The Bills offseason (sans draft) was brutal

Can't understand this clubs allergic reaction to having depth at all positions and hence the abiltiy to field a competitive team for a 16 game season.

The deepest CB free agent pool in the short history of free agency and we ....overpay for Leodis McKelvin

Go take a look at the CB's that signed in the market for less of near to the guaranteed money Leodis got.

For reasons unknown we cut two players who took significant snaps on defence, Wilson and Barnett, and replace them with.......Manny Lawson

But we'll shoe horn in a failed CB into the safety slot vacated by a servicable George Wilson and call it a day

Our linebacking corp is now a rookie, a 2nd yr unproven player who may have a drug suspension and a player on his 3rd team

And to top it all off we decide not to pay big bucks to our really good guard and decide to replace his spot with .............a giant nothing

Oh and we pissed off our star safety

I'm not saying the season is a wash, I think we can can field a pretty decent starting 22 but after you put a magnifying glass to the roster you see holes at areas WE created; safety, LB and Left Guard and absolute weakness in the backup roster

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by some free agent signings. The first thing Doug Whaley should re-think, is the dumpster diving techniques for 3rd rate players, that Nix perfected. With often disastrous results.

Over pay for a couple of DE's cut one after a single season. Then try to replace a LG, Qb, Cornerbacks, with third rate retreads or UDFA's. Doesn't sound like a recipe for success. Or the way to build a contender.

Not signing Levitre was a !@#$ up. Lawson was a great signing, and the LBers are much improved. Which CB would you of signed? We need McKelvin, especially now. Plus he is an electric return man. I like all the moves the Bills have made, with the exception of Levitre and the handling of Byrd

Not signing Levitre was a !@#$ up. Lawson was a great signing, and the LBers are much improved. Which CB would you of signed? We need McKelvin, especially now. Plus he is an electric return man. I like all the moves the Bills have made, with the exception of Levitre and the handling of Byrd

well, knowing what we know now - not signing one vet CB to the mix or another olineman kind of sucks given our cap situation (ie tons to spend). if we werent making a move we should have eaten fitzs hit this year. didnt have to be a big name huge signing but some reinforcements wouldve been nice.

Edited by NoSaint

Cutting George Wilson is tough on us right now, although he wasnt good last season. Searcy is playing out if position at FS with Byrds absence. It is more of a preseason issue than a regular season issue. Look for him to move back underneath week one with Byrds return. Both those moves will help the secondary, and are an instant upgrade with what we are fielding now.

Aaron Williams will then come in back up either Searcy or line up at corner in large receiver sets is my guess.

What are you supposed to expect with a regime change? Teams that fill holes in 1 year often don't get it right and get more screwed over for doing it then taking their time and getting the right players. For having a new GM and coach this team isn't half bad as far as what holes we have. It's so funny how the attitude on this board goes flying down after a bad preseason game. Barnett and Wilson leaving was addition by subtraction, if I remember didn't Barnett have a terrible season and isn't even on a team at the moment? And Wilson is a backup with the Titans? C'mon man this team is younger talent that is gonna grow together. Mini locker room purge.

letting T. jackson go was a mistake. make the cut if necessary when final cuts are made. Granted he is not a potential superstar, but he is serviceable the little I've seen him with the Seahawks this pre-season. If that would have been done we would not have had to sign in a panic a UDFA, and a Southern cal. surfer, one of which could possibly start a game or two this season.

Hell, it could be argued our draft didn't exactly go well so far. EJ got injured 3 quarters into his career. Hopefully not a sign of things to come. I haven't really seen Woods do much of anything. Alonso has looked good. Goodwin had a couple kick returns, but has done nothing else. Rogers already cut. Tuel will likely be on PS. The two safeties haven't exactly replaced Byrd from what I've read.

But, it's preseason, so we'll see what happens when the real games start.

Edited by Dorkington

Or perhaps the people supervising the personnel department are not giving them the tools to build a roster. Several coaches and GM's before Whaley and Marrone have not succeeded in Buffalo. Some were clearly not good or worse, but failure does not happen in a vacuum.

There needs to be more focus on the people at the top, many of whom have been around for much or all of this decade plus of no playoffs.

While I like the draft a lot there is one thing that makes me angrier than anything else this offseason. Currently the Bills sit at 23 million under the cap!!! You know who else is 20+ million under the cap? The Jags and Browns!!! Someone please give me a solid reason why I should feel that this isn't the Bills just stashing cap room. I would like to think (hope) that they are saving the money to extend players but I can't trust that based on how they operate. I'm normally a defender of this team to a fault but this situation bothers me immensely.

Well we do have over $20 million in cap space good for #28 out of 32.

I understand we are smart with our money, but when a team consistently ranks in the bottom tier year over year in spending the poor results shouldn't shock us.

While I like the draft a lot there is one thing that makes me angrier than anything else this offseason. Currently the Bills sit at 23 million under the cap!!! You know who else is 20+ million under the cap? The Jags and Browns!!! Someone please give me a solid reason why I should feel that this isn't the Bills just stashing cap room. I would like to think (hope) that they are saving the money to extend players but I can't trust that based on how they operate. I'm normally a defender of this team to a fault but this situation bothers me immensely.

We recently were #32 but I noticed its down thanks to Byrd signing his tender.

you should be upset - because they couldve eaten fitzs hit this year and still been 15m under. instead we are wasting everything we rolled over last year AND starting with a significantly lowered cap next year. disaster.

Edited by NoSaint

So I'm guessing with the injury timeline being what it is Gilmore goes PUP?

Obviously the Bills are going to be eyeing that final cut-down for Corners...Maybe they pick up something decent...At this point it's pretty easy to assume a CB will be cut in the NFL that is better than the Bills last CB on the Roster... B-)

So I'm guessing with the injury timeline being what it is Gilmore goes PUP?

Obviously the Bills are going to be eyeing that final cut-down for Corners...Maybe they pick up something decent...At this point it's pretty easy to assume a CB will be cut in the NFL that is better than the Bills last CB on the Roster... B-)

hes already suited up - no PUP. they can IR him with the designation to return, or just have him inactive gamedays

you should be upset - because they couldve eaten fitzs hit this year and still been 15m under. instead we are wasting everything we rolled over last year AND starting with a significantly lowered cap next year. disaster.

Thanks for making me feel worse! :death::cry::lol: