to think he will become a superstar either... There are lots of guys who have talent... It's how you use it that matters... To put it another way.... If Marrone doesn't believe he will amount to very much, then why can't you and his other adoring fans accept it? I am not trying to be nasty here... Sincerely, it's time to move on... I care more about the players who have worked harder and apparently shown more to Marrone and the coaching staff than any one guy, no matter how talented he may seem to be....

To have him in the stable in case a player goes down. To develop him in-house. So a team in our division hungry for a wide receiver doesn't gobble him up. So we don't have to watch him become a superstar elsewhere.

I realize that the likelihood of him becoming a star is low now, that this some serious writing on the wall. But all of this is based on speculation. So !@#$ it. Who gives a ****?

Being on our practice squad does not prevent any team from signing him to their roster if they choose.

I agree about his talent. I watched him play a couple years back when he was with Tenn. I am a big UGA fan.

And i thought maybe you where getting at the drug thing...shame if true. Piss away a life playing a game and making enough money to live comfortably forever for weed. If so it is really sad.Ii hope not and he just got overwhelmed and needs more time to adjust.

something just still feels "off" about the whole thing. i know those that had only heard his reputation were underwhelmed come camp when he wasnt a big contributor but the kid can play. obviously you know that if you saw him at Tenn. typically that buys you quite a few second chances, even if you run some lazy routes or dont pay attention as much as you probably should.

even in the draft - honey badger was involved with incidents AFTER he was kicked out of LSU and was still a fairly early pick. darick has got serious talent, hes physically healthy.... it just seems there would need to be bigger strikes for him to not be drafted, be cut and then clear waivers.

Edited by NoSaint

something just still feels "off" about the whole thing. i know those that had only heard his reputation were underwhelmed come camp when he wasnt a big contributor but the kid can play. obviously you know that if you saw him at Tenn. typically that buys you quite a few second chances, even if you run some lazy routes or dont pay attention as much as you probably should.

even in the draft - honey badger was involved with incidents AFTER he was kicked out of LSU and was still a fairly early pick. darick has got serious talent, hes physically healthy.... it just seems there would need to be bigger strikes for him to not be drafted, be cut and then clear waivers.

You are 100% right. His film from Tenn, on a pretty bad Tenn team, would lend him to get a few more tries.

He will be on a PS somewhere. He needs to get his head right. Kid has talent. Size, speed, and athleticism. Those you can not coach. you also can not coach maturity. Guys either grow up and produce, or end up saying 'what might have been' at some point in their life.

Da'Rick Rogers - WR - Free Agent

(8/28/2013 12:32pm et)

Former Buffalo Bills WR Da'Rick Rogers cleared waivers Wednesday, Aug. 28, and is now an unrestricted free-agent. He can be signed to the practice squad any time after 6pm ET Saturday, Aug. 31, once the 53-man rosters are set.

So do the Bills sign him to the practice squad ?

There were some long time posters on here who thought that there was no way that Rogers would clear waivers.

Let me put it this way.........Jason Peters cleared waivers when the Bills cut him in camp.

And the guy that said they don't have an interest in signing Rogers to the PS because they cut him so early.......Peters was cut early as well.

UDFA's without the requisite reputation/attitude can have a hard time latching on, even if they are highly touted like Rogers and Peters were coming out(yes Peters was one of the marvels of the combine and considered by some a late first to third round prospect, not unlike Rogers).

Peters actually visited the Giants....who passed......and then accepted the Bills offer to join the PS.

I am not sure what will happen with Rogers but people should not be the surprised in the least at how this went down........and it may be in Rogers best interest to stay with the team whose system he knows......if the Bills will have him.

Prior to the draft a number of teams interviewed him realizing that they weren't going to use a high draft pick on him. They wanted to get a feel for him as a person. No team decided that he was worth a draft pick. What does that suggest to you? I remember one draft commentator saying that his unimpressive interviews solidified their position that he wasn't worth a pick.

I get the impression that he lacks the mental discipline to stay focused on the field and comprehend the complexity of the game. In college you can rely on your physical talents but in the pro game you have to know the offense and make rapid adjustments.

Don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting that he is a bad kid but at this point he is simply overmatched by the mental side of the game. Maybe in time he will be better prepared to utilize his physical talents. My sense is that he won't be added to our practice squad. At least that is how I see it.

I'm hoping that WR Kaufman and OLB Keith Pough make the practice squad. Both are developmental type players that you can invest in and get a later return.

Excerpted from an online article:

If any team is willing to exercise patience and promote development, especially on the mental side of the game, Rogers can still become a useful and productive player in the NFL.

What plagues the team-less receiver isn't what usually sends young, undrafted players to the curb. Deficiencies in physical talent or an inability to handle the speed and toughness of the NFL game are typical reasons for teams giving up on players.

Rogers' case is different. Only a select few receivers have his combination of size and athleticism. And throughout training camp, he won individual matchups on the Bills' practice field.

He now needs the right team and right teacher to mold the other important parts of his game. With so many teams ready to embrace castoffs and be the team to "fix" a troubled but talented player, it's only a matter of time before Rogers is back in the game somewhere.

No team would pick him up now. Its hard enuf for teams to cut down to 53.

To claim Da'Rick would be to tell the other 75 on that team that "we already know who to cut to get down to 52, so we signed Da'Rick (a project who is better than 23 of you, who have busted ASS for us all summer)"

Clearing waivers = Free Agent = free to sign with anyone. So why would he sign with us?:

Positives:

(1) Knows the offense a little.

(2) Knows the coaches a little.

(3) We believe(d) in him.

(4) Applebee's

Negatives:

(1) We have plenty of WRs.

(2) If somebody gets hurt, he might not be the first one called up. I.E.: if we keep 2 wrs on practice squad.

(3) Money: another team might offer more.

(4) Active Roster: Another team might (crazily) promise to activate him.

Bottom line: He will sign where he thinks his opportunity is best. The bills are kinda stacked at WR.

So I predict he goes elsewhere. I'd guess Pittsburgh, who is looking for a speed threat and a return threat, and has a real QB. Maybe KC. Probably NOT New England, 'cause I dont think he wants to work that hard or grow up that fast.

Edited by maddenboy

Why does everybody get so wrapped up about an undrafted free agent cut and the practice squad anyway? Just asking.

Because many fans were hopeful and looking forward to the Bills getting a talented player who could possibly make an early contribution to the team as an Undrafted FA.

I thought that Rogers would surely be picked up by another team if he was cut, especially this early. Perhaps there is more to the story, but if not, great. I think it sends a huge message to him that not only didn't he get drafted, but he got cut and no one picked him up off waivers despite 13 other teams wanting him after the draft. Hopefully the Bills sign him to the PS.

Why does everybody get so wrapped up about an undrafted free agent cut and the practice squad anyway? Just asking.

The best player the Bills have had in the past 13 years was UDFA.

(I understand many hate him here but he is the only All Pro that the Bills have produced in that period)

The best player the Bills have had in the past 13 years was UDFA.

(I understand many hate him here but he is the only All Pro that the Bills have produced in that period)

Kyle Williams and Jairus Byrd were an all-pros.

He can't be signed to any team's practice squad now. He can be signed by anyone now to their roster but would have to be cut again and clear waivers again to go to the new teams practice squad. I think they will not bring him back until someone gets injured during the year. He may be a mid-season PS signing assuming some other team doesn't sign him. And just to clarify if he is on any team's PS he can be signed off that squad to any other teams 53 man roster.