Is This Law Racist?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Washington Post poll showed 74 percent of adults support requiring voters to show photo identification at the polls to 23 percent who oppose such measures. 48 percent said they feel voter fraud is a “major problem” and 33 percent said this was a “minor problem.” Only 14 percent said voter fraud was “not a problem.”

Across ideology and demographics, support in the poll for voter I.D. was strong. 86 percent of self-identified Republicans support voter I.D. measures. 67 percent of independents and 60 percent of Democrats also voiced their support. 78 percent of white adults, 65 percent of African Americans and 64 percent of Hispanics support voter I.D. 75 percent of men and 73 percent of women agree: voter I.D. laws are necessary.

Edited by B-Man

The Washington Post poll showed 74 percent of adults support requiring voters to show photo identification at the polls to 23 percent who oppose such measures. 48 percent said they feel voter fraud is a “major problem” and 33 percent said this was a “minor problem.” Only 14 percent said voter fraud was “not a problem.”

Across ideology and demographics, support in the poll for voter I.D. was strong. 86 percent of self-identified Republicans support voter I.D. measures. 67 percent of independents and 60 percent of Democrats also voiced their support. 78 percent of white adults, 65 percent of African Americans and 64 percent of Hispanics support voter I.D. 75 percent of men and 73 percent of women agree: voter I.D. laws are necessary.

They key word in those stats is Adults. Gatorchild doesn't fit in that demographic.

Man, I remember back when the Democratic Party used to be the party of the working man. Now their just the party of the man who doesn't want to work.

Man, I remember back when the Democratic Party used to be the party of the working man. Now their just the party of the man who doesn't want to work.

Man, I remember back when self-declared Libertarian wise-men used to be the party of no needless regulation on life. Now their just the party of needless regulation citing opinion poles and not evidence. :)

Voter impersonation is not real. Regardless of what you want to say about the law, that will not change the fact that it is needless.

Edited by SameOldBills

I just didn't realize that Americans voting and thus playing some small role in governing themselves was a premise that I needed to back with a mountain of support.

When zoomed out to a certain level of abstraction you can make your case sound completely unretarded. I guess I just got lawyered.

Man, I remember back when self-declared Libertarian wise-men used to be the party of no needless regulation on life. Now their just the party of needless regulation citing opinion poles and not evidence. :)

Voter impersonation is not real. Regardless of what you want to say about the law, that will not change the fact that it is needless.

Sorry, not going to fly, though I do appreciate the snark.

Libertarians aren't against all regulation. Many of our laws are quite necessary to the protection of our lives and our liberties.

I, for one, don't believe that the franchise is a right; but rather a privilege which should be earned. I feel the same way about citizenship. I'm a firm believer in meritocracy.

I just DO NOT get the hyposcrisy between the absentee and the in-person voting process. Let me get this straight. So the people that are saying anybody can vote absentee and not show ID can. Yet, in person, they have to show ID. Then, the pro-ID people go on to say that it is fine to cheat/commit fraud through absentee balloting. Huh? That is the real indicator of where the actual fraud is being committed, absentee balloting. Yet, they claim the boogyman is doing it in-person.

It is either all ID or no ID. When I say no ID, I mean, state who the person is and sign... Then vote... Just like one would w/an absentee ballot (they have election judges as witnesses too that watch you sign... Iowa years ago for me). All voting has to be the same, no matter if one mails the ballot or personally scans it into the voting box. How hypocritical to go after one practice.

Again... I am all for reforming the voting system and forcing people to show picture ID beyond the time honored practice of stating name and signing an affidavit (that is what you are basically doing when you sign). Every state I have voted in, that is what I have done... NYS, IL, and Iowa. I have never shown an ID. I just state my name... The old battleaxe election judge (usually Republican, since I am a registered Democrat... Some old battleaxe Democrat election judge is checking the Republican voters) looks for my name in the voter roll and has me sign... They give me a ballot and a receipt... I vote. Same thing when I voted absentee in Iowa one year.

Why the double standard between absentee and in-person voting? I am fine w/ID... But don't tell me people can just commit fraud via an absentee ballot. Isn't that admiiting that fraud is being committed? Oh my!

IMO, what I have seen... Even being in the Chicago area... There is no cheating @ the in-person level... Very much regulated. Now, absentee balloting I can see the opening to cheat. Heck, it is only a signature. How would they prove (probably why they just 86 the absentee vote in the end) that affidavit in court? Nobody has first hand knowledge, to testify in court, of a person signing it... Except maybe the witness who signed along w/it... Which can be bogus too.

