The Bills offseason (sans draft) was brutal

I don't know what the offseason plan for free agency was for the team, but as executed, it was horrible.

1. Levitre. They knew that they would not pay him top of the market before he hit free agency, so not finding an adequate replacement is inexcusable.

2. CBs. We needed a second starter and a third corner this offseason. Instead, the Bills re-sign McKelvin to an oversized contract and do not pick a CB in the draft.

3. LB. We will see about Lawson and Hughes, but Bradham has been a disappointment and Lawson was only a part-time player for the Bengals. The Colts gave up on Hughes. I am not optimistic.

4. Strong Safety. Do we have a capable strong safety on the roster?

5. Tight End. Seems that we are fortunate that Chandler has returned quickly from his ACL injury. Otherwise, the position is very weak.

6. QB. Enough has been written on the board about this.

We had a lot of needs, and we failed to address them, even with significant cap space.

So in your opinion we have not upleveled LB, Safety, QB and WR over the 2012 roster?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay then, let's hear some names of players the Bills should have signed, and track their performances versus the guys the Bills have.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Nnamdi Asomugha, Dunta Robinson, Deangelo Hall, Derek Cox, Aqib Talib, Turrance Newman, Eric Wright ... Just to name a few.

This was one of the deepest CB fields in Free Agency, ever.

We didn't even try.

Edited by microscopes

Can't understand this clubs allergic reaction to having depth at all positions and hence the abiltiy to field a competitive team for a 16 game season.

The deepest CB free agent pool in the short history of free agency and we ....overpay for Leodis McKelvin

Go take a look at the CB's that signed in the market for less of near to the guaranteed money Leodis got.

For reasons unknown we cut two players who took significant snaps on defence, Wilson and Barnett, and replace them with.......Manny Lawson

But we'll shoe horn in a failed CB into the safety slot vacated by a servicable George Wilson and call it a day

Our linebacking corp is now a rookie, a 2nd yr unproven player who may have a drug suspension and a player on his 3rd team

And to top it all off we decide not to pay big bucks to our really good guard and decide to replace his spot with .............a giant nothing

Oh and we pissed off our star safety

I'm not saying the season is a wash, I think we can can field a pretty decent starting 22 but after you put a magnifying glass to the roster you see holes at areas WE created; safety, LB and Left Guard and absolute weakness in the backup roster

Your way off base --- this is NOT a win-NOW team -- we all should realize that --- the blame goes to NIX, not Whaley for the state of the roster pre-draft --- so, let's evaluate Whaley from that starting point --- that's only fair --- The draft (at this stage) looks very good --- promising QB, ILB and 2 WR's in the first 4 picks --- jury is out on the S's, TE --- Kicker wins job --- FA signings --- Lawson looks as good and is better fit in D than Barnett (who will struggle to make a 53-man roster) --- Hughes-Sheppard trade looks like BIG WIN for Bills ---- over-paying to keep Levitre was an option, but RG's are generally "easy to find" -- I suspect that will be our 2nd round pick in next draft --- switching A Williams to safety will salvage that kid's career and he is upgrade to a fast aging Wilson ---- CB is biggest issue on roster (will be our 1st round pick in 2014) -- I'll cede that point and Whaley (I suspect) will scour the waiver wire next week for a legitimate #3 to use as our #2 -- (ugh) ----

In terms of free agency, I don't believe that we have "upleveled" safety or QB. We will see about LB. It will depend on the play of Hughes and Lawson, but I am not sure whether either player was particularly sought after. I excluded WR because we opted to try to improve that group through the draft. Our o-line could be added to the list, since the free agent acquisitions we made are inferior to the players we lost (Levtire and Reinhart).

Your way off base --- this is NOT a win-NOW team -- we all should realize that --- the blame goes to NIX, not Whaley for the state of the roster pre-draft --- so, let's evaluate Whaley from that starting point --- that's only fair --- The draft (at this stage) looks very good --- promising QB, ILB and 2 WR's in the first 4 picks --- jury is out on the S's, TE --- Kicker wins job --- FA signings --- Lawson looks as good and is better fit in D than Barnett (who will struggle to make a 53-man roster) --- Hughes-Sheppard trade looks like BIG WIN for Bills ---- over-paying to keep Levitre was an option, but RG's are generally "easy to find" -- I suspect that will be our 2nd round pick in next draft --- switching A Williams to safety will salvage that kid's career and he is upgrade to a fast aging Wilson ---- CB is biggest issue on roster (will be our 1st round pick in 2014) -- I'll cede that point and Whaley (I suspect) will scour the waiver wire next week for a legitimate #3 to use as our #2 -- (ugh) ----

Nothing like being a win-later team after 13 seasons without winning double digits and through 4 separate rebuilds. Was Whaley allowed to make decisions from February 2010-April 2013 when he was Nix's understudy? It's hard to tell.

then we shouldve taken the hit on cutting fitz now. there is absolutely no excuse for being over 20m under the cap and pushing a 7m hit into next year.

It boggles the mind...There were a TON of one year options out there at a bunch of depth areas...

So...What exactly was the plan? I get not signing big long-term deals with players like Woody, Carrington, and a CJ extension coming up soon...But exactly what could it have hurt to use a bit of that space to bring in a couple insurance players for a year or two?...Especially at CB and OG where everyone knew we were paper thin... B-)

It boggles the mind...There were a TON of one year options out there at a bunch of depth areas...

So...What exactly was the plan? I get not signing big long-term deals with players like Woody, Carrington, and a CJ extension coming up soon...But exactly what could it have hurt to use a bit of that space to bring in a couple insurance players for a year or two?...Especially at CB and OG where everyone knew we were paper thin... B-)

Sure sure. Hindsight is 20/20. :bag:

What? I'm still listening to the echoes of applause for all the money saved. :ph34r:

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Nnamdi Asomugha, Dunta Robinson, Deangelo Hall, Derek Cox, Aqib Talib, Turrance Newman, Eric Wright ... Just to name a few.

This was one of the deepest CB fields in Free Agency, ever.

We didn't even try.

None of the above are world-beaters. And wait a week and most of them will be available again.

Yes. Set aside anything that is good with the Bills and we look like a disaster. <_<

heres the thing PTR - you are looking for good moves, and there are some. im glad we traded some guys wed cut for possible contributors, i think lawson was a good signing, glad we drafted a qb to take a shot with.... but on a systematic level if we are still a team that will carry 20m+ of unused cap while pushing 7m in cap hits into next season we are organizationally flawed in a way that will effect us greatly moving forward. its not about levitre, or byrd, or a mid level veteran corner its about realizing that the cap is a perishable and limited resource that we have to get maximum value from and we absolutely didnt do that. thats not bad luck, or needs not meeting opportunity, or any other excusable offense - that is an organization saying "we are not going to use all the resources afforded to us in order to win, in fact we are going to minimize spending despite its effect on the field."

Edited by NoSaint

The issue I have with the Byrd situation is the fact that the Bills have so much cap space. If you are not going to spend money on a pro-Bowl caliber player in an area of need, where will you spend the money.

I know...anytime you can overpay for a bad DB, you gotta do it.