Gov't Shutdown...How Will We Know?

What would come next when soldiers aren't paid, when seniors fear for their Medicare and Social Security, and when the FBI is off duty

Looking back at any of the previous government shutdowns, can you point to an example of when soldiers weren't paid? Or the FBI was off duty?

Go ahead, we'll wait for your response

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking back at any of the previous government shutdowns, can you point to an example of when soldiers weren't paid? Or the FBI was off duty?

Go ahead, we'll wait for your response

Coming close. I have seen when an DoD agency almost can't make payroll. Again, maybe it won't happen, but we are coming close from time to time. I know of another time when a impact Visa card purchase was declined... On an emergency maintenance item... Oh my, how funny... LoL...

What would come next when soldiers aren't paid, when seniors fear for their Medicare and Social Security, and when the FBI is off duty

I know, it's tragic. My neighbor trains dogs for the FBI. When the government shuts down, he's legally required to stop doing his job taking care of the dogs and either set them loose or kill them...

Coming close. I have seen when an DoD agency almost can't make payroll. Again, maybe it won't happen, but we are coming close from time to time. I know of another time when a impact Visa card purchase was declined... On an emergency maintenance item... Oh my, how funny... LoL...

There's a difference between the soldiers not getting paid and the public sector union employee not getting his god given perk

There's a difference between the soldiers not getting paid and the public sector union employee not getting his god given perk

Is there? You're an idiot.

I work with a guy that did five tours between Iraq and Afghanistan... Marine infantry combat. Both he and I CHOOSE not to be in the union. What about our civilan co-workers serving the military side of the mission? Even as we speak?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Is there? You're an idiot.

I work with a guy that did five tours between Iraq and Afghanistan... Marine infantry combat. Both he and I CHOOSE not to be in the union. What about our civilan co-workers serving the military side of the mission? Even as we speak?

:lol:

Says the guy hunting asian carp in Illinois off the governments dime

I live and work in Hampton Roads, Virginia. The largest concentration of military industrial complex in the world.

I've learned to spot the difference between between the folks who do a genuine public service and the looters suckling off the public teet

Edited by /dev/null

:lol:

Says the guy hunting asian carp in Illinois off the governments dime

I live and work in Hampton Roads, Virginia. The largest concentration of military industrial complex in the world.

I've learned to spot the difference between between the folks who do a genuine public service and those suckling off the public teet

Seriously. Why do you spread misinformation? Get it straight, I don't hunt Asian carp. I never have, I have been doing the same thing for 20+ years, even before the fish grabbed public attention. My job is to let the fish through, that is the opposite of hunting. Yes, let them enter the Great Lakes if they so happen to swim by. Why do you keep saying I am hunting carp? Is this a joke? I am not a biologist. I do not work for Fish & Wildlife, DNR... I work for the DoD Army. I would want nothing better than the gov't to stop wasting your's and my money on chasing these ghosts. Do you actually know what I do? What you are saying just doesn't make sense. Do you know what side of the argument I am on when it comes to the fish? Probably your side. For the record, I think the gov't needs to basically do nothing, except the bare minimum. Mother nature will do what she wants in the end... The genie is out of the bottle.

Now... The guys actually hunting the carp (Fish & Wildlife, commercial fisherman, DNR guys, biologists, etc...) are the ones sucking off the giant gov't boondoogle. What more do you want me to say with this whole carp boondoogle? I just go to work and make sure the shipping economy moves. When are you going to get your facts straight and figure out which people are doing what?

Again... Do you know where I actually stand on all this? Do you have a clearer picture now?

Really... You claim to know the military complex, but what you state is so far from the truth.

Seriously. Why do you spread misinformation? Get it straight, I don't hunt Asian carp. I never have, I have been doing the same thing for 20+ years, even before the fish grabbed public attention. My job is to let the fish through, that is the opposite of hunting. Yes, let them enter the Great Lakes if they so happen to swim by. Why do you keep saying I am hunting carp? Is this a joke? I am not a biologist. I do not work for Fish & Wildlife, DNR... I work for the DoD Army. I would want nothing better than the gov't to stop wasting your's and my money on chasing these ghosts. Do you actually know what I do? What you are saying just doesn't make sense. Do you know what side of the argument I am on when it comes to the fish? Probably your side. For the record, I think the gov't needs to basically do nothing, except the bare minimum. Mother nature will do what she wants in the end... The genie is out of the bottle.

Now... The guys actually hunting the carp (Fish & Wildlife, commercial fisherman, DNR guys, biologists, etc...) are the ones sucking off the giant gov't boondoogle. What more do you want me to say with this whole carp boondoogle? I just go to work and make sure the shipping economy moves. When are you going to get your facts straight and figure out which people are doing what?

Again... Do you know where I actually stand on all this? Do you have a clearer picture now?

Really... You claim to know the military complex, but what you state is so far from the truth.

aww, did i huwt his wittle feewings?

One could thing about a gov't shutdown is that they it might actually kill the Asian carp funding waste. You think they'd stop paying the electric bill on the fish barrier? Good money after bad money is being wasted on the program... And a lot of it is funneling into eDNA technology... Most likely licensed to Notre Dame. Everybody is now picking up this tech.

aww, did i huwt his wittle feewings?

No. Not @ all /dev... I am not hurt @ all, I am just stunned that you are so wrong and misguided. You are a pretty smart guy and can figure a lot out... Are you really this off base? Out of touch? Do you know what is going on? I like you, we joke... We get along to an extent. But I just don't understand if you are serious or not? You actually think I get funded by this fish stuff? Huh? I am confused on how you would think this. My wage has been been coming out of the same place as it has been since it was first appropriated by Congress with the Rivers and Harbors Act... That's going on over a 100 years now... It has nothing to do w/the fish.

I am not sure if you are joking or serious? Are you really this misguided?

One could thing about a gov't shutdown is that they it might actually kill the Asian carp funding waste. You think they'd stop paying the electric bill on the fish barrier? Good money after bad money is being wasted on the program... And a lot of it is funneling into eDNA technology... Most likely licensed to Notre Dame. Everybody is now picking up this tech.

Damn those Irish! :rolleyes:

No. Not @ all /dev... I am not hurt @ all, I am just stunned that you are so wrong and misguided. You are a pretty smart guy and can figure a lot out... Are you really this off base? Out of touch? Do you know what is going on? I like you, we joke... We get along to an extent. But I just don't understand if you are serious or not? You actually think I get funded by this fish stuff? Huh? I am confused on how you would think this. My wage has been been coming out of the same place as it has been since it was first appropriated by Congress with the Rivers and Harbors Act... That's going on over a 100 years now... It has nothing to do w/the fish.

I am not sure if you are joking or serious? Are you really this misguided?

Am I misguided or do you see a greater need than is really there?

For the record, this past summer's furlough totally missed me an my co-workers... We worked on through. Of course some were affected. Like people in HR. I have been through gov't shutdowns before... And never missed a beat. That's not boosting, but when it comes to the essentials... We are already a skeleton crew... No way the gov't is going to put millions of people @ flood risk, sanitary risk and jepardize the thrid largest metro area in the United States. That is some serious sh*t if they do. To: Gatorman and the other libs... It just won't happen with essential missions. Of course they may cut tours to the White House... That is a non-essential mission.

They aren't going to shut down the CAW's just as much as they are NOT going to shut down the Washington Aqueduct.

Am I misguided or do you see a greater need than is really there?

I brought up the Washington Aqueduct. Is that a great need? Are they going to shut that down? In essence we are carrying out the same mission... Just for a different area (Chicago Metro).

You mean the ACoE? Not even close to the same as military personnel not getting paid.

Gees, if the government of Alaska shut down almost 1/4 of the workforce would be idled. Conservative Alaska has the highest number of people as a percentage working for the government

what happens during a government shutdown? if wikipedia can be considered a 'neutral' source:

'In U.S. politics, a government shutdown is a situation in which the government stops providing all but "essential" services.[1] Typically, services that continue despite a shutdown include police, fire fighting, the National Weather Service and its parent agencies, the postal service, armed forces, utilities, air traffic management, and corrections (the penal system)'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_shutdown

what happens during a government shutdown? if wikipedia can be considered a 'neutral' source:

'In U.S. politics, a government shutdown is a situation in which the government stops providing all but "essential" services.[1] Typically, services that continue despite a shutdown include police, fire fighting, the National Weather Service and its parent agencies, the postal service, armed forces, utilities, air traffic management, and corrections (the penal system)'

http://en.wikipedia....rnment_shutdown

It's hard to shut down a penal system.

The sudden release of prisoners could be quite messy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_shutdown

Thanks... I couldn't remember what years it was. It was 1995 into 1996... We didn't miss a beat @ my work. I think I was hoping they'd send us home, but they never did... Still had to work Christmas and New Year's... In the last 53 years my work has been around, there has always been @ least 2 people there 24/7/365... Would have been nice to shut down for the holidays... I could have went back home to see family in BFLO. Well there was one time after 911 that they evacuated because of a bomb threat... I guess that doesn't count. It was only for an hour or so.

Anyway... I think this is could be like the 20th shutdown in history. ??

It's hard to shut down a penal system.

The sudden release of prisoners could be quite messy.

Why? Just lock the place up and say to the prisoners: "We will be back in 3 weeks, behave... On you honor now!"

:-P