Is Brandon's plan like the Astros ?

TXBILLSFAN

Did ya'll see this -- Astros make more money losing than teams do winning -- a LOT MORE -- is this the Bills plan ? . . . is this why they are spending over $20M LESS than the cap ?? --- I'm starting to wonderhttp://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2013/08/26/2013-houston-astros-baseballs-worst-team-is-most-profitable-in-history/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2013/08/26/2013-houston-astros-baseballs-worst-team-is-most-profitable-in-history/

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More likely we have a lot of guys that are going to be FAs next year we would like to retain...

then we shouldnt have pushed fitzs cap hit into next year... unless we have some huge front loaded extensions we are about to give out.

To be honest, I am not sure what has been more painful over the last few days: Watching the way the Bills played against Washington...or reading the posts on this board :wallbash:

How do you explain the Bills be over $20M UNDER the cap this year ? --- why did they push Fitz cap hit into next year ? ---

To be honest, I am not sure what has been more painful over the last few days: Watching the way the Bills played against Washington...or reading the posts on this board :wallbash:

I'm with you on this.

1) MLB is a completely different animal.

2) Ralph Wilson wants to win, Russ Brandon wants to win everybody down to the guy that takes out the trash at One Bills Drive wants to win. Winning fills the seats. Makes contract negotiations easier. Makes free agent signings easier. Makes getting new stadium with more boxes and profit centers easier.

There is no conspiracy.

Edited by chris heff

I'm with you on this.

1) MLB is a completely different animal.

2) Ralph Wilson wants to win, Russ Brandon wants to win everybody down to the guy that takes out the trash at One Bills Drive wants to win. Winning fills the seats. Makes contract negotiations easier. Makes free agent signings easier. Makes getting new stadium with more boxes and profit centers easier.

There is no conspiracy.

Again, I ask, why are the Bills $20M under the cap this year and pushing Fitz's dead money into next year -- it's completely illogical --- sign / retain some players with the cap space they have this year -- if you create the space this year USE IT ---- I don't want to hear next year that they don't have cap space to sign FA's or retain Wood and Spiller ---

it is a convo that is worth having. what have they done to show they are dedicated to winning? after Russ brandon's presser saying they wanted to resign their own and what not and watching levitre walk when they had more than enough money to sign both byrd and he it doesnt make much sense. as the future salaries. we have wood-spiller coming up but its the cash to cap spending style that i dont understand. its not my money so they can spend the way they see fit. but pushing fitz's dead money sure makes it look like business as usual over there at OBD.

Did ya'll see this -- Astros make more money losing than teams do winning -- a LOT MORE -- is this the Bills plan ? . . . is this why they are spending over $20M LESS than the cap ?? --- I'm starting to wonderhttp://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2013/08/26/2013-houston-astros-baseballs-worst-team-is-most-profitable-in-history/

http://www.forbes.co...ble-in-history/

Also...

How does the new stadium bag policy tie into Brandon's desire to lose?

And they always take FA's to Tempo, what's up with that?

And just who IS this suspicious cab drive that Berman always refers to?

And once, in the 90's, they had a Marlboro billboard in the stadium but *you couldn't smoke* in the stadium - it... made... no... sense...

Explain yourself Mr. Brandon, explain yourself!

then we shouldnt have pushed fitzs cap hit into next year... unless we have some huge front loaded extensions we are about to give out.

This infuriates me, too, more than anything else I've seen from the team. Why isn't the media hounding management for this?

it is a convo that is worth having. what have they done to show they are dedicated to winning? after Russ brandon's presser saying they wanted to resign their own and what not and watching levitre walk when they had more than enough money to sign both byrd and he it doesnt make much sense. as the future salaries. we have wood-spiller coming up but its the cash to cap spending style that i dont understand. its not my money so they can spend the way they see fit. but pushing fitz's dead money sure makes it look like business as usual over there at OBD.

The Packers and Steelers use the same system.

Again, I ask, why are the Bills $20M under the cap this year and pushing Fitz's dead money into next year -- it's completely illogical --- sign / retain some players with the cap space they have this year -- if you create the space this year USE IT ---- I don't want to hear next year that they don't have cap space to sign FA's or retain Wood and Spiller ---

It is dead money. We aren't 20 mil under the cap, Fitz's and others contracts are taken into account, the Bills are saving cash. We do have quite a few contracts to re-up next year. The Bills will be a little close next year to the cap, but the following year will be made in the shade

Yes, they do, but they also make re-signing their quality young veterans a priority rather than creating holes to save cap space. No way Levitre and Byrd would have been handled the way the Bills handled them.

No.

For starters, the Astros have the former St. Louis Vice President of Scouting and Player Development, so they reached out to a very good organization to build things from the ground up. Really, the ground up. Like, they decided to hit rock bottom and make things hurt for awhile while acquiring high ceiling talent in the lower ranks. Their intention was not to make money while losing, but to build the organization with shrewd acquisitions and a stronger scouting system.

Baseball has a luxury tax that football doesn't have where the poor teams are subsidized by the overspenders. Revenue sharing is entirely different in the NFL. And, you can turn things around more quickly in the NFL by hiring a new coaching staff that can adapt to the talent on hand. MLB rosters are significantly smaller and every piece matters more, so to speak. In baseball you also have different kinds of cost control -- arbitration for everyone as opposed to franchising one guy.

Now, granted, the Astros took a lot of money to move to the American League where their lot in life is significantly more difficult. But they moved to the AL West where everyone in direct competition has some deficiencies, save for maybe the Rangers.

The basic premise here is let's not base our theories on a single article in Forbes. The situation could not be more different for these two teams.

and it is working out great for us.........

business as usual. lets be real. if not for the bills lucking into bruce/kelly/thurman and company the org as a whole has consistently been a loser. 56 games below .500 and if you dont count that 90s team.. its ugly. so why should we trust they are doing the right thing in the front office?

It is dead money. We aren't 20 mil under the cap, Fitz's and others contracts are taken into account, the Bills are saving cash. We do have quite a few contracts to re-up next year. The Bills will be a little close next year to the cap, but the following year will be made in the shade

This is actually MUCH WORSE than you think --- The Bills are $23.3M UNDER the cap as of today --- that figure includes $3M from Fitz (referred to as DEAD MONEY) --- Next year, they will incur an additional $7M in Fitz dead money --- so, I ask AGAIN, why ?? -- why are they amortizing $7M from Fitz into 2014 and lowering the cap hit in 2013 and then NOT SPENDING that money ?? --- So, next year, when Whaley and Brandon say they are spending to the cap and can't sign any FA's or can't extend Wood or Spiller --- revisit this post --- these guys (Brandon) is managing this team for a profit -- NOT to WIN !! -- there is no other rational explanation --- unless someone on this board can come up with one