Is This Law Racist?

No.

This exactly where you go wrong, with your cynicism.

The GOAL is to have an honest election, where those who are eligible to vote, ..actually vote.

Not just to have the most voters possible...........what B.S.

And as for your............."I know why" bias , the less said the better...it makes you look foolish.

K. I disagree. That GOAL is not being achieved. That GOAL is only being driven further away from being attained. You made your point about the "I know why" crack and my take on it still stands.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The moment seems right for a word, quixotically uttered or not, concerning the privileges and the duties of citizenship.

It seems recently to have escaped notice that for centuries, privilege and responsibility were intimately linked. Yes, one could do thus and so, but whoever took up that invitation needed to remember such obligations as went along with the right. One could drive a car, for instance, but only at certain speeds in certain places, with the duty of halting at red lights.

The right to vote -- on which modern democratic institutions rest -- is a glorious privilege. Don't certain obligations accompany it, if only by implication?

Where does voter ID come in here? At the point, I'd say, where a "voter" is insufficiently motivated to pick up a free ID card.

But we are told over and over that taking a few moments to drop by a government office amounts to rank displacement of constitutional rights?

The right to vote takes on these days the look and smell of a social entitlement.

Such measures are unfortunately necessary. We live at a moral nadir in the history of the US, where lying, cheating, and mendacity are so common as to be nearly unremarkable. Voter ID insures to some degree that only those who are in fact eligible to vote are doing so,

and it would be nice if the florescent finger paint was used also, just to make sure nobody is voting more than they are entitled to.

no-excuses-again-on-n-2921075-1-619.jpg

http://www.creators....and-wrongs.html

Edited by B-Man

Of course it isn't a big deal. The point is that voting should be more accessible not less, over time. Military =/= Voting btw. Things people in the service have to do is in no way analogous to what average joe should have to do to exercise his right to vote. The only reason voting should take any sort of registration or identification at all is to make it secure. There is no evidence elections have been compromised in any meaningful way by voter impersonation anywhere. I don't know why you guys can't just think logically about this one. Brainwash city. This isn't that hard of a thing to wrap your mind around. Your literally arguing for additional, unnecessary regulations. How is this conservative?

Voting is completely accessible even with an ID being required and anyone who says otherwise is full of crap. I'd much prefer an ID requirement and the ability to cast your vote in ANY precinct over the current situation.

As far as there being "no evidence" of compromise, that's a meaningless argument.

And I'm not "conservative". I'm more libertarian but quite frankly I don't understand the whining over people being forced to show an ID to vote. I've never lived in a state where I didn't have to show an ID AND sign my name. Those are MINIMAL requirements to exercise such a precious right that other people have literally given their lives to protect.

one arguement I never hear anyone make is that by requiring identification in order to vote, you will be protecting YOUR vote from being used as part of someone else's voter scam. you want to make sure nobody steals your vote? they can't steal your vote if they don't have your ID..

If voter ID laws are so blatantly racist then why haven't we seen the same argument applied to buying smokes, liquor, lottery tickets, driving cars, travel, entering bars and the host of other applications for which a photo ID is required?

Because that would require logical thinking. Consider that in California you can walk into a polling place and vote with no ID. But try then to walk into Home Depot and buy a can of spray paint without the assistance of someone who has a key to unlock the gate. If you look young enough, you'll have to show ID. To buy a can of spray paint.

Makes you wonder, why is the spray paint industry so racist?

Edited by LABillzFan

Is there something inherent about, and essential to, blackness which makes it more difficult for a black person to vote absentee?

No, but obviously the Republicans are trying to gain a short term advantage with this law. Why can't the absentee ballot people send in a photo copy of their ID? Seems pretty easy to do....oh that's right, they want those voters to have it as easy as possible to vote, ID or no ID

No, but obviously the Republicans are trying to gain a short term advantage with this law. Why can't the absentee ballot people send in a photo copy of their ID? Seems pretty easy to do....oh that's right, they want those voters to have it as easy as possible to vote, ID or no ID

You haven't demonstrated any of that, so spare us the "obvious" rhetoric. I do appriciate your admission that racism is in no way involved, however.

Voting is completely accessible even with an ID being required and anyone who says otherwise is full of crap. I'd much prefer an ID requirement and the ability to cast your vote in ANY precinct over the current situation.

So you don't think this law is designed to give Republicans a partisan advantage? To me that's the only intent of the law. Fraud was not an issue, the state is very closely contested and the Republicans have found a way to shave off a few percentage points from the Democrats by supressing some black votes. You disagree?

They looked at the statistics and saw blacks voted early more than whites, so they cut early voting. More blacks don't have government IDs. Now the GOP wants everyone to have government issued cards--big government. Whites vote more with absentee ballots so that was left totally alone. Are you stupid?

So you don't think this law is designed to give Republicans a partisan advantage? To me that's the only intent of the law.

Are you stupid?

Perhaps the third time will be a charm.................................though I doubt it.

Anyone..........regardless of skin pigmentation can send in an absentee ballot.

Everyone.......regardless of skin pigmentation has to show an ID when they vote.

The fact that certain groups have a history of voting one way more than another, only is significant to those fevered minds like yourself.

The law is not racist.......................but those who claim it is perhaps are.

Perhaps the third time will be a charm.................................though I doubt it.

Anyone..........regardless of skin pigmentation can send in an absentee ballot.

Everyone.......regardless of skin pigmentation has to show an ID when they vote.

The fact that certain groups have a history of voting one way more than another, only is significant to those fevered minds like yourself.

The law is not racist.......................but those who claim it is perhaps are.

The law was written not to address a problem but to help Republicans win. Period. If fraud was an issue any Tom, Dick or Harry wouldn't be allowed to send in an ballot with no ID. So blindly obvious

The law was written not to address a problem but to help Republicans win. Period. If fraud was an issue any Tom, Dick or Harry wouldn't be allowed to send in an ballot with no ID. So blindly obvious

I know this has been asked of you already several times and you have yet to answer it but maybe I'll try the polite approach. Please explain why it is easier for non-black individuals to vote absentee? And hispanics vote predominantly democrat, why are you not talking about them or are they not as dumb or clueless as African Americans. You're coming across as the the racist one in this debate.

I know this has been asked of you already several times and you have yet to answer it but maybe I'll try the polite approach. Please explain why it is easier for non-black individuals to vote absentee? And hispanics vote predominantly democrat, why are you not talking about them or are they not as dumb or clueless as African Americans. You're coming across as the the racist one in this debate.

Has nothing to do with easier or harder. Its going after what people are use to doing. If you are white you can vote the way you always did in most cases, if black, not so. Ok, Republicans just want to win elections and this will help them.

Has nothing to do with easier or harder. Its going after what people are use to doing. If you are white you can vote the way you always did in most cases, if black, not so. Ok, Republicans just want to win elections and this will help them.

I used to go to the polling place all the time. They I realized how simple it was do to absentee.

So you're saying black people can't change their ways? Why is that? Is it because they're dumb, lazy or a combination of the two? Please explain how you've come to that conclusion.

I used to go to the polling place all the time. They I realized how simple it was do to absentee.

So you're saying black people can't change their ways? Why is that? Is it because they're dumb, lazy or a combination of the two? Please explain how you've come to that conclusion.

The question is, why should they change? What's the intent? To confuse a few thousand people that are not paying attention so Republicans can win? You support that? Come on

The question is, why should they change? What's the intent? To confuse a few thousand people that are not paying attention so Republicans can win? You support that? Come on

So now you're saying blacks are easily confused? You're becoming more racists by the post.