That leads me to another thing... Absentee ballot can be rather flimsy... They can be easy tossed if fought. From what I have seen/done and who I have delivered absentees for via the mail... They require a witness to sign. In-person, the witness is the ELECTION JUDGE. In-person is more of a lock tight way to get your vote counted. Absentee ballot, your vote may not count... YET, an absentee ballot is a high risk-high reward way of voting. Get that fraudulant absentee to stick and no trace of WhoTF actually voted. There is no personal account like an in-person voter by an election judge.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

How is it racist in this application but not in countless others?

This is the question they won't answer.

That's because: It's a (not)progressive application! :lol:

You try to debug the thing, but it prints "You're a racist for questioning my logic. Please contact your Justice Department Bureaucrat." to the console, and then crashes. You go to the support page, click the link for the error message reference, and your email app comes up with some anonymous private account loaded.

Man, what a load of crap. Yeah, libertarians are against driver's licenses. :rolleyes:

Being a competent driver is no different than being a competent voter. It's a simple process, and if you can't swing it: too f'ing bad. We can't keep supporting stupid in this country as though it is a disability of some kind. No. Stupid is a choice.

So, you ARE denying that Democrats have committed massive voter fraud, in 10+ states, over the last 4 elections.

That is denying reality, as many of them are now sitting in jail. I wonder: are they doing an impersonation of sitting in jail, or, are they actually there? :lol:

I imagine if we asked them, they would tell you that their voter impersonation was very real, and so is the jail they are in.

So, like I said: load of crap.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I've been away since this thread was started. I read through this thread tonight and got a pretty good laugh. Gatorchick is either Crayonz messing with you guys or some other troll having a ball, with the possible exception that it is DaveinNorfolk or one of his ilk just being their special stupid. That's a lot of pages to respond to stupid. Be thank full he hasn't ass "rapped" you yet.

Opinion poles on identification czechs, no less...

The Latest Evidence of Voter Fraud — and Discrimination

Obama-administration officials and their liberal camp-followers who routinely claim there is no reason to worry about election integrity because vote fraud is nonexistent suffered some embarrassing setbacks last week.

Federal law requires states to clean up their voter rolls. In 2009, the Obama Justice Department dismissed, with no explanation, a lawsuit filed by the Bush administration asking Missouri for such a clean-up. It has since taken no action against any other state or jurisdiction since it has an unofficial policy of not enforcing this requirement. But private parties are starting to force changes.

In Mississippi last Wednesday, the American Civil Rights Union won a significant victory for election integrity when a federal judge approved a consent decree in which Walthall County agreed to finally clean up its bloated voter-registration list. The county has more registered voters than the Census says it has eligible voters. The ACRU sued the county (which went for Romney in 2012) under Section 8 of the National Voter Registration Act (NVRA), which requires election officials to maintain accurate voter rolls through a regular program that removes ineligible voters.

Walthall County will have to remove felons, noncitizens, decedents, and voters who have moved away from its registration list. As part of the consent decree, the county agreed to start checking its voter list against other state and federal records maintained by the Mississippi DMV, the state departments of vital records and corrections, the local court and local tax authority, the Social Security Administration, and the Department of Homeland Security. The county must also notify local and federal law-enforcement officials when it finds individuals who registered or voted illegally, such as felons and noncitizens. The ACRU has a second suit still pending against Jefferson Davis County, Miss. (which went for Obama in 2012).

{snip}

In North Carolina recently, mounting a criticism of the state’s new voter-ID law, former secretary of state Colin Powell claimed there was no voter fraud. The Voter Integrity Project (VIP), a local citizens’ group concerned with election integrity, released a report on Wednesday that it finally obtained from the North Carolina Board of Elections “after repeated requests.” The report shows that there were 475 cases of election fraud that the Board “believed merited a referral” to prosecutors between 2008 and 2012. The fraud included double voting, impersonation and registration fraud, and illegal voting by noncitizens and felons. Not all of this fraud would have been stopped by voter ID, but there are certainly people willing to engage in fraud and we need to take a comprehensive approach to protect the security of the voting and election process.

Finally, last Tuesday, lawyers for Arnold Davis, the retired Air Force major and resident of Guam who was told he could not register to vote for a plebiscite because he was not a “native inhabitant,” filed a brief in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in his voting-rights lawsuit. NRO previously outlined the details of the blatant racial discrimination being practiced by the territorial government of Guam against those residents who are not members of the Chamorro racial group, whom the government considers the native inhabitants of the island.

Given the error-ridden analysis of the district court judge and the prior case law that is directly on point, this should be a slam-dunk win for Davis. Eric Holder and his Justice Department are nowhere to be found in this case, and he never said a word about this real example of modern Jim Crow when he visited Guam last year.

• 1 month later